Second Hand Smoke and Smoking Bans

Article is worthless until report and supporting data are scrutinized.

There is never an objective investigation of these reports.

What I would love to see funded by people interested in truth is an " Report Validity Centre " staffed by internationally respected international scientists and statisticians whom who would be rotated every two years.

Let them assess the data and conclusions and make public comment on the reports in a fair and reasonable way.

Articles like this strike an emotional cord with folks, but clearly lack sufficient information to determine if the statistical claims have any meaning. There are too many variables that contribute to ones health that are not and can not be controlled to a level which make "studies" or "findings" like these meaningful.

What annoys me is that the majority of governing bodies preach that smoking causes such detriment to the public, based on studies such as this with no definite scientific evidence, yet behind the scenes embrace the millions in taxes that they receive each year. Government don't want people to stop smoking, why would they?

The greater portion of the general population believe what the government are falsely preaching and then turn on the people who do smoke in public (cigars are a different story to cigarettes).. Muppets!!

What annoys me is that the majority of governing bodies preach that smoking causes such detriment to the public, based on studies such as this with no definite scientific evidence, yet behind the scenes embrace the millions in taxes that they receive each year. Government don't want people to stop smoking, why would they?

The greater portion of the general population believe what the government are falsely preaching and then turn on the people who do smoke in public (cigars are a different story to cigarettes).. Muppets!!

Hey! Don't diss Beaker! He is my man!!!

This second-hand smoke stuff has always seemed like a total crock to me. Blown WAY out of proportion. A person would probably have to be locked in a closet-sized room with a non-stop chainsmoker for 24 hours straight to inhale as much smoke as a smoker inhales in a single cigarette. Over the course of a lifetime, these smoking bans probably mean the difference between a typical non-smoker being exposed to 1 cigarette worth of smoke instead of 10 cigarettes worth of smoke. Levels so low that it wouldn't make a difference either way.

I wonder what the hell happened to all of the tobacco companies in America. Not too long ago, they were a strong, well-entrenched, all-American special interest group that could easily block any policy shifts that would hurt their bottom line. Now it seems like they have about as much political muscle as the Northern Maine Brotherhood of One-Armed Banjo Players. I recently read that they passed a smoking ban in North Carolina. These multi-billion dollar international corporations can't even put a leash on low-level politicians in their own state. Shameful.