ammonia

I have been reading threads around other forums for the last month and some mention that they tasting ammonia in there cigars 08 to boot LOL ?

Since Cuba has changed their method since late 05 with using aged tobacco in there cigars i have never tasted ammonia or smelt it since 05.

I am really starting to think some people in our hobby dont know what they are talking about and maybe are tasting something else and getting it mixed up with ammonia.

Maybe its the soap flavor we taste from time to time ?

I think most will agree here ammonia flavor or scent has not be noted in a long time and mainly because of the aged tobacco being used since late 05....

I am sure others will chime in but its was frequent before late 05 because the tobacco was not aged properly ( or not at all) and the tobacco was used to roll the cigars and than put on the market to be sold.

The latest tasting of ammonia I had was in '07 boxes of Siglo IIs and Partaga Connie 1s. I tasted them in '08. However, I concur that it's remarkable how much improvement can be made in a year as I have not tasted any ammonia in the over 40 sticks from about 20 vitolas so far from '08.

Also, the ammonia I tasted tend to be most apparent in the last 3rd of the cigar, and it was usually unexpected, as the cigar would smoke brilliantly for the first 2 3rds and just WHAM, the taste of piss would envelope your senses. :clap:

I have been reading threads around other forums for the last month and some mention that they tasting ammonia in there cigars 08 to boot LOL ?

I am really starting to think some people in our hobby dont know what they are talking about and maybe are tasting something else and getting it mixed up with ammonia.

I believe you are correct and that perhaps some people do not know what they are talking about. :clap:

Interesting that you bring this up Jimmy. In the latest CA issue a letter writer mentions how poor Cubans are lately. I don't know what he's been smoking, but I think the recent releases have been stellar! Which I'm glad to see as I'm not interested in aging boxes for years just so they're enjoyable.

What are they retards someone stating that !!!!! Cubans have been overall the best from 06 to present in many years !!! LOL

It makes you think how many fakes they are buying .... LOL

What are they retards someone stating that !!!!! Cubans have been overall the best from 06 to present in many years !!! LOL

It makes you think how many fakes they are buying .... LOL

I remember watching a video where Mr. Suckling was buying his D-4's in Hollywood!

All is not bliss, however. I have tasted some doggy '07 and '08's. Not all Cuban cigars are perfect; it is the nature of the beast.

I've tasted ammonia several times from 08 cigars.

Quite honestly tasting ammonia has absolutely nothing to do with your experience as a smoker.

Take a swig of ammonia from a bottle and then a bite of godiva and see if you can tell me the difference!

When you taste ammonia, you know it. There's no question about it.

I do find that I only taste ammonia when cigars have not had enough rest after traveling. After 30 days the ammonia disappears.

Once you open a box it will dissapear in a week or so most of the time once the air hits it they dry out.Traveling has nothing to do with it as it starts from the factory and the smell is so strong some of these guys don't even wear masks when handling the leaf!!! LOL

But have to agree with others its very rare today and most mistaken it for something else.I think many don't relize the changes made in Cuba since late 05 and think the way of years ago.

I think you would get a better chance of running into it in pre mid 2005 SLB or Varnished boxes.

Listen...

When you run into ammonia in a cigar it equates to the same experience as the following:

1) Chewing on tin foil

2) Being punched in the face by Mike Tyson

3) Digging in the ground and hitting a rock

4) 60-0 MPH in 1 second

There is no second guessing ammonia... Experience or not. Your body naturally reacts as if you are drinking gasoline.

Your senses say "NO!" this is not right, not good.

I have found ammonia in 2008 cigars, and it was because I smoked them too soon OTT.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :2thumbs:

Too soon or aged or to young has nothing to do with it !! It VERY rarely happens today !!

Cuba changed the tobacco they use in cigars back in late 2005 since using aged tobacco's it has made a big difference and is hard to find in today's cigars.

Now I have smelt ammonia in DB and SLB from pre 2005 CC all the time and even opening those boxes today that have been aged.

I must have smoked 40 boxes since 2006 and have never smelled ammonia, years before all the time before Cuba CHANGED its methods with using tobacco in their cigars.

You smelling ammonia is not normal for a young cigar because 95% of the people smoke cigars young !! And that's the way a blender blends them to smoke for today so if you smell ammonia in your cigars its a **** up from the factory or to much moisture were they are stored.

Age has nothing to do with it. :2thumbs:

I remember a post back in '07 that El Presedente mentioned getting ammonia on a CC, I've experienced it as well more than once and some of the sticks had been resting a long while..