Diplomaticos No. 3....from 08?

ChanceSchmerr

Stopped off at one of my local Victoria, BC cigar stores, one that I trust, but havn't been to in a while. A friend is in town from Ottawa, and I wanted to see if there were any discontinued Coronas for sale at this store that I could pick up to try with my buddy! What Luck! I found a box of Diplomaticos No. 3, the best corona i've tasted so far (in my search for what I'm missing with the demise of coronas), so I eagerly purchased a couple sticks...

Then I thought to myself - "Self, that box you had one from in Vancouver had about 7 years on it - what about this one?"

I asked the proprietor if I could see the box date, and he willingly obliged....whereupon I was met with

OEB Feb 08

Feb 08?????? I thought the Dip #3 had been discontinued in 2006? The box appeared legit, from a quick inspection (i'm no expert). I had picked one cigar from the depleted top row, a little bloom on it indicated to me that it had been here for a little while, but underneath, the bottom row looked much newer, with no bloom whatsoever (but a nice oily wrapper).........

Whats the deal here, are they still making Dip 3s? I trust this tobacconist, none of the cigars I've had from him have ever been poor or questionable quality......

I will be smoking one of them tonight, I'll hopefully the mystery will become clearer after I smoke it!

Purely a guess, as obviously I could not know - the year stamp possibly set incorrectly. I do know that the OEB factory code was used in '06 and early '07.

I do not know if it was used as early as February '06. I also do not know if it has been used again in '08. You could also check the warranty seal numbers

to see where they fall in.

So there are a bunch of I don't knows - big help :)

shrink, I think you may be onto something - I do think it was a 2006 box, not 08....although I was certain it looked like an "8"! I smoked the more aged-looking Dip 3 last night, and my friend had the other Dip 3 i had bought. I got a similar taste profile to the first Dip 3 that I enjoyed so much - so I'm certain it was a legit Dip 3!

My friend is not as experienced with cigars in general, he said he enjoyed it, but was unable to finish more than half of it. As long as he enjoyed it!

Thanks for the input fellas - I do believe it was an 06 box, and I'll have another look next time I check out that store again.

Oh, and hoyopr and shrink? Dead on - excellent smoke, the Dip #3. Love it!