Possible fake Cohibas?

dinnerplate

My very first online CC purchase was from a Canadian website, and it just arrived a few days ago. I purchased (get ready to be shocked) a box of Cohiba Robustos and a box of Montecristo No. 2. Hey, I'm new to this, and wanted some well-knowns. I hadn't had a chance to thoroughly inspect the boxes or the cigars, but box of Montes looked good from initial inspection, at least from the plethora of websites I've read about fakes vs. real. And the Cohibas looked good too, with the exception of two things: 1) the white Habanos S.A. chevron on the upper right was not intact - it looked sliced; 2) the green Republica de Cuba sticker appeared to have two layers - after I peeled a little of the sticker off, it looked like it was placed on another sticker that was previously torn off. Other than that, everything looks perfect. The box has a Havana House sticker on it, a perfectly intact and unsliced hologram sticker going across the seam between the lid and the box, and a sticker with a legitimate bar code on it. The bands look good, with perfect placement and gold embossing. The cigars themselves are nice looking, except they have the occasional green spot on them, which I understand to be just water spots from aging the tobacco. I should note that I spoke with Havana House in Canada first, and they told me they sell to this retailer, which they recommended. And the prices weren't too good to be true, by any means. And it's not a very well known site either.

So it's really just a matter of the Republica de Cuba sticker and the white Habanos S.A. sticker being sliced. My question to you guys is this: have you ever heard of anything like this with the genuine article? I'm truly hoping this is the real deal.

Thanks, guys.

As a side note, I'm waiting on a box from Czar, and won't be going anywhere else.

I'm not at home right now with my potential fakes, so I don't know about the "revisado," but the warranty seal looks like this: imagine if you placed a sticker on a clean surface. Then you peeled it off so only the white fuzzy stuff remains. Then you place a sticker of the exact same size over it, except maybe about 1mm or so off the mark. Does that make sense?

I initially thought the sticker was a double-layer one, to protect against counterfeiting. But I'm telling you, the sticker looks perfect otherwise.

What does "revisado" entail? Some kind of reuse of a box?

Thanks for the quick reply, Colt.

What does "revisado" entail? Some kind of reuse of a box?

From time to time boxes in warehouse get reinspected and have a second warranty seal placed over the first, and normally get a revisado stamp.

I'm no expert in these matters, but the original seal being removed is a little worrisome. My initial thoughts are the possibility of gray market -

which doesn't have to mean counterfeit. Don't fret, and give a little time for others with greater experience on the subject to post.

ok, here are some pics of the suspect items. the first nine are of the box of cohiba robustos, and the final two are of the box of monte no. 2.

there is actually NO "revisado" on it, but the box code is XV 242841, which may apparently indicate that it is one of the checked boxes.

just a note: it turns out that upon closer inspection, i can make out the outline of another warranty sticker underneath the top layer warranty sticker. i don't think you can see it from the photos, but you can definitely see it with the naked eye. so it's actually NOT like a sticker was torn off, then another placed on top of it. i think it was

second note: the warranty sticker didn't come in that state - i peeled it loose to take a better look. it originally came intact, except for the part i stated above. i unfortunately didn't take any photos prior to opening and sorting them in my humidor.

the montes, i think, are fine. the only reason i uploaded photos was because there appeared to be two warranty stickers on there. has anyone seen that before?

thanks for looking!

EDIT: i just entered the serial numbers on the habanos s.a. website for both boxes. the monte's are real. i don't think the cohibas came with the serial number on it on the warranty sticker, the way the monte has it. so i can't check that.

post-5957-1259128939.jpg

post-5957-1259128962.jpg

post-5957-1259128968.jpg

post-5957-1259128974.jpg

post-5957-1259128979.jpg

post-5957-1259128985.jpg

post-5957-1259128990.jpg

post-5957-1259128996.jpg

post-5957-1259129001.jpg

post-5957-1259129006.jpg

post-5957-1259129011.jpg

no ammonia smell as far as i can tell. i actually cracked and smoked one, despite it being only about 5 days since i received them. and they were rather mild, but pretty smooth. TONS of thick, creamy smoke. and i tore apart the nub to see how long the filler leaves were. picture attached.

post-5957-1259136699.jpg

They look real to me. But Im no expert. I think I may know the obscure Canadian site your talking about, and if its the one Im thinking of, theyre legit as far as I know. Never ordered from anywhere other than the Czar, but I did a lot of research into legit sites.

They actually look authentic to me as well. Unfotunately there are a lot of inconsistencies when it comes to Cuban cigars that relate not only to cigar constrution, but packaging as well.

They look good to me...I buy from that site all the time, if it is the one I am thinking about... and they are legit. Great guys, they have a B&M, too...

I wouldn't worry about the Habanos sticker being sliced, normal stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

i think this was just a matter of first-time jitters. i'm pretty sure it's the real deal. that whole waiting a month before lighting up thing, though, is driving me insane. two more weeks, my babies...

as a side note, i've since ordered about 75 or so more sticks from czar, just for peace of mind. a box of RASS, the 2008 sampler, and various other goodies. no fuss, no muss.

• 5 years later...