President Obama lauds offer by Cuba to discuss thorny issues

By FRANCES ROBLES AND NANCY SAN MARTIN

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad -- Cuban leader Raúl Castro's recent offer to discuss all issues -- including the fate of political prisoners -- is ''a sign of progress'' that could lead to more deliberate strides toward normalization, President Barack Obama said Sunday.

''We are going to explore and see and if we can make some further steps,'' Obama told reporters shortly before his departure from the Fifth Summit of the Americas.

Among the things Obama said would be viewed by his administration as good faith acts by Havana: freeing political prisoners, reducing fees on Cuba-bound remittances from the United States, freedom of the press and freedom of religion.

While Obama said Washington's long-standing policy of isolation has failed, he said Cuba must do more before his administration could consider taking further actions beyond the recent lifting of Cuban American travel and remittances to the island.

Obama's message was clear: Castro's first step should be to reduce the fees the government charges on the money Cuban-Americans send back home.

''It turns out the Cuban government charges a lot off the top,'' he said. ``That would be an example of cooperation.''

He defended his support of the U.S. embargo, despite having opposed it five years ago while a state senator.

''The Cuban people are not free,'' he said. ```The steps that we took were constructive in sending a signal; we would like to see a transformation. But I am persuaded that it is important to send a signal that issues of political prisoners, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, democracy that those continue to be important. That they are not something simply to be brushed aside.''

Obama said that ''completely ignoring Cuba is not going to change policy'' and that engagement might help propel democratic changes in the regions only communist-ruled nation.

``I am hopeful that, over time, the overwhelming trend in the hemisphere will occur in Cuba, as well.''

Obama is facing criticism for his friendly photo taken with Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez. He stood behind his decision to be courteous.

The U.S. used to turn its back on hostile countries -- and ''Americans didn't buy it,'' Obama said.

``As a consequence of me shaking hands or having polite conversation ... are we endangering the strategic interests of the United States?''

The moment I saw the pix of Obama shaking hands with Chavez, I knew that he would come under fire from the right wing. The fact is that Obama is outgoing and friendly by nature; I can't see any harm in being courteous. One of the things I admire about Obama is his ability to distinguish between important political and policy differences, without projecting personal hostility.

The moment I saw the pix of Obama shaking hands with Chavez, I knew that he would come under fire from the right wing. The fact is that Obama is outgoing and friendly by nature; I can't see any harm in being courteous. One of the things I admire about Obama is his ability to distinguish between important political and policy differences, without projecting personal hostility.

Interesting - not too long ago you mentioned that nothing would delight you more than to see obama taunt chavez in public <_<

I for one hope obama does not get into bed with chavez and his ilk.........

I am not the right wing, but I think that Obama is hopelessly neive.

Summit of the Americas was a total embarassment. being courteous is one thing, being passive about anti-american rhetoric is another. Someone needs to remind O-Barry that he's the leader of the free world not a community activst. :cowpoop:

For me I think he did nothing wrong as he is showing good will it now puts Castro/Chavez in a position to show how serious they really are at making things better.

50 years and nothing has changed you think they would realize it already the embargo is a failer !!!!! That tells you something and I am happy Obama is taking a different approach its about time someone did !! Embargo is a cold War policy not a Cuban American one and I for one am getting sick of there crying .I feel for them but lets face it Castro's are still in power and will not be going no where so lets move on.Cuba is not America and the USA should not dictate what type of Government should be in charge there !!! Human Rights yes push for something to happen and I think something will in that area very soon.But Come on look at China and there human rights ? But we still deal with them so it really makes the USA look really bad in someway's around the world.

As far as Obama/Chavez BIG deal so they shook hands and what has the last 10 years of dealing with him gotten us ? No where !! Only more problems between our countries so maybe Obama knows what he is doing and it will make some progress in the right direction with all of our countries.

I do not like Chavez but the last 10 years the way our last president handled him (I was a Bush backer and i am a Rep) just made it worse lets face it Chavez is going now where.

Also if the Cuban embargo ends Chavez will lose a lot of firepower to run his Government as he uses Cuba /USA relations a lot in his fiery speeches .

I find the criticism of Obama around this issue interesting. He is being called naive because he wants to sit down with enemies of the US, or because he shakes someone's hand and smiles.

As if ignoring these people and talking tough has worked to secure US security and foreign interest.

When 2 business leaders meet, they may smile and shake hands, even though they detest each other. Five minutes later, they are engaged and trying to rip each others throats out. I have been in meetings with people that I dislike and have had a rocky relationship with. We may shake hands and smile. I'm under no illusion that this person is then going to roll over to satisfy my interests. Something tells me Obama knows this too.

Any reason to criticize someone.

Let's see how this turns out before we assume he's giving away the farm.

Disclosure: I'm not an American, I just want to see the US succeed, lead again, and be respected around the world.

SMK,

What makes Obama Naive? Your political affiliations aside.

He shook the hand of Chavez. And guess what, now the U.S. is exchanging ambassadors with Venezuela again.

I've got plenty of aquantances in my business where I may not agree with how they operate, but when it comes

to the end of the day, it's WAY better to have friends than enemies. Now, I doubt that Obama and Chavez will be

having sleep overs any time soon, but it's a beginning. Chavez didn't like Bush, that's what I'm reading from this.

If that's the reason why you don't like what Obama did, then you're biased, and you're entitled to that, but it's not

helping the discussion. I just don't see the argument of what makes Obama Naive in this situation.

On the topic of Raul Castro... Do you really think that Obama is expecting Cuba to become a democracy over night? No, but they're talking, and that is a huge, huge start.

I don't see the Cuba embargo ending any time soon. But when it does, you better be ready to get on a plane and go buy some land!!!!

Obama is only naive to having a one track mind. Something we've suffered from immensely in the last four years specifically. He's been in office for less than 4 months and everyone's got a death wish for this guy. Give it a break, really. He's got more pressure on him than any other president has since 1865. I think a lot more. There's way too many touchy issues in America right now. The majority of are all serious. This isn't one of them.

I just don't see the argument of what makes Obama Naive in this situation.

As an obvious non-American I also fail to see how this could be construed as being naive. After the shambles of the last few years one assumes Obama is attempting to put a much needed humane face to US foreign relations. I doubt a mere photo is a sign of impending apocalypse or the corruption of a leader and his country. Contrary to popular belief the world does not revolve around a single country or it's leader.

As an American I would have been proud and had more respect for obama if, when chavez had extended his hand, obama had told him

to f@#k off.

I surely don't think the sun revolves around the U.S, and really don't care too much about how the rest of the world perceives us.

We've got business to take care of here at home.

As an American I would have been proud and had more respect for obama if, when chavez had extended his hand, obama had told him

to f@#k off.

I surely don't think the sun revolves around the U.S, and really don't care too much about how the rest of the world perceives us.

We've got business to take care of here at home.

You're absolutely right. The point is though that the US is dependent on other countries for their domestic well being and security. We live in a global economy, and the fight against terrorism is a global fight. If you don't have friends, you wind up having to burn all of your own resources, which aren't limitless. Bad actors around the world know this, and they challenge the States, and embarass them. You go after these dicks alone, and you're playing Whack A Mole. I think you finally have an administration that understands the game is Chess, not Checkers.

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

Deriding and refusing to meet with our "enemies" has only caused them to foment with others in the region, in Latin America and elsewhere. It is a failed and dangerous policy to isolate those we have issues with. Other countries end up swayed by them, and supporting each other as the unite in loathing towards us.

Latin America was, in all respects, ignored by Bush and that is the reason that Chavez has the political power he does now, IMO.