Baseball!

Hello all,

I have been really enjoying watching some baseball lately with the new digital channels here (west oz) broadcasting MLB matches! dodgers and phillies games have been cool to watch!

I was wondering who you guys supported and if you have played any???

As a side note, for the commonwealth people here, I've noticed that cricket and baseball share a lot in common - the basic proposition in both sports being that a player throws/bowls a ball to another player who attempts to hit the ball, with a catcher/stopper behind the batsman. Additionally, fielders placed throughout the area where the batsman attempts to hit the ball try and catch or field the ball to stop the batsmen taking runs/plates.

Different in scoring and duration of a batsmens innings... Any thoughts?...

Also, I had better put some cigar talk in too. What's your favourite 'sports' cigars?? something you can smoke that maybe takes a back seat to the entertainment?

Cheers fellas/ladies!

Dicko

A bit surprised you're getting MLB down under, but glad you're enjoying the games. Yankees fan here, I'm in central NJ about a hour from Yankee stadium. Played ball as a kid but nothing at any higher level. My knowledge of cricket is probably far less than your's of baseball. Actually, I know almost nothing but there has been an influx of immigrants in this area from India, Pakistan, and other countries where cricket is played, and I'm seeing much more of it in the local parks. Don't smoke anything different when watching the games, although occasionally will smoke something special if getting together with friends to watch a game. This is usually at someone's home, as there are very few public places you can smoke in NJ. ;)

dicko...I am a fairly big baseball fan. Actually I'm a big football and basketball fan as well, but int he fall it is all about baseball. Growing up in Southern California, I grew up a Dodgers fan. Even though I lived in Orange County I always preferred the Dodgers to the Angels. I guess it was because my father was a Dodgers fan and those are the games we usually attended. However, now living in NY, I don't get to watch my beloved Dodgers much. Here I root for the Yankees as I would never support another NL team over the Dodgers. While the Dodgers have to win 3 in a row to make it happen...I desperately would love to see a Dodgers/Yankees match up. It harkens back to the 50s and 60s when the Dodgers were still in Brooklyn. That would be something to see. But, as I bleed Dodger Blue...in that heads up battle...I'd be pulling for my Dodgers over the Yanks.

Oops...forgot to add that when I am watching a sporting event...that is when I break out the Churchills and Double Coronas. It is really the only times I have sufficient time to enjoy one of these large vitolas.

I love baseball and usually try to make it to several MLB games each year, although this year that fell through. The closest team to me is the DC Nationals but I've never been a fan. I have always pulled for the Yanks and the Atlanta Braves. The Phillies come next. I've been to all of the stadiums for games many times.

I played baseball from the time I was 6 years old until college. Catcher.

I now coach baseball for boys who are 13-14 years old.

Sorry that I know nothing about cricket. For some reason, it has never picked up around here.

Glad to see you're getting some enjoyment out of it. If you were able to watch the LA/Philly game 4, that is a perfect example of what we formally refer to as a "Big Effing Choke Job".

Can't wait to see my boy Padilla tonight bring it back to LA. The guy's been a STUD!

The older I get, the more baseball becomes my favorite sport to watch and follow. Basketball has always been my favorite, but baseball may have surpassed it.

I'm a die hard White Sox fan, being a south side Chicago boy basically.

Oops...forgot to add that when I am watching a sporting event...that is when I break out the Churchills and Double Coronas. It is really the only times I have sufficient time to enjoy one of these large vitolas.

Yeah right, longer smoking time for a longer game! awesome. Great to hear from you other fellas about your experiences with baseball, im loving it.

Sport is truly one of those uniting experiences. Vetteman, it's interesting that some cricket is being played around your parts, although like with baseball or gridiron over in oz, there is just too many good established sports to make it viable as a large scale sport.

These are happy days for me. My childhood memories growing up in Philly included seeing the PHillies lose a double header in 1960- games 8 & 9 of the infamous 23 game losing streak, watching them lose 10 to blow the lead in 1964 & seeing Steve Carlton lose 2 games the year he won 27. The Phils finally won in 1980, but my father passed away the next day. At least he saw them win. Now all is good...