Singles suggestions...

Hey guys

I'm a total newcomer to cigars and have tried relatively few different marcas and vitolas.

I'm going to pick up 5 or 6 singles from the Czar and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I'm looking for variety and preferably ones that are ready to smoke now.

Cheers guys!

Wil

Difficult question to answer, without knowing your tastes. Do you prefer mild, medium or strong cigars, favorite format, flavor preferences, what time of day you smoke, how much time do you have, something to enjoy seated or on the go etc.

Not knowing the answers, the following are my current faves:

Por Larranaga PC

R Gonzalez Corona Extra

Vegas Robainas Famosos

Bolivar Corona Extra

Partagas SD4

Juan Lopez Seleccion 1

Vegas Robainas Alejandro

Hope that helps

Difficult question to answer, without knowing your tastes. Do you prefer mild, medium or strong cigars, favorite format, flavor preferences, what time of day you smoke, how much time do you have, something to enjoy seated or on the go etc.

Not knowing the answers, the following are my current faves:

Por Larranaga PC

R Gonzalez Corona Extra

Vegas Robainas Famosos

Bolivar Corona Extra

Partagas SD4

Juan Lopez Seleccion 1

Vegas Robainas Alejandro

Hope that helps

Cheers jquest63. I guess I prefer mild to stronger smokes. I've mostly smoked robustos, as I brought a box of PSD4s and a box of Cohiba robustos back from a holiday in Cuba. The PSD4s definitely need some time, as they are pretty harsh and tannic. The Cohibas probably need time too, but I've had one and it was sublime. Definitely my favourite cigar so far. So I'm keen to try some different shapes and sizes. I've got a BBF and a Bolivar Simones in the humi ready to go...

Welcome...

I would recommend trying to get two of each, so you can really get a better read on the smokes. By all means, ask el presidente b/c he has never steered me wrong, but here are my recos:

1. Partagas Serie D4

2. Cohiba Robusto

3. Upman Mag 46

4. Hoyo Epi #2

5. Monte #2

6. Diplo #4

7. Punch PC

8. Boli Belicoso Finos

Whatever you get, try to let them sit for a month in a 65% humi, then drybox for a day before smoking. Take notes if you can.

I'd recommend:

1: Juan Lopez Petit Corona

2: Diplomaticos No. 2

3: Partagas Serie Connoisseur No. 2

4: Cohiba Siglo VI

5: Trinidad Reyes

6: Ramon Allones Specially Selected

That was harder than I thought! Mix of sizes and light / full smokes there, but you could replace all of them with an equally good equivalent - Bolivar Royal Corona, Vegas Robaina Unicos, Cohiba Robusto etc etc. Much depends on your budget I guess. Enjoy!

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Will do some research and let you know what I select.

(and keep 'em coming! :) )

Cheers

Wil

Cohiba Siglo 6

Montecristo No. 2

Bolivar Royal Corona

Trinidad Reyes

Partagas P2

Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure No.2

Cohiba Siglo 2

Punch Punch

Partagas Serie Connessuer No. 3

Best bet though is to ask The Pres.

Pending the outcome of the wise suggestion of asking Rob and crew what they suggest of cigars other than the ones you've tried, I would suggest:

-Hoyo de Monterrey Double Coronas

-Romeo y Julieta Churchills

-Montecristo No. 2

-Montecristo No. 4

-El Rey del Mundo Choix Supreme

-Juan Lopez Seleccion No. 2

Out of those, I expect you'd find something you like. I further expect that if you begin to smoke with some frequency, that in a few years you won't smoke any of these often. Each, though, would be a good starting point in my opinion.

Well as you can see everyone here enjoys very different cigars, that's the beauty of habanos! So many brands, sizes, flavor profiles, etc... My suggestion would be to try cigars outside of the robusto format. The good news is that 08 stock is smoking amazingly well fresh, here are some standouts in my book,

1. JL #1, a lighter bodied corona gorda bursting with flavor.

2. Bolivar corona extra- a full bodied exemplary example of the bolivar marca. See if Rob can pull a few from a cab

3. Upmann connaisseur #1 or Mag 46. Both smoking brilliantly from 08

To tell you the truth, this is a very hard question to answer. I am fairly new to cuban cigars, and what I tried first was the robusto sampler...it was a good variety and a great way to try different flavor profiles. Everyone on this site has their favorites, and what they suggest, may not be for you. So I say grab on of the samplers, and try them all out. My favs are

H Upmann 46

H Upmann 50

Cohiba Siglo VI

Cohiba Robusto

Vegas Famsos

H Upmann Sir winstons

Ramon Allones Special Select

Hope this helps, good luck, and enjoy.

Like Ellery...I have far less experience with Cuban Cigars than our brethern here at FOH, but my suggestion would be is not particular order of preference:

Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona

Por Larranaga Petit Corona

H. Upmann Mag 46

Montecristo No. 2

Partagas Shorts

These would be the cigars I would recommend. A variety of brands and sizes. It's just a start, but as mentioned before your best resources would be the crew at Czar's who can point you in the right direction in terms of what is smoking well right now.