True or False

From the Bristol Evening Post:

Outside Bristol Zoo is the car park, with spaces for 150 cars and 8 coaches.

It has been manned 6 days a week for 23 years by the same car park attendant with a ticketing machine. The charges are £1. per car and £5. per coach.

On Monday 1 June, he did not turn up for work.

Bristol Zoo management phoned Bristol City Council to advise them and asked them to send a replacement parking attendant.

The Council said "What attendant? That car park is your responsibility."

The Zoo said "We thought the attendant was employed by the City Council... wasn't he?"

Gone missing is the man who has been taking daily the car park fees, amounting to about £400 per day for the last 23 years...!

Total sum just shy of £2.9 million. ;)

Actual True Storey

Many many years ago as part of my misspent youth, I used to go to the dog racing at an inner city dog-park.

There was no onsite parking, so everyone parked on the street (kerb parking).

As soon as you parked, a rather tough looking guy in a white dust coat, would roll up and ask for a parking fee, to look after your vehicle. There were at least half a dozen of these guys hanging around.

I always thought it was prudent to pay the fee / tribute / extortion. :unknown:

No wonder the guy didnt show up. Probably in Thailand with some short-fat-thai-hooker living la vida loca... :unknown:

i think we can assume that he has not been paying tax and with any modicum of intelligent investing (if there is a god, he used madoff), he has way more than 3 mill quid by now, hence, one suspects she'd be neither short nor fat.

priceless.

The same thing happens all the time in Italy.

For example, When I was in Pisa last year, my cousin drove us to a local train station car park.

Someone come up to him and put a hand out. My cousin then handed him about 3 or 4 Euros. No words were exchanged... and the fella walked away.

I asked my cousin what just happened.

He said, "if we want the car to be here when we get back... it's best to just shut up and pay".

The same thing happens all the time in Italy.

For example, When I was in Pisa last year, my cousin drove us to a local train station car park.

Someone come up to him and put a hand out. My cousin then handed him about 3 or 4 Euros. No words were exchanged... and the fella walked away.

I asked my cousin what just happened.

He said, "if we want the car to be here when we get back... it's best to just shut up and pay".

the block of units i used to live in on the coast had 8 units and 7 garages.

the bloke who missed out tried claiming a chunk of common property till the forces of goodness put the kybosh on that. then i discovered that my next door neighbour, who had a garage but wanted a second space, had rented the common property from the bloke without a garage. and then seemed to think that gave him rights to it. must say i did take great pleasure in occasionally parking there.

It's gotta be false. It's hard to believe someone could get away with that for so long...