Brushing of Cigars?

In renowned Swiss tobacconist Vahe Gerard's book "Cigars", he mentioned that one of the key components for the successful aging of CCs is the regular brushing of the stogies, in order to "remove settles particles of humidity and sawdust that block the wrapper's pores". This is something new to me as I have never seen or heard of anything like this, including MRN's masterpiece.

I'm wondering if any seasoned aficionados out there practice this?

Thanks in advance.

Ben

Fuuny you should mention this. I was in a different Geneva cigar store a few years ago purchasing an older box of cigars, the cigars had fantastic little crystals of plume all over. The owners wife was assisting me and she took out what looked like an old fashioned shaving brush and starts going at the cigars. I was shocked, having never seen this before. I asked her to stop obviously...but couldnt believe that she thought this was proper etiquette.

I never brush. But I always floss.

This is the first I've heard of it and off the top of my head, can't imagine how this could have any effect whatsoever. Once the leaf is dead, I'm pretty sure the pores no longer figure in regulating transport of either gases or moisture. As for "particles" of humidity, no idea what that means. In any case, to do this implies you'd have to remove the ribbon from bundled cigars in cabs. Or is this practice restricted to dressed boxes?

Wilkey

brian1: I'm not sure if it's a Swiss tradition. I've never heard of Zino Davidoff doing it... but it's interesting nonetheless to have a 1st hand account.

Ginseng: Although it's not explicitly mentioned in the book, but I would think that cigars in both cabinets and SBNs are brushed, especially seeing how cabinets are valued for their long-term aging qualities. I'm intrigued for sure, as I've never encountered any serious collector in Hong Kong or anywhere else for that matter who does this(it would probably be too time consuming to regularly give 100,000 cigars a good brush down.) ;)

brian1: I'm not sure if it's a Swiss tradition. I've never heard of Zino Davidoff doing it... but it's interesting nonetheless to have a 1st hand account.

Hi

Never heard it, never seen it, nor in my local cigar shop or in any Geneva shop. Please PM me the name of the store and i will check it will some of my cigar smoking friends in Geneva.

cheers

PM sent.

Hi

Never heard it, never seen it, nor in my local cigar shop or in any Geneva shop. Please PM me the name of the store and i will check it will some of my cigar smoking friends in Geneva.

cheers

Stumbled across this picture on the Hunters and Frankau (UK distributors) website no less. Note the brush.

Sometimes in an open display (walk in humidor) cigars that have sat around for some time lid open will accumulate dust. I am assuming here that the brush is there to gently dust down.

Gerard is also responsible, as I understand it, for the controversial concept that Cuban cigars go through a "sick period."

Wasn't it the Cubans, who wrote the disclaimer that cigars should "be smoked either within one month of the date of the date of shipment from Havana or should be carefully matured for about one year."

Also, I concur with MRN's opinion that CCs go through a sick period of about 1 year or slightly longer, although some take less than that.

There are some Swiss BOTLs here who will know more about this mysterious practice of course. :cigar:

Wasn't it the Cubans, who wrote the disclaimer that cigars should "be smoked either within one month of the date of the date of shipment from Havana or should be carefully matured for about one year."

This text can actually be found on the Rafael Gonzales dressboxes.

I´ve heard that this statement came from an british cigar importer in the thirties. I have no idea if it is true or not...

This text can actually be found on the Rafael Gonzales dressboxes.

I´ve heard that this statement came from an british cigar importer in the thirties. I have no idea if it is true or not...

Possible, seeing how Rafael Gonzalez was created for the British market in 1928.