Abstinence

It has been quite a while since I took a day off from having a cigar (prez is smiling).

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I was forced to take two days in a row off.

Well, a box of Siglo I's that have seemed to be OK, all of a sudden tasted fantastic on my first day back (what a long 48 hours!). I just found more distinct flavors.

Is it possible that continual smoking clogs the sinuses, or dulls the palette by "burning out" the nasal passages and tastebuds? I'm no doctor, but maybe I will start taking a few days off each week to see if this trend continues...

I don't know the answer to this, but it does seem logical. Would love to hear from someone who could provide more insight into this. Great post.

I believe so. As well I find it very rare that if I smoke two cigars back to back I seldomly enjoy the second more than the first, regardless of what is being smoked. The might have somthing to do with the quantity of alcohol comsumed at the second cigar. :tantrum: Perhaps I should smoke a Monte 4 and follow it up with a Dip 4 to put that theory to the test.

I find my appreciation increases when I smoke less. It might come from feeling better about moderating myself and allow myself to enjoy the cigar I'm smoking without having to feel the guilt of my wife giving me that look of "How many cigars have you smoked this week?" look.

I think there are both physiological as well as psychological effects.

Physiologically, any food taken on a regular basis will loose a lot of its punch/freshness on the pallet. I think this is just brain-pallet link that gets used to some taste. Think how sweet fruit doesn't taste as sweet if eaten after sweet candy. Plus, smoking definitely numbs your pallet for a while. At least that is my experience.

Psychologically, anything you are looking forward to will be enjoyed more than something done on a regular basis. So after a break, you're looking forward to the cigar which will affect your perception.

But now again, I am no a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. So what do I know? :tantrum:

It has been quite a while since I took a day off from having a cigar

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I was forced to take two days in a row off.

I am so sorry to hear that :tantrum:

Abstinance is not a personal forte but I don't smoke on weekends. The two day break does freshen me up.

I have to say I haven't noticed too much difference in the tasting of first or second cigars excluding perhaps the first few minutes of a new cigar each morning. If anything in our tastings by doing them back to back accentuates the contrast between cigars.

Then again......I am a trained professional <_<

For the second time now I am a believer in this. It's almost like a few days in between smoking "unclogs" your ability to taste.

Wether its in my head or not, I appear to be enjoying the smoke more. Respecting it more.

Hmmm...

I think a large part of it is indeed a psychological factor as people have stated..

We are all enthusiasts which means we immensely enjoy and look forward to the experience of actually smoking the cigar and the state of mind that comes with it.. If you were to light up two consecutive coronas, one would need a large attention span to still be captivated by the experience after the 3+ hours of smoking which in my opinion would inhabit what one is tasting on the palette.