R & J Duke L E

asmith

Ken and Rob sat down to review the one of this years Limited Editions the interestingly named Romeo & Julieta Duke. They had both smoked this cigar before and were sitting on the fence about if it should be classified as an LE, will this cigar push them one way or another?

<!--id1--><div><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="

name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" /></embed></object></div><!--id2-->

nice work guys! It sounds like this years EL's while size wise are completely unappealing they may merit a small purchase for the flavor.

oh smithy, we give you hours of gold and you can only scrape out 6 measly minutes. did rob cut your bonus? i dread to think where all the rest of the stuff will end up.

and yes, i was taking a ten minute power nap when he arrived but i had been working till nearly midnight and then up at 4.30 for a flight home. surely i am entitled.

oh smithy, we give you hours of gold and you can only scrape out 6 measly minutes.

Quality Gargett, not quantity, the guys want quality and I searched long and hard to find 6 mins. There was an extra 5 mins of you talking to Ayala about throwing hot water on a snake, or the koala bear on your shirt, but that is not quality, that's just crap.

Smithy, another bang up job. It seems like you've been spending a bit more time behind the camera rather than in front.

A shame, really, especially as it brings the golden commando more to the fore.

I'm giving Gargett time to shine, really make something of these reviews for himselve and Czars. Instead all he seems to do is ash in Ayala's wine.

the one I had was much less distinction, much flatter than the ones reviewed here....ho hum. Does make me want to try another...

why am I so easily led?

:)

good review

it was a dead set surprise to us Andy as our previous tasting of this cigar was much as you found. If pressed to select a box I have a better idea of what to look for in terms of wrapper and aroma from wrapper and foot.

I guess a moderator found my attempt at humor a bit indelicate.

I simply made reference to Rob's habit of repeatedly squeezing his thighs together during the review which I found a bit distracting. The reference to Springsteen music (in Rob's post immediately below) does help to explain.

it was a dead set surprise to us Andy as our previous tasting of this cigar was much as you found. If pressed to select a box I have a better idea of what to look for in terms of wrapper and aroma from wrapper and foot.

S'funny, I'd always assume the first batch, especially of an EL, would be top drawer - at least in terms of uniformity, good or bad. Same with the Trini T: first one I had was outstanding, 90+, second one.....ended up ordering a few Reyes instead ;)

Is true what you say about aroma though, a fine aroma almost always leads to a decent smoke in my experience. Will be interesting to read any reviews done by some of the FoH guys here. The Duke has pedigree, for sure, but whether it delivers time will tell I guess.

what was interesting was that we had another each from the same box after the video, and a few in between, and i think it fair to say neither of us enjoyed it quite as much. good, but not the same fabulous quality. not sure where you go from there.

frustrating when that happens. They are young, mind, so definitely worth a revisit next summer methinks.

Do you find that smoking one after the other affects the taste? If I'm on form, the second one is often better, as my taste buds seem to be in theswing of things, but more often then not I have to take a decent break between smokes, otherwise I end up horizontal having wishing for a cheesburger...

Nice review gents.

Ken, You were the star of this one in my book - had me in in stitches laughing alongside you.

Its a shame this cigar has the proportions of an elephant ****.... because I am actually intrigued by the flavours and profiles that I hear it has. I'd love to give it a go, and may order a single or two... but I just cant bring myself to order a box knowing I will never go for one unless my humidors are otherwise empty.

I cant be sure... but if my speculation is correct - if they had released a RyJ with a significantly smaller ring guage I feel it would have sold like hotcakes, compared to what I expect this to.

frustrating when that happens. They are young, mind, so definitely worth a revisit next summer methinks.

Do you find that smoking one after the other affects the taste? If I'm on form, the second one is often better, as my taste buds seem to be in theswing of things, but more often then not I have to take a decent break between smokes, otherwise I end up horizontal having wishing for a cheesburger...

that is actually a really interesting question that probabloy should be taken further. a really good cigar and i'll usually immediately want another. a dud and i don't want to go anywhere near another for a while.

that is actually a really interesting question that probabloy should be taken further. a really good cigar and i'll usually immediately want another. a dud and i don't want to go anywhere near another for a while.

Definitely true for me - if a cigar goes wrong, especially if it's too heavy on the nicotine I'm put off for quite a while. Bit like when you wake up after a heavy night on the sauce and boldy declare you'll never drink again....that feeling :angry: The habano hangover.

I'm interested from a tasting point of view KG, if you think it makes a difference smoking one after the other. This is completely the wrong word, but I find tobacco smoke to be 'sticky'. The aftertaste - or flavour residue - of whisky, wine or some flavoursome food for me tends to last only a short while. Cigar smoke however seems to stay with you much longer...hours sometimes. So presumably this alters the flavour of your subsequent smokes, especially if it's something different.

That's a very good point. I have often wondered tha myself...

Definitely true for me - if a cigar goes wrong, especially if it's too heavy on the nicotine I'm put off for quite a while. Bit like when you wake up after a heavy night on the sauce and boldy declare you'll never drink again....that feeling :angry: The habano hangover.

I'm interested from a tasting point of view KG, if you think it makes a difference smoking one after the other. This is completely the wrong word, but I find tobacco smoke to be 'sticky'. The aftertaste - or flavour residue - of whisky, wine or some flavoursome food for me tends to last only a short while. Cigar smoke however seems to stay with you much longer...hours sometimes. So presumably this alters the flavour of your subsequent smokes, especially if it's something different.

In the norm no.

We normally film two videos back to back in a week. Just checking some of the results of those videos it looks about even for the number of times we preferred cigar no 1 or cigar no 2.

Then again if we were going to have another cigar after the first Ramon Allones Celestiales Finos video...I doubt I would have been able to do a second until the next day :angry:

In the norm no.

We normally film two videos back to back in a week. Just checking some of the results of those videos it looks about even for the number of times we preferred cigar no 1 or cigar no 2.

Then again if we were going to have another cigar after the first Ramon Allones Celestiales Finos video...I doubt I would have been able to do a second until the next day :lol:

I have faith in you guys, and as such tender my vote for a 3-in-a-row RACF tasting video. In the interests of research of course. My bet on the survivor would be on Smithy, as he actually looked like he was enjoying it in the vid...

Its a shame this cigar has the proportions of an elephant ****....

Coincidentally, I once smoked an elephant ****. Was playing rugby in South Africa, and on a safari in Natal I think and our guide pointed out that the Zulus often smoked it to aid respiratory problems. Might I point out that it was an old, dry ****.