Cohiba Band Inspection

Digi

Pulled these off a Cohiba Lancero I smoked this afternoon (should be very recent production though I do not know the box codes). I'll save my thoughts on the band and the cigar's characteristics for later rather than dilute the discussion. Just based on the superficial observation, what do yous guys think? Here are the down sized images, click on anyone one for ABSOLUTELY HUGE versions to get up close and personal with the band.

CohLan01S.jpg

CohLan02S.jpg

CohLan03S.jpg

So how bout it? I certainly have my observations and thoughts and I'm extremely curious what you guys think.

I compared your images to the Siglo VI's I got from Rob. They are identical. The H and the C in Habana, Cuba look like mine and the U in Cuba is fat like it should be. That's what I always look at. The blemish on the right side of the band (gold strip) I have had in this box also. The white squares look like the proper size. My guess is the band is real. As for the cigar...I am a noob in Cohibas so don't take my word for it.

The only thing I can see is, and it is not necessarily an issue -

In the first photo, the glue residue nearly meets with the rectangular gold box (near the letter "C").

This would indicate that the overlap was this far around.... and I have never seen that before. Every single example I have seen has the overlap meet about 7 white dots away from the rectangular gold box.

This indicates to me that the band applied was intended for a larger vitola.

Ah, you guys are no fun - too much knowledge around here to fool anyone :lookaround: I enjoyed this cigar with some company and, while I know this cigar's legitimacy was not in question, they took it up themselves to inspect the band and make some commentary. They believed there to be a problem with the cut on the right side, the fact that the boxes dip below the gold band that the uneven cut on the top. Around here we've seen stranger variations in boxes and bands but to those who have not witnessed such inconsistencies will often use the band as an oracle.

I don't know... that dimple in the gold on the left lower leg of the H is pretty suspect... :lmao:

The only thing I noticed was already mentioned - it looks like the band was supposed to go on a larger ring stick... my guess is someone grabbed the wrong stack of bands when they did this run. Not a biggie - I've also seen this in other cigars as well that were known genuines.

The ones that make me laugh are the gold ink (NOT foil) specials with the round dots... someone gave me one of those, I was trying to figure out how to break the bad news, but realized discretion was the better part of valor or whatnot... Nothing like ruining a first date by telling a guy his cigar is funny... :clown2:

(Looking back - I should have taken it as a warning. :jester: )

So pray tell... how DID it smoke?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Ha, funny story that relates to this topic:

During the summer, I was down in St. Petersburg Beach, FL and across from my hotel was this liquor/cigar store. I go inside of the "Humidor" (It was freezing inside, and all of the cigars looked dry as hell!) and I see bundles of "Cohibas", for $45. These bundles were "hybrid" fakes, as in, they had the bands, but they said "La Republica Dominicana", in the cursive font. I picked up one of those babies for $3. When I took it to my cutter, it was like cutting through paper mache! Disgusting!