Drymistat and Diamond Crown Humidifier

dinnerplate

FOH,

I recently purchased a Daniel Marshall 125-count humidor, after keeping my cheapo 25-50 count for about a month. It's amazing. I thought the cheapo was just so beautiful for about two days, and then I hated it for not holding enough. I just hope I don't get around to looking at the DM like it's cramping my style, though I suspect I will.

Anyhow, to keep this new humidor humidified, I purchased a Diamond Crown humidifier, which has a water reservoir and apparently releases moisture through something called a wick system or some such. It's received good reviews; anyone else have any experience with this?

Second issue: with my previous humidor, the cigars up top got plenty of moisture, but the ones below were hard as rocks from lack of humidity. To combat this, I also purchased three Drymistat tubes after asking the makers if I can place them right in the middle of stacks of cigars. They said yes, so I pulled the trigger. It has yet to arrive, but I wanted to ask you guys before I place them in contact with my cigars. Is this a safe method of cigar and Drymistat tube placement?

Also, to aid air circulation, I'm considering stack the cigars not parallel to each other, but one layer vertically, then the next horizontally, then the next vertically, and so forth. I've not seen anything about this, so I'm wondering if anyone else is doing this. Your thoughts? Thanks.

Don't over fill the drymistats as they will leak. I have a few but I'm not sure they work. They do take up very little space compared to my beads. I had 3 electronic humidifiers (1 oasis and 2 hydros) that I have taken out because of my beads. I have two types of beads... Shilalia and the type you get at Marcs (cigarmony) They work great

I've seen, but do not have personal experience with the DC humidifier. My question with any type of humidifier is what if I need to reduce humidity?

Personally, I think that beads or similar are a better alternative to other types of humidification.

As for criss-crossing your cigars, there's nothing wrong with that, but think about it. Cigars are packaged, shipped, stored in warehouses, stored at

merchants as you receive them. It's not something I'd be overly concerned about.

Good luck, and have fun :D

I thought this might be of some interest to some of you.

This is of course not a comprehensive series of tests but one test to demonstrate the recovery ability of a passive humidified refrigerated humidor. In this test I used approximately 20 boxes of cigars acclimated to 63RH at 68 deg. F and used in my newest project. I opened the door for approximately 4 minutes which raised the temperature of the humidor to about 73 deg. F and lowered the RH to the 30's.

I included a quart container holding a block of florist foam saturated with about 6 oz of water. During the test time you can see that the refrigeration cycled several times and each cycle acted somewhat like an active humidifier (by design) as it cycles. Otherwise you will notice that it takes the passive system aided by some intentional design work about 5 hours to recover.

post-79-1258526638.jpg

My Diamond crown leaked and left stain on the inside of my new desktop. I threw the other away just to be safe. I dont like knowing that there is water resting above my sticks.

I highly recomend the humidity beads that are in a cartridge....something new from heartfelt industries. Works great .....no floating water..........attaches to the top just like the others!