Roman Polanski

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I knew this forum was so full of rednecks, I would be less willing to share my cigar experiences.

"Rednecks"? Have you actually met any of us? The majority of people here are professionals.

1. It's not about guilt -- it's about the right to extradite.

2. The woman who is now 45, has forgiven him.

3. If anyone in this forum does NOT have a sexual episode he is ashamed of, then he can fire the first bullet.

What a bunch of self-righteous wankers.

Are you serious?

The US obtained a Swiss arrest warrant prior to him leaving France for Switzerland. Extradition is legit, especially considering the fact that Swiss authorities signed off on the arrest warrant prior to him arriving there.

Doesn't matter. He broke the law, even had reduced charges based on a plea.

3. If anyone in this forum does NOT have a sexual episode he is ashamed of, then he can fire the first bullet.

I have none.

How are the comments self-righteous?

Just my uneducated redneck $.02 though

Um...I was actually giving you the benefit of the doubt that there might be something else going on aside from a message board discussion to cause you to respond so disproportionately to that discussion.

I haven't even gotten to the margins of "douchey" with you yet, and I won't out of respect for the folks on this board and our hosts.

There's really nothing more for me to say to you...

Interesting. I have a daughter the same age and I am apparently a wanker for not wanting her plied with Campagne and drugs on a photo shoot by a famous man holding all the power in the given situation.

Perhaps there is no defence bar the use of terms such as "Rednecks". I mean, what real defence is there?

By the by Tom. I will step forward. I haven't raped a minor. That may colour my opinion.

The ability of an idividual to expouse a position without reverting to insults has always been a base premise of this forum. I have no idea why you thought you were exempt.

If I knew this forum was so full of rednecks, I would be less willing to share my cigar experiences.

:hungry:

The facts are that in 1977, the 44-year-old Roman Polanski, during a private photo shoot with a 13-year-old girl, gave her champagne, quaaludes and a sedative. Then, despite her telling him that she wanted to go home and “no” and “stop”, he forced himself on her in every way possible including sodomy. All this he admitted in court, then he ran off, paid the girl and her family off, and for the next 30 years screams persecution. I hope most on this board are rednecks if that's what it takes to see this as wrong.

Nobody would wish that on anyone's daughter. How absurd to take that defense. Nobody is implying Polanski was right. What appalls me are those who seek a death penalty based on hearsay and what the press chooses to publish, without knowing the facts. That's redneck. And anti-art, jingoistic anti-France comments are redneck. I was insulted by those opinions. And I wouldn't tolerate any opinion that espoused injustice, such as racism. I thought this was a cool forum, and have been an occasional contributor, and always true gentleman respectful of everyone's opinion without reverting to insults. But I will call it as I see it. And my opinion is that the posts today exhibited a rare redneck quality I had not seen before -- making me ashamed to say I'm a member.

I have two choices, I guess, if these kinds of opinions insult me:

1. Opt out. Withdraw my membership from FOH and forfeit my option to buy cigars online with Cigar-Czar.

2. Remain a member and therefore support the opinions of the moderators and membership.

In the end you will make the decision but be very clear.

1. You took took the option to abuse others. It is the first time it has happened. It is not part of our culture.

2. Anti Art? Anti French? Who...everyone here? That is the accusation which you must know is incorrect. Peoples opinion and breadth of opinion are a bell curve. I have no interest in Polanski dead, I love France but wonder about French Govt support, I enjoy art.

Every time a member here taps a keyboard on a FOH post he has the option to inform, entertain, share or a bit of all. I would have loved to have seen a defence of Polanski based on fact or if not a defence a clarification of how the current situation came to be. The post against the tide of opinion is often the most valuable. It has no value however when couched in personal attack.

You will make up your own mind about what you want to do however I want to reinforce one point. Diversity of opinion is essential and beneficial.

Diversity of opinion provides healthy growth in a community. It surely can't be that bloody difficult to provide a well thought out contrary point without the need to reach the depths of personal abuse.

Since I "sure as hell did", exactly how did I minimize it? By defending his right to habeus corpas? Or by questioning the timing and place of his arrest? Or by being offended that somebody here called for the death penalty?

Don't put words in my mouth, I didn't minimize anything. What I minimized was the lack of compassion and fairness in this forum. Men make mistakes. We are not God, to judge our fellow brethren. Sure, it's despicable, the act he committed (he was never convicted of "rape", by the way, more injustice on the part of commentators here). What person in their right mind condones what he did?

And Pres, if you're idea of "personal attack: and "insult" (you can twist my words and call them that, I guess) is calling an uninformed and unjust opinion "redneck" or the use of the semi-affectionate term "wanker" then, well I don't know, maybe I ought to opt out. I've seen stronger insults when discussing LE's.

I've read alot of this crap about it "being a different time then..." and "that's just Hollywood in the 60's and 70's..." and "the judge was trying to make an unfair example of him...". It's no different there now. They're all a bunch of loons who think they are above the law. Lock him up and let him rot.

Spot on mate. ;)

Hollywood and celebrities all think they are above punishment due to their stature in the industry, money etc and these people in my opinion should be made examples of moreso than the ordinary person because of that very stature. :mad:

Weather one is a beggar and a child abuser or a rich movie director, actor, whatever and also a child abuser, they should all pay the same way. :hungry:

It's funny how Polanski on his day of capture was meant to receive a lifetime achievement award, how fate has played in this and eventual capture by authorities!!! :D

I thought that I had missed something and had to go back and read your posts again Tom to make sure I didn't miss something (I didn't)

FIRST POST:

I'm apolitical. The issue is not guilt -- it's the right to extradite.

SECOND POST:

THIRD POST:

I saw a recent HBO documentary about the Polanski case. The inconsistencies of the trial are too many to list here. The absence of habeus corpas alarming. Take the time to learn the facts of the case before the rush to judgment. He was never convicted of rape. He pled to a lesser charge and it was accepted. Polanski has a home in Switzerland. He's been there hundreds of times in the past 30 years and nobody has arrested him. Why now? Why the grandstanding at a Film Festival?

And no, Tigger -- I was having a great day until I read your moralist posts. All your douchey talk "gravity of the crime", "societal", et al. and your pompous passive/aggressive self-righteousness (your snide "personal reasons unknown" comment is an example). No, thanks. Sorry not for me. I'll leave you to be the perceiving moral center of the universe.

Maybe if you contributed to the thread topic to help inform the 'rednecks', maybe this thread would have been more enjoyable for all of us.

I, for one, can't stand threads like this. It's a simple discussion and terms like 'self-righteous' and 'rednecks' have no place since you don't know any of us and didn't contribute to the thread BEFORE hurling insults.

Do what you like but I like the diversity of a board that is CIVIL.

I am a police detective.......

BTW, I am just interested in cuban cigars and do not have any Bolivar Petite Coronas, or any other cuban cigar in my possession, nor do I smoke them. ;)

Just don't inhale........ :cowpoop:

"3. If anyone in this forum does NOT have a sexual episode he is ashamed of, then he can fire the first bullet." tomwaits

I have 1...and it happens more than I would like to admit. I can be a bit of a 2 pump chump...

word of the day: Chino

when my wife and I are doing the deed sometimes I last 2 or3 minutes and "Chino" like it!

"3. If anyone in this forum does NOT have a sexual episode he is ashamed of, then he can fire the first bullet." tomwaits

I have 1...and it happens more than I would like to admit. I can be a bit of a 2 pump chump...

word of the day: Chino

when my wife and I are doing the deed sometimes I last 2 or3 minutes and "Chino" like it!

That's sad mate, have you heard about the nasal delivery method for maintaining a longer

attention span. :cowpoop:

Spot on mate. :party:

Hollywood and celebrities all think they are above punishment due to their stature in the industry, money etc and these people in my opinion should be made examples of moreso than the ordinary person because of that very stature. :buddies:

Weather one is a beggar and a child abuser or a rich movie director, actor, whatever and also a child abuser, they should all pay the same way. :buddies:

It's funny how Polanski on his day of capture was meant to receive a lifetime achievement award, how fate has played in this and eventual capture by authorities!!! :party:

Very well said. Couldn't be said any better.

Might I add that I share the opinion of many of the "rednecks" on this thread that Polanski should be tried, and if found guilty by a jury of his peers, he should serve out whatever sentence they deem to be appropriate. That's the American justice system for better or for worse.

If I were the judge and jury, however, I would find him guilty, string him up by his short and curlies in a public forum, and allow rape victims and their associated rights groups to stone him to death.

Just my 2 cents, Tom Waits.

I'm not so good at just letting things go sometimes.

I tried, but this:

And Pres, if you're idea of "personal attack: and "insult" (you can twist my words and call them that, I guess) is calling an uninformed and unjust opinion "redneck" or the use of the semi-affectionate term "wanker" then, well I don't know, maybe I ought to opt out. I've seen stronger insults when discussing LE's.

is so disingenuous that I feel compelled to respond.

There's no twisting of words here, other than on your part.

Any standard definition of the word redneck contains descriptors such as "derogatory," "offensive" or "disparaging."

You called people who post here rednecks. Not their opinions, but the people themselves.

Any standard definition of the word "wanker" contains descriptors such as "detestable" or "contemptible."

It's also a word our host has used to describe people who are unwelcome here. That it may be used on occasion in a teasing manner among friends makes it no less insulting when used to demean or belittle people with whom you disagree.

You called people who post here wankers. Not their opinions, but the people themselves.

You further implied regret at having shared your experiences with us.

These are all attacks on people. Not on opinions. Not on the quality of inanimate objects.

There's no honest, logical way you can make any of this any less true.

An acknowledgment that you had done this, followed by a reasoned statement of your concerns about the case at hand would have garnered much more respect than trying to spin what can't be spun.

I'm really not sure if your first derogatory post was directed in part at me. I surely know your second one was, and misguidedly so. If it was, I'll say the following:

-For reasons of my own, largely because there's a potential for innocents to be executed, I'm staunchly opposed to the death penalty

-I don't hate France, or the French. I do believe that French Government protection of a fugitive felon is unjust and indefensible. I also compared that protection to my own country's unjust protection of some of our own citizens. So much for jingoism.

-As I stated previously, art, and the arts are very important. I happen to believe that they don't trump everything, and that fear that artistic expression will somehow be compromised if a felon doesn't feel safe traveling to a film festival is a cop out.

Habeas Corpus (note the spelling please) is a vital, cherished right, and an integral part of our judicial system. Freedom while living under government is impossible without it.

One of these days, I will watch the documentary, as I'm intrigued to see the case that is made to argue that Roman Polanski's right to "produce the body" was violated. It seems a huge stretch to me, so it will be interesting to see.

Whether you've chosen to stay or go makes little difference to me. FOH will be ok with or without any one of us.

It's the community as a whole, with all its charms and worts, that makes it a great place to be...

I am anything but a redneck.

No mateer where or when having non consensual sex with a minor is rape.

Those charges need and should be dealt with in a Court of law.

This case was indeed dealt with in a court of law.

Mr. Polanski plead guilty to other charges that potentially carried jail time.

He fled the country to avoid possible imprisonment.

Let us not sugar coat this because of who he is or length of time taken to bring him back.

He is a fugitive from justice according to the laws of the United States.

He is not beyond the law.

He needs to face the penalty for his acts.

Bring him back to the USA and end this charade.

DSS