Curing and Fermenting of Cigar Leaf Tobacco

Interesting read indeed.

BTW, no need to purchase, it is in the public domain: you can download a PDF copy here

I also found a full text version and migrated it to a WORD document if anyone is interested. I found this book after reading a 1930's article from the New Yorker. There it talked about the petuning process. I started to Google the process of petuning and found this book. I've also found references to petuning in Zino Davidoff's book. And the recent Travel Channel show on Cuba quoted two vegueros saying that they use a rum or honey solution to spray on the tobacco while drying. The one told the host of the show that honey was the better of the two choices. Does anyone have any comments or questions on the petuning process?

And the recent Travel Channel show on Cuba quoted two vegueros saying that they use a rum or honey solution to spray on the tobacco while drying. The one told the host of the show that honey was the better of the two choices. Does anyone have any comments or questions on the petuning process?

Hmm... you see, after a brief read of that old document, it seems (to me) that during the drying process only water would be used and only when the weather conditions are drier than the optimum required to maintain leaf integrity (which would be compromised by the breeding of bacteria on the leaves if rum or honey were used)... however, that book purports that the specific petuning solutions used in Cuba (in the late 1800's, at least) prior to the fermentation process were closely held as secret by the vegueros...

On the other hand, it seems that petuning solutions have mostly been used in low end tobaccos to alter their flavour...

BTW, here is another oldie that you may enjoy reading (also in PDF format): Culture of Tobacco (by George M. Oldum)

On pages 85-87 in The Culture of Tobacco it mentions the use of petuning for two reasons. The first being to maintain a minimum moisture content during fermentation. And the second to aid in the flavoring of inferior tobacco. Coincidentally it references the book Curing and Fermenting of Cigar Leaf Tobacco by Loew on page 75. Bringing to light the point and importance of bacteria in the process of breaking down enzymes to create the pleasant aromas we all know and love. Loew describes the use of petuning as a place for vibrant bacteria growth on page 19. These books were published a mere 6 years apart. Odlum's references definitely purports his work as a companion to Loew's Paper. Thank you for this other addition to my Cellar.

The cigar business has come a long way since the 1890's, Back then, they didn't even use humidors to store cigars in.

Somethings never change. Many of us don't use humidors, we have coolers, rooms, cellars, online storage facilities, warehouses, and if you're really lucky(your own Vega).... :angry: