Pork shoulder n vino

bunburyist

forgot I had these pics - was back in the UK a while back, and had to cut down a young maple at the family home as it had gotten too big too quick. Few days later, rather than burn the wood figured it would be more fun for a few of us to have a nice mini pit roast. All a bit last minute and turned out all the bbq gear was at a neighbours (on holiday) so as you can see we had to make do with what bits we could dig out of the garage......not ideal but hey, it turned out ok ;)

Two shoulders of pork cooked over wood and charcoal, washed down with a bottle of Chateau Clarke 2000. Not easy to get hold of but definitely the best red I've had this year. Odd size - somewhere between a Jéroboam and an Impériale - enough to do a job on us....

post-5538-1253007344.jpg

post-5538-1253007360.jpg

post-5538-1253007370.jpg

Ahh....I want to go home :flower:

oh about......4-5hrs

got a big heat going with a whole bag of charcoal and some wood in the morning, let it cook down until it was nice n white, took most of it off and put the meat on. Added more as and when. We've got a gas weber capable of doing both, but you can't beat the old fashioned way. I find controlling the heat very hard to do, so normally best to go with a little and take your time. With that much wine, people don't mind waiting B)

EDIT: so timing that was 1.5hrs to cook down the coals, then a 3+hrs for the meat

Very nice as it looks mouth wateringly delicious. Fantatic job on juryrigging a setup like that. 4 to 5 hours to cook, some fine red wine...I hope you had a few good cigars as well while you waited...

Very nice as it looks mouth wateringly delicious. Fantatic job on juryrigging a setup like that. 4 to 5 hours to cook, some fine red wine...I hope you had a few good cigars as well while you waited...

Thanks man - sometimes when things don't go according to plan it makes it all the more fun.

As for the cigars, *ahem* Backwoods *cough*

B)

totally forgot as is customary in this section - how to prepare:

take the pork shoulders (1 feeds 8 guys.....8 fat guys) out of the fridge the night before. Preferably a whole 24hrs if you can, and let the pork air dry. This is crucial if you want to produce nice, crispy crackling. As the pork dries the exterior fat hardens slightly, which is what you want for getting that crackling. Score the fat a cm or two deep, which allows you to pull it away in strips. Rub a little bit of decent sea salt onto the pork and presto, job done.

When you first put the meat on, hold the pork a few inches above the coals, fat side down. This will blister the fat quickly and gets the crackling going. Doesn't take long, but do it by eye as it depends on how much heat you've got. Then (if you've got decent equipment :) lift it up and get turning!

With wood and charcoal, I don't think you need any sauce and besides - 10 apples from a tree and you've got all you need for some perfect apple sauce. We served it up with a little garden salad and crusty white bread. B)

I don't know if it's perspective....but that wine bottle looks awful large. Methuselah?

No - it was indeed massive. Between a Jéroboam and an Impériale. 5 litres (about 6.5 reg bottles), which may be known as a Franzia, but I'm not sure. Link. Someone like KG would probably know.

Either way, great way to get started and makes it more of an event. :lol: