Finally get to see a Cuban Roller!

This weekend my ship is stopping in Vancouver, and my favorite cigar store is hosting a Cuban Master Roller all weekend, I'm so stoked to finally see a real Cuban Cigar Roller perform his magic in front of me! This should be awesome!! :)

Hamlet is in Canada rolling now. If it is Hamlet....pass on a message from Rob Ayala.

"Pero estas gordo maricon" ;)

According to the citycigarcompany.com website, it is Hamlet Paredes who is the Master Roller!

I'll try to take some pictures, if I can!

I'm also happy to pass on your message, Rob....Just hope I don't get punched in the junk for it, because I don't know what it means :) ! Haha

I'm envious. It sounds like it is going to be a phenmoneal experience. Have fun, and do post some pictures.

wow Chance, you will be meeting the best of the best this weekend. Take advantage of it. O, and tell him to roll you some very thin ring gauge cigars- he loves that

Hamlet is in Canada rolling now. If it is Hamlet....pass on a message from Rob Ayala.

"Pero estas gordo maricon" :lol:

Rob I vaguely remember a story of you telling others what to say in languages foreign to them and the subsequent riots that ensued! -LOL

You might wish to carry a firearm if you are conveying messages for Rob. - :lol:

We had a Cuban roller in my town back in the summer (or should I say the months that summer normally occurs in but for some reason not this year). The roller was actually a female and I unfortunately caught her on her lunch break. I was able to sample some of her work which was good and the proceed went to a local Cuban charity.

Had a chance to drop by and meet Hamlet today. For a newbie like myself who's never been to Cuba. This was an AWESOME experience.

The first thing that stuck me how young the man was, as a young guy myself, I didn't expect one of the best Habanos rollers to be so close to my age and look like just another guy on the street. That, combined with his skill and just watching him do what he does best, was just humbling. See-ing how rollers do it, and the precision, level of concentration, and speed of which he rolls was amazing.

I was told that I can come back tomorrow and pick up my limit of 2 custom rolls, after adding my list of the already seemingly long list of people waiting for customs.

Highly recommend for anyone with spare time the next couple days in the next couple days to drop by.

Phil

I took a couple pics on my camera phone but it turned out pretty blurry so I'll refrain from posting.

Wow, what an odyssey to get there! First, my navy ship was scheduled to come to Vancouver on Friday. That got canned when we got called out on a priority mission....anyone who's interested in what we ended up doing, this news link pretty much sums it up -

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/...ed-bc-rcmp.html

Anyway, the original word was that we weren't going to Vancouver at all as a result of our intervention mission. Needless to say, i wasn't too happy, nor could I tell anyone because of a necessary security lockdown! Calmer heads prevailed, and we arrived in Vancouver for an abbreviated visit last night, and this morning I headed to City Cigar in Vancouver to meet Hamlet!

I got there just as he was setting up for the day. What a fantastic guy! Down to earth, a pleasant guy to chat with, and answered every question I had with a well-considered response, all while seamlessly crafting Torpedo cigars! I was spellbound for around an hour, watching him work. Fantastic!

Rob, I passed on your message. I also asked a spanish-speaking shipmate of mine to translate it for me......nice man, nice....haha. Hamlet had a good chuckle when I said the message was from you, he had nothing but good things to say about your store, and told me a little bit about all the touring he's done....then he gave me a nice message to pass back to you! I havn't gotten my shipmate to translate it yet, but here it is....

"No Estoy (Esto Y?) Muy Gordo Pero Trabajando Mucho Nos Vemos En Cuba Cuidate"

I can't tell if he meant Estoy or Esto Y....the letters are close together.

A wonderful experience all around, I'm so glad I was able to meet Hamlet and I'm excited to try some of his work! I will be tasting one of my torpedos on Thursday before my ship returns home.

I also asked him about the small ring gauge cigars. haha I guess I could have guessed his response to that! I was also pleased to know that he prefers longer, bigger smokes like Double Coronas...Very few of my cigar-smoking friends have the patience that I have for DCs and Churchills, and I love a nice long smoke - who cares if it takes 90 mins to smoke? Time Well Spent.

I took a picture of Hamlet at work, but its a cell-phone pic - my camera is on the fritz! Also got a picture of me with him.....but of course it's blurry as all heck. Damn! I will post the one good one after I get home in a week

He mentioned one guy on here by name beside Rob - Punch Joe, Hamlet says hello!

Finally, I picked up one of those RA Celestiales Finos RE Asia Pacific 2009s....anyone else try one yet?

Back out to sea on Monday!

Wow, what an odyssey to get there! First, my navy ship was scheduled to come to Vancouver on Friday. That got canned when we got called out on a priority mission....anyone who's interested in what we ended up doing, this news link pretty much sums it up -

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/...ed-bc-rcmp.html

Anyway, the original word was that we weren't going to Vancouver at all as a result of our intervention mission. Needless to say, i wasn't too happy, nor could I tell anyone because of a necessary security lockdown! Calmer heads prevailed, and we arrived in Vancouver for an abbreviated visit last night, and this morning I headed to City Cigar in Vancouver to meet Hamlet!

I got there just as he was setting up for the day. What a fantastic guy! Down to earth, a pleasant guy to chat with, and answered every question I had with a well-considered response, all while seamlessly crafting Torpedo cigars! I was spellbound for around an hour, watching him work. Fantastic!

Rob, I passed on your message. I also asked a spanish-speaking shipmate of mine to translate it for me......nice man, nice....haha. Hamlet had a good chuckle when I said the message was from you, he had nothing but good things to say about your store, and told me a little bit about all the touring he's done....then he gave me a nice message to pass back to you! I havn't gotten my shipmate to translate it yet, but here it is....

"No Estoy (Esto Y?) Muy Gordo Pero Trabajando Mucho Nos Vemos En Cuba Cuidate"

I can't tell if he meant Estoy or Esto Y....the letters are close together.

A wonderful experience all around, I'm so glad I was able to meet Hamlet and I'm excited to try some of his work! I will be tasting one of my torpedos on Thursday before my ship returns home.

I also asked him about the small ring gauge cigars. haha I guess I could have guessed his response to that! I was also pleased to know that he prefers longer, bigger smokes like Double Coronas...Very few of my cigar-smoking friends have the patience that I have for DCs and Churchills, and I love a nice long smoke - who cares if it takes 90 mins to smoke? Time Well Spent.

I took a picture of Hamlet at work, but its a cell-phone pic - my camera is on the fritz! Also got a picture of me with him.....but of course it's blurry as all heck. Damn! I will post the one good one after I get home in a week

He mentioned one guy on here by name beside Rob - Punch Joe, Hamlet says hello!

Finally, I picked up one of those RA Celestiales Finos RE Asia Pacific 2009s....anyone else try one yet?

Back out to sea on Monday!

Chance...thanks for sharing the experience. Sounds like it was time well spent.