Cohiba Robusto

Hi

Yesterday i decided to light up a Cohiba Robusto, which i got in a single order, the construction where perfect and the wrapper where a nice chocolate milk colored one, just prefect. Smell where pure hay/barnyard, could not complain.

Cut the foot, and there where a a hole... like 5 mm in diameter and just straight into the cigar, looks like someone had taken a rod and just plunged it straight in. Looking at the foot and no hole here.. (could this come from some kind of draw test equipment?)

Draw; tight, to tight, even with the hole, but when running my fingers over the cigar i could not feel any hard/soft spot.

So i light it up and the cigar basically gave me nothing, it was a hard draw and after 1/3 i could feel the nicotine kick in, in the last 1/3 it grew really bitter, and the nicotine where all over the place and i just pitched the cigar..

I am not really a Cohiba lover, but this was just pure bad bad bad, I love a Siglo V and VI, but the Rubusto where miles behind.

Have anyone else have had the same experience or should this cigar just be marked down as "Made in Cuba, by Cuban standards.." or as Forrest Gump said "Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

cheers

I had 2 over the weekend from a sampler pack, thought they were great. Good flavor developement, good construction. I agree with you on the fact that I like Siglos better, but I thought the Robustos were pretty damn good. Yeah, sounds like you had a dud , sorry man.

Much more unusual these days than it was in the early part of the decade/late part of the last, but it can still happen.

Personally, I would have gotten in touch with the vendor who sold it to me and gotten his/her thoughts before I publicly posted about it, but that's just me.

Much more unusual these days than it was in the early part of the decade/late part of the last, but it can still happen.

Personally, I would have gotten in touch with the vendor who sold it to me and gotten his/her thoughts before I publicly posted about it, but that's just me.

Dont take me wrong, this was a sample and from the construction of the cigar it was perfect, like the rest of the products from CC, have never had a problem and I dont blame any of them that this cigar sucked.

As you see from the rest of the forum here, they have complete different experience from the Cohiba Robusto, and I have had no intension to blame CC for a "strange" constructed cigar, i blame Hanbanos. The lack of flavor and the nicotine flavor come probably from the tight draw (which could not be spotted before starting smoking)

My post where more of a question if anyone has seen something that resemble this hole before?

It was a pity i didnt take a picture but it was not a dent, it was really a hole.. which you could not spot before I cut the cigar.

Cut the foot, and there where a a hole... like 5 mm in diameter and just straight into the cigar, looks like someone had taken a rod and just plunged it straight in. Looking at the foot and no hole here.. (could this come from some kind of draw test equipment?)

Draw; tight, to tight, even with the hole, but when running my fingers over the cigar i could not feel any hard/soft spot.

I had a very similar experience with a PSD4 from 08. Cigar felt perfect to the touch and nothing unusual to the way the head looked when I clipped the cap. It was however, incredibly tight. I struggled with for a few minutes and decide to clip a bit more from the head, and that's when I found a couple of small holes in the cigar. I attributed this to the cigar having failed the draw machine and then possibly they punched the cigar to alleviate the draw problem. It really did not help since the cigar stayed tight for the first half when I finally gave up on it. I have to say though, that this was the first badly constructed cigar I've had in a very long time.

Sandholm, I've recently experienced problems of a similar nature with several boxes of ERdM Grandes de Espana. You can read up here:

http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/inde...showtopic=98200

These boxes did not come from CC. Recent trials have confirmed the bad construction. I'm just fed up having to deal with quality issues of this kind in fresh cigars. Still haven't returned them and not sure if I will, but if this ever happens again I'll go on a crusade! :rolleyes:

If there is a Gaussian curve for cigar performance, and I believe there is, there will be great cigars, average cigars and down right lousy cigars. You got one of the bad ones. Yeah... it is a downer, throw it in the trash and light another! This is world of cigars and it happens to us all now and again.

The occurrence does not condemn the Cuban cigar, the Cohiba line, the robusto vitola or even the Cohiba robusto. It is after all just an occurrence and should be viewed as such. It does make you wonder how some of these things, like the hole through the center, happen. We will likely never know. Perhaps the cutter caught on the ligero or an improperly stripped leaf and yanked it out of the center of the cigar. The thread makes for some interesting speculation; thanks for sharing. -Piggy

I had 2 over the weekend from a sampler pack, thought they were great. Good flavor developement, good construction. I agree with you on the fact that I like Siglos better, but I thought the Robustos were pretty damn good. Yeah, sounds like you had a dud , sorry man.

I shared some CoRo with friends over the weekend from an '08 box. No construction issues, but they tasted like they needed more rest.

I shared some CoRo with friends over the weekend from an '08 box. No construction issues, but they tasted like they needed more rest.

Fairly new to cuban cigars, only started smoking them 5-6mths now. Its a bit hard for me to gauge taste since, I haven't had any real aged cigars. I just compare these to the non-cubans Ive smoked. Like I said, I thought they were flavorful, and I can't imagine to think what they would taste like after some time. I think I'll pick some up and try them again in a yr or so. :rolleyes:

Fairly new to cuban cigars, only started smoking them 5-6mths now. Its a bit hard for me to gauge taste since, I haven't had any real aged cigars. I just compare these to the non-cubans Ive smoked. Like I said, I thought they were flavorful, and I can't imagine to think what they would taste like after some time. I think I'll pick some up and try them again in a yr or so. :rolleyes:

Ellery...I am also fairly new to Cubans, but I think taste is all up to the individual. If the cigar works for your it works, regardless of what I or anyone thinks. I enjoy Cohiba's and the CoRo is a fantastic cigar...it just the one I smoked this weekend didn't live up to it's peers. IMHO I thought 12 months would do these babies some good as well; however there have been many posts I've read where our fellow FOHers thought they were smoking well. To each his own, right...?

Piggy has pretty mush nailed it. Every cigar line is a bell curve of poor to great cigars. You try to eliminate the bad cigars from the curve by assessing construction and wrapper. Sometimes however there is an inherant construction flaw which is nigh impossible to assess (complete twisting of the bunch during a particular section being one).

I think if you have smoked Cubans for a long period of time you will all recall a particular cigar which looked spot on but no matter what you did would not draw or will draw slightly but not produce any smoke. I hate those cigars :P

Piggy has pretty mush nailed it. Every cigar line is a bell curve of poor to great cigars. You try to eliminate the bad cigars from the curve by assessing construction and wrapper. Sometimes however there is an inherant construction flaw which is nigh impossible to assess (complete twisting of the bunch during a particular section being one).

I think if you have smoked Cubans for a long period of time you will all recall a particular cigar which looked spot on but no matter what you did would not draw or will draw slightly but not produce any smoke. I hate those cigars :D

I wholeheartedly concur....

agree re the occasional dodgy smoke is an occupational hazard, so to speak. but i would that you should not give up on the coro, especially from 08. what i have seen has been close to spectacular.

KG...

Definitely not giving up on the CoRo...no worries about that. I'm not going to let a few ruin it for the marca or the vitola.

hey budy,

i had a very similar experience from from cohiba robusto from a Mar'08 box. although i did not notice a hole going thru the cigar. i had 2 robusto from the box that were both impossible to draw. needless to say i was very disappointed. but my cigar store was nice enuf to exchange it for another box from sept'08. no draw issues from my april'08 box but the smoke is not that great. i have definitely notice a drop in cohiba robusto quality from 2006 onwards.

others opinion welcome.

Ellery...I am also fairly new to Cubans, but I think taste is all up to the individual. If the cigar works for your it works, regardless of what I or anyone thinks. I enjoy Cohiba's and the CoRo is a fantastic cigar...it just the one I smoked this weekend didn't live up to it's peers. IMHO I thought 12 months would do these babies some good as well; however there have been many posts I've read where our fellow FOHers thought they were smoking well. To each his own, right...?

True