Shackleton's South Pole Scotch

SamuraiJack

An awesome discovery. However, don't spirits stop aging in the bottle? Ideally they should taste the same as when they were bottled, right?

I have read so many conflicting reports on aging once bottled. I have chosen to believe aging still occurs, just nothing near the aging that would occur in a "breathing" barrel.

In this case I'm not as interested in the age as I am in being able to taste what these folks were drinking back then. Tasting history.

Quite literally tasting history, pal. I have a one U.S. gallon wicker-enclosed glass jug of Old Crow bourbon that was distilled prior to prohibition in the 1910's that I just recently opened after a 90+ year rest in the glass. It was bottled at 100 proof and there was no age statement on this whiskey, but many in the know say Old Crow was generally aged six years back then.

It has a most remarkable flavor--besides the usual bourbon notes of oak and caramel comes this faint twinge of wintergreen or anise-like flavor that intensifies on the finish. I never have experienced this with any other spirit. The old timers say it has something to do with the old-growth wood used in the barrels then. Whatever it is, I love the taste and I only break this whiskey out a couple of times a year to remind myself what I am missing.

Anyway, sorry for the digression, but this story reminded me of my special bourbon. That scotch ought to be something special if it's intact and wasn't contamined with water, etc.

Quite literally tasting history, pal. I have a one U.S. gallon wicker-enclosed glass jug of Old Crow bourbon that was distilled prior to prohibition in the 1910's that I just recently opened after a 90+ year rest in the glass. It was bottled at 100 proof and there was no age statement on this whiskey, but many in the know say Old Crow was generally aged six years back then.

It has a most remarkable flavor--besides the usual bourbon notes of oak and caramel comes this faint twinge of wintergreen or anise-like flavor that intensifies on the finish. I never have experienced this with any other spirit. The old timers say it has something to do with the old-growth wood used in the barrels then. Whatever it is, I love the taste and I only break this whiskey out a couple of times a year to remind myself what I am missing.

Anyway, sorry for the digression, but this story reminded me of my special bourbon. That scotch ought to be something special if it's intact and wasn't contamined with water, etc.

Very cool. You are a very lucky man. Pre-prohibition...simply amazing.

I have read so many conflicting reports on aging once bottled. I have chosen to believe aging still occurs, just nothing near the aging that would occur in a "breathing" barrel.

i suspect change occurs, rather than 'ageing'. i suspect part of that is a loss of freshness but hopefully balanced but developing more complexity etc.

made the news down here as well. would be amazing. i have some of the very old inner circle rums that were never commercially available but only given to contacts of the csr directors etc. not opened them yet. trying to work out where they fit as different labels.

Man, thats an awesome thing to have around and dip into on occasion. How'd you get something like that?

I got this via a bourbon enthusiast who was renovating a family property that once was an apothecary shop back in 1900. Besides selling medicines et al., the shop sold spirits including Old Crow. The jug has a shipping label tied to the handle indicating that it was shipped via rail from a well-known wholesaler in Boston. Everything seemed on the level and the original wax seal and cork were intact. If I ever have the pleasure of meeting any of you gentlemen, I will surely bring some of this along to enjoy with some fine habanos, of course.