Question: Place in order this list of Brand sales

man.... that really bothers me that HUP is so low.

How can it be that so many people don't realise how good they are?

What really bothers me is that Bolivar isn't there. As I understood, the combined total unit sales of all "other" cigars which are not listed does not even outsell Quintero (though I guess Quintero may be popular in Cuba and other Latin countries...) - that includes Bolivar. Really odd.

Makes sense...

Monte and RYJ are big duty free sellers (probably 90% of cubans you see duty free) and are the most available.

JLP and quintero are cheap cubans and people in latin america/similar economies don't have much money = buy these low price brands at volume.

Cohiba has the **** factor, so sells well. The brands from 5,6 and 8 would be very close in terms of sales, sort of the rung below the top four.

Bolivar, RA, SLR Robaina etc are a niche cigar and only really on any sort of scale appeal people like ourselves and thus a further rung (combined sales) down from tier two. These are third tier.

Taking these figures into account and also the current (short shortsightedly) financial climate. It would not surprise me in the least if we see some of those tier three brands be scrapped as they must be only be making up somewhere in the region of 3-10% of all sales combined from 10+ Brands.

Very interesting.

I based my guesses on the figures reported in the MRN Encyclopedia of each brand's export market share for 2001. Here are the numbers:

20.4% -- Montecristo

16.2% -- Romeo y Julieta

10.4% -- Partagas

9.3% -- Jose L Piedra

8.1% -- Cohiba

7.6% -- Quintero

4.6% -- Hoyo de Monterrey

3.3% -- H. Upmann

2.9% -- Saint Luis Rey

2.6% -- Punch

2.0% -- Bolivar

1.9% -- Rafael Gonzalez

1.8% -- Fonseca

1.2% -- La Flor de Cano

1.1% -- Vegas Robaina

0.8% -- Sancho Panza

0.7% -- El Rey del Mundo

0.7% -- Ramon Allones

0.5% -- Juan Lopez

0.4% -- Cuaba

0.3% -- Diplomaticos

0.3% -- Los Statos de Luxe

0.3% -- Por Larranaga

0.3% -- Vegueros

0.2% -- Trinidad

0.2% -- La Gloria Cubana

0.1% -- Quai D'Orsay

Obviously these figures have changed since 2001, but probably not all that much. Release of the new Trinidad vitolas surely increased that marca's share.