Advice for Coolidors

Kangaroo495

Dear FOHers,

I've reached the time in my life when the desktop, 30-cigar humi is no longer enough. I'm more or less in a financial position to expand my cigar collection, and have anough experience to start buying WHOLE boxes rather than singles all the time. I know that if I get a bigger desktop, then in 3 months, I'm gonna want something bigger again, so I've decided to GO BIG IMMEDIATELY!

I'm interested in Coolidors as they seem cheaper than buying an ouright humidor (I would use the beads). Therefore I need the following advice:

1. What kind of wine cooler to buy. Living in Russia, my choice is heavily limited. Here are a few which are available here: Climadiff (France), Vinosafe (France), Oak (Spain), Elleme (Italy), Liebherr, Vertafrost, Eurocave (France - also do humidors). Never heard any of them mentioned on the forum.

2. Do I need to make any modifications to it? (Undesirable)

3. Would it be easier to just buy a large humidor cabinet?

I would probably go for something which holds around 400 cigars.

Please help me to sort this out!

Cheers!

I actually just started my coolerdor. I did a lot of research on this site, as well as other cigar/humidor sites. Not sure about the coolers you had mentioned, but everywhere/everyone recommended an Igloo cooler. Supposedly their lids provide the best seal. I picked up a 100+ qt cooler, put the 65% beads and have about 6 boxes in it (still have 90% left to fill) No modifications were made, and cigars are doing great. Hope this helps

Kanga, I'm not exactly sure what you have in mind, but it sounds like you are talking about an electric wine fridge or similar, versus an

insulated beverage cooler.

If that is the case, using the search function, type in the word fridge, and you will come up with a number of helpful threads on the topic.

If you mean an insulated beverage cooler (igloo, coleman, etc), get the biggest one you can and as Ellery has mentioned, a good supply of

rh beads, and fill 'er up!

It completely depends on the temperature in which you will be storing the cooler. If you have a basement which stays a preety constant 68-70 degrees than I dont think you need to spend the money on a refrigerated unit, IMO. If your unit will be subjected to large temperature fluctuations and/or consistently higher temps than you will need a cooled unit. Currently I have 2 165 qt Igloo coolers with 3 pounds of beads in each one. I have split the beads into 6 1/2 pound mesh bags spread out around the cooler and have 2 oust fans in each one to circulate the air. This has worked marvelously and each and every time I open the lid to grab a smoke its 65% on the nose.

Gentlemen, thanks very much for your replies. The igloo is a great idea, but I would like to acquire a new piece of furniture i.e. the fridge (sorry for not making that clear).

I've read all the archived threads and can not fully understand the following:

1. The climate I live in is cold - 9 months of the year it is BELOW 17 degrees (and below 0 during winter), however, apartments are very well heated and even tend to be hot - probably maintaining around 19-21 degrees. For three months in summer, the weather fluctuates wildly between 15 and 35 degrees. Do I really need a fridge? I'm worried about the potentially hot summers, and the zealous heating system.

2. "The beads should be placed on the bottom of the fridge in a stocking". However, it seems that humidity at the top of the humidor can be too low. How about putting beads on the bottom, middle and top shelves. Would this solve the problem?

3. When the cooling system is activated the fridge looses humidity despite the presence of beads. Has this been solved yet?

4. Condensation periodically forms on the back wall of the fridge. This is terribly scary!! How can it be stopped?

5. The shelves in a wine cooler are metal. Is it wise to buy some cedar boxes?

6. It has been shown that the RH in the fridge can fluctuate heavily at times, whereas the RH INSIDE a cigar box will not be greatly affected. Does this mean I should not use the fridge for storing singles?

7. Please confirm that I need a thermo fridge - not a compressor.

8. Final question. What are these fans that you are using? "Oust"? Do they run on batteries? Are they left on at all times? Where should they be placed?

Sorry for the barrage. Really couldn't find definitive answers in the other threads!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

I know you dont want to use an igloo (which is what I use). But simply to add information I must say that my cooler holds the humidity so much better than my 300 cigar humidor. I do from time to time open the coolidoor just to circualte some fresh air.

To circulate air in my coolidoor, I use an oust fan that uses a single D cell battery. It works fantastic.

All my best on your journey to your next humidor.

Ether..

Do I really need a fridge? I'm worried about the potentially hot summers, and the zealous heating system.

Based on the info you provided on your climate than yes, you do need a cooled unit. You did ask a lot of great questions pertaining to the use of coolerdors so I'll chime in where I can based on my experience with mine.

2. "The beads should be placed on the bottom of the fridge in a stocking". However, it seems that humidity at the top of the humidor can be too low. How about putting beads on the bottom, middle and top shelves. Would this solve the problem?

In each of my 165 qt coolers I spread out 3 pounds of beads into 6 mesh bags all throughout the cooler whereever they fit.

3. When the cooling system is activated the fridge looses humidity despite the presence of beads. Has this been solved yet?

The more beads the merrier, you cant go overboard. Technically I have enough beads to keep 3 large commercial refrigerators at a rock solid 65%. The more you have the more it will stabilize any fluctuations ie opening of the lid, compressor turning on, etc... Also, the humidity inside a cab or box doesnt seem to be effected by these mostly external small humidity fluctuations

4. Condensation periodically forms on the back wall of the fridge. This is terribly scary!! How can it be stopped?

Not Sure

5. The shelves in a wine cooler are metal. Is it wise to buy some cedar boxes?

The more cedar the better, whether it be lining of the humidor or cabs. I have enough cabs that I dont worry about having enough cedar in my coolers.

6. It has been shown that the RH in the fridge can fluctuate heavily at times, whereas the RH INSIDE a cigar box will not be greatly affected. Does this mean I should not use the fridge for storing singles?

The larger the barrier you can provide from temp and humidity fluctuations the better. For my singles I have most in 5 finger baggies and keep those inside empty cabs or boxes. Sure its a little hectic inside my coolers but at least my cigars are happily relaxed.

7. Please confirm that I need a thermo fridge - not a compressor.

not sure

8. Final question. What are these fans that you are using? "Oust"? Do they run on batteries? Are they left on at all times? Where should they be placed?

the oust fans mentioned are now becoming hard to find but they are worth the search. They circulate the air extremely well ( I use 2 in each cooler). They are D battery operated and were designed to input a fragrance in to freshen a room. Just leave out the fragrance before placing it in the cooler. It is automatically programmed to operate on 5 minutes on 15 mintues off. The battery needs to be changed no more than 3x a year. Its a great little accessory that is inexpensive and helps me sleep better at night.

Sorry for the barrage. Really couldn't find definitive answers in the other threads!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I hope I have shed some light on a few of your questions, best of luck!

Cheers.