an island of einsteins.

news report in today. so presumably $500 is not too much to pay for a peice of fruit??????

A NEW Zealander has paid $NZ1000 ($A784) for a piece of fruit shaped like the country's national bird.

New Zealanders scrambled to bid on the piece of fruit, called a feijoa, because of its striking resemblance to their shy kiwi bird.

The usually oval-shaped fruit is in abundance in New Zealand at present, fetching just $NZ5 ($4) a kilogram in supermarkets and dropping freely in people's gardens.

An Auckland woman spotted one under her tree on Anzac Day that looked very much like the long-beaked bird.

She listed it on New Zealand's online selling website Trade Me, only to see bids climb from $NZ12.50 ($9.80) to $NZ1000 ($784) in a few days.

Her listing describes the fruit as "the ultimate in traditional, natural and non-manufactured Kiwiana''.

"This exceptional and unusual wee feijoa is perfection personified shaped as our own dear little kiwi icon,'' she wrote.

The fruit, which is now turning brown on its underside, was bought by well-known Christchurch mortgage broker Mike Pero, who used it to garner some quick publicity.

"We took it a step further when we realised that $1000 was too much to pay one person for a piece of fruit,'' Mr Pero said.

"We thought we'd aim to get a second bite out of the feijoa by making our purchase price conditional on a $NZ500 ($392) donation to The Child Cancer Foundation.''

The auction closed last night with 5000 hits, 362 watchers and 12 bids.

Mr Pero plans to preserve the feijoa.

Well, there are people paying twice that amount for a Gurkha, so...

Seeing how one gets nutrition, regional publicity and does something for children, I think it's a relative bargain! ;)

the way i read it was that the mortgage broker - not the first demographic one usually associates with charity - realised he'd paid a grand for a bit of leathery old weirdly shaped fruit (and how much had he drunk), so rather than look like the complete pillock one suspects he might be, he has come up with a way to make himself look not so silly (i'd give any money you like that he is the one collecting the tax deduction).

and preserved? i can't help thinking of homer simpson eating something off, if memory serves, the bill of rights.

You've got a point, but at least the broker's straight on how "they're" the ones getting a second bit of the fruit. And after following Man vs Wild, I truly believe that man can and will eat anything. ;)

You've got a point, but at least the broker's straight on how "they're" the ones getting a second bit of the fruit. And after following Man vs Wild, I truly believe that man can and will eat anything. ;)

man v wild?

Specials include: Heart of camel and sheep, live praying mantis and spiders, fresh catfish and turtle, blood of snake and of course, the legendary "sheeping bag", where Bear Grylls turns a dead sheep inside out.

Specials include: Heart of camel and sheep, live praying mantis and spiders, fresh catfish and turtle, blood of snake and of course, the legendary "sheeping bag", where Bear Grylls turns a dead sheep inside out.

There was quite an uproar over this series. Many outdoors enthusiasts claimed that the show was, shock horror, staged. They claimed he had help from the crew, never was alone in the wild, and was never in any real danger. A disclaimer had to be added to the beginning of the series.

There was quite an uproar over this series. Many outdoors enthusiasts claimed that the show was, shock horror, staged. They claimed he had help from the crew, never was alone in the wild, and was never in any real danger. A disclaimer had to be added to the beginning of the series.

Yup, I've heard, and the producers of the show admitted to it. But then again, how can anyone expect to have a series of "actual" survival situation when you have an entire professional production team literally behind you and more importantly, giant TV networks to satisfy ;)

I watch it for entertainment, and of course, the sashimi(I didn't know catfish could put up such a fight!)