New to Fly-fishing couple of?

Bolismoker

Long time fisherman here wanting to make the transition to fly-casting. However I'm lost as to the equipment etc. I'm leaning towards a 2 piece 9 foot 5wt rod and reel combo to start. As most of my fishing is in streams for trout. Does this seem right? Any of you experienced fly fisherman that can help a newbie out and point him in the right direction would be great. Thanks

I'd suggest talking to a local tackle shop of good reputaion and get advise on what they have to offer that would be suitable for the waters and conditions you'll be fishing in. A 5 wt, 9 ft rod would probably be a great place to start for fishing some nice trout steams. Many of the local tackle shops here offer casting clinics, see if there are any upcoming in your area nice way to get started and pickup suggestions as well.

Tight Lines

A 9' 5 wt will be a good start. If you're going with the rod / reel combo like Scientific Anglers, Reddington, or others, look for a 4 piece rod. The 2 piece 9 footer can be cumbersome at times and the 4 piece makes for better travelling manageability, aircraft, car, etc. Like mentioned above get in clinic or if you can afford it take a couple hours lessons. Since you're in Tucson part time, head over to Sportsmans Warehouse, they have some practice rods and will let you take them outside and give 'em a dance. so you can get a feel for the different rods.

gallery_5139_11_5273.gif

Mike

I would suggest a clinic as well. Some fly-shops do a combo guide/clinic session where you can talk about the mechanics of casting, then get out on a lake, pond, stream to put it into action. They'll usually have gear included in the package.

A 9' 5 wt will be a good start. If you're going with the rod / reel combo like Scientific Anglers, Reddington, or others, look for a 4 piece rod. The 2 piece 9 footer can be cumbersome at times and the 4 piece makes for better travelling manageability, aircraft, car, etc. Like mentioned above get in clinic or if you can afford it take a couple hours lessons. Since you're in Tucson part time, head over to Sportsmans Warehouse, they have some practice rods and will let you take them outside and give 'em a dance. so you can get a feel for the different rods.

gallery_5139_11_5273.gif

Mike

I was going to head up to Sportsman's today as a matter of fact. I've been leaning towards an Orvis rod/reel, but am going to check out sportsman's and Bass pro shop first to try and get a feel for the different rods available. Also I'm looking for a clinic to jump into. Thanks for the replies fellas!

Long time fisherman here wanting to make the transition to fly-casting. However I'm lost as to the equipment etc. I'm leaning towards a 2 piece 9 foot 5wt rod and reel combo to start. As most of my fishing is in streams for trout. Does this seem right? Any of you experienced fly fisherman that can help a newbie out and point him in the right direction would be great. Thanks

definitely find a store that will point you in the right direction. there are also a heap of fly fishing mags in the states, that will aid.

although it all depends on the budget (and if you are taking up fly fishing, there it goes...), i strongly concur with the four piece. makes a huge diff travelling.

i don't think anyone mentioned sage. i splashed out, far more than i should have, recently and got the new TCX 5-weight and it has so far, performed magnificently. it is a purchase that i hope will fill a role for the rest of my life (hence, the weak justification).

i'm also a fan of abel reels.

thanks for the help fellas. I'm totally excited to get started. Got my first fishing trip planned for the weekend of May 8th, we're heading up to upper Oak Creek, for some rainbows and browns. I can't wait!

Good Luck!

Don't buy before you try. Take an hour with an experienced Fly shop caster and fick a variety of rod combo's. Everyone has a different casting action and within half an hour you will feel more comfortable with one rod or another. Purchase a 4 piece if you can. So handy when travelling.

thanks for the help fellas. I'm totally excited to get started. Got my first fishing trip planned for the weekend of May 8th, we're heading up to upper Oak Creek, for some rainbows and browns. I can't wait!

Bolismoker,

Did you happen to get a package deal? Why wait until May, I heard Rose Canyon lake is open, road an all.

Mike

Package deal? I was advised against a combo, and have been going to Sportsman's and checking out their selection (though its fairly limited). Next week I'm headed up to Bass Pro Shop to see what they have. As far as the trip I'm waiting two weeks due to that being the first time I'll have a day off in the last month. So gotta make do with what I can. Rose Canyon is nice but always so crowded. Are you local to Az?

Package deal? I was advised against a combo, and have been going to Sportsman's and checking out their selection (though its fairly limited). Next week I'm headed up to Bass Pro Shop to see what they have. As far as the trip I'm waiting two weeks due to that being the first time I'll have a day off in the last month. So gotta make do with what I can. Rose Canyon is nice but always so crowded. Are you local to Az?

Well then, that might be good or bad advice, you decide. You may or may not like Fly Fishing so with the Orvis combo you're only out around 250.00 or so. With separate components you will be out several hundred dollars. So lets look; with the combo, you get a rod, reel, fly line, backing and what not, mind you, not the best equipment but pretty well balanced for a novice. Now lets go with components, you buy a rod; 150 - 200 dollar range, reel; 100 dollar range, fly line; 40 - 60 dollar range.

So you decide, buy a combo to learn on which you'll probably outgrow if you stick with it OR buy a decent setup for a few hundred which you will outgrow also if you stick with it... :cigar:

Besides with the combo, you'll have left over change for a box of smokes while learning.... :covereyes:

While you're at bass pro, you might as well stop in at Arizona Fly Fishing in Tempe, 31 W Baseline Rd Tempe AZ 85283 Phone: 480.730.6808 and at Cabelas in Glendale.

I live in Mesa but travel back and forth between there and Sierra Vista.

Mike

I have a couple of questions - purely out of curiosity, I'm not looking to buy a rod.

Does a rod being in sections have much impact on it's action or strength? If packing / traveling was not an issue, would you go one piece

or sectional? Also, money no object, what material or combination of materials would be your choice for a rod?

Thanks.

Mike, thanks for the alternative viewpoint. Your thoughts reflect my original thinking. Especially about using the saved $$$ for cigars from Czar. Great to hear about the Cabellas in Glendale, I wasn't aware that there was one. I'll definitely be stopping by there and the fly-shop you mentioned in the very near future.

I have a couple of questions - purely out of curiosity, I'm not looking to buy a rod.

Does a rod being in sections have much impact on it's action or strength? If packing / traveling was not an issue, would you go one piece

or sectional? Also, money no object, what material or combination of materials would be your choice for a rod?

Thanks.

Personally, for salt water big game fish I'd use a one piece and also for monster lake trout or muskie. For every day fooling around, a sectional rod is fine and I haven't had a failure or hinderance using one yet. Sectional rod pieces are sometimes easier to replace should you break a section by shutting the car door on it.....(Don't Ask.. :covereyes:)

For the "money no object" point, the holy grail is Bamboo rod, we're talking thousands.

Mike

Personally, for salt water big game fish I'd use a one piece and also for monster lake trout or muskie. For every day fooling around, a sectional rod is fine and I haven't had a failure or hinderance using one yet. Sectional rod pieces are sometimes easier to replace should you break a section by shutting the car door on it.....(Don't Ask.. :lol: )

For the "money no object" point, the holy grail is Bamboo rod, we're talking thousands.

Mike

pretty much agree. ideally probably a one piece and certainly for surf rods etc, i would want that but i have had no problems with split piece rods.