Cohiba Siglo VI - MEL FEB 08

asmith

lol.... its all about you, Ayala.

Good honest feedback guys.

Do you think the blend is wrong in this box... or is it something else?

It appears you were all happy with construction and appearance qualities - so what do you think made this one fail where others V1's have succeeded? Availability of suitable leaf quality perhaps?

as you bastards well knew, i was hard at work in the barossa, drinking an array of great wine, including the odd grand cru burgundy. and serves you right for getting duds when you deliberately pick one of my faves, knowing i was not there.

Work? Pffft. Scandalous Gargett.

as you bastards well knew, i was hard at work in the barossa, drinking an array of great wine, including the odd grand cru burgundy. and serves you right for getting duds when you deliberately pick one of my faves, knowing i was not there.

Gee Gargett, don't read the next review or you will snap, no matter how good the Grand Cru

Once a dud always a dud i guess a bum box gents maybe ?

I see a second review of this stick coming as Rob you are correct its is a benchmark cigar and should perform like one everytime young or aged maybe Ken will be around in town for this one.

Thanks for the review guys. While I've not smoked a great number of Siglo VI, all that I have smoked have been pretty much as you've

described - smooth but lacking in flavor overall. I have to say that with the impression I got from the panel, I was a bit surprised by Smithy's

and Al's rating - RA's seemed closer to the mark - at least to me subjectively.

And while perhaps a bit of a sticky subject, I'm glad you brought up price versus other available cigars. You mentioned Upmann Mag 50 -

how about the Sir Winston, Partagas 898, Bolivar CG, etc?

I have to say that with the impression I got from the panel, I was a bit surprised by Smithy's

That's what caught me off guard. For such a so-so cigar, why the high rating?

Thanks for the review guys. While I've not smoked a great number of Siglo VI, all that I have smoked have been pretty much as you've

described - smooth but lacking in flavor overall. I have to say that with the impression I got from the panel, I was a bit surprised by Smithy's

And while perhaps a bit of a sticky subject, I'm glad you brought up price versus other available cigars. You mentioned Upmann Mag 50 -

how about the Sir Winston, Partagas 898, Bolivar CG, etc?

I really enjoyed mine Colt. It wasn't outstanding but very good indeed. I may have slipped it a few more points for it being the day after my daughter arrived and it was smoked in the best of company. For a lighter profile cigar there's nothing I like more than a Cohiba and on Tuesday it really hit the spot.

I see a second review of this stick coming as Rob you are correct its is a benchmark cigar and should perform like one everytime young or aged maybe Ken will be around in town for this one.

thanks jimmy. i understand. what you mean is you want to see it done right!!

Rob took into consideration the premium paid for these cigars and as a result was harder on the cigar than us two who were purely looking at the cigar. He was right on that point though for a premium cigar it should be better for that price tag.

P3130004.jpg

Rob was immediately on the phone to his Fiji connection and was heard to say.

" Lift your bloody game on those cigar bands, can't you see I have an entourage of hangers on to support."

I can see where Alain and Smithy were coming from.

Construction: Immaculate

Smell at cold: Immaculate

Wrapper: Immaculate

Smoothness: Without flaw. No hints of amonia.

Body: Medium.

Complexity: They saw more than I.

What irked me personally was that I have had "great" young VI's and this was not one of them. I expected/demanded "more".

The purpose of this review series is to get a mix of opinion which is what we got here. I am quite certain that if I handed out half a dozen of these cigars I would get few if any complaints with most commenting on the smoothness and clean burning toasted tobacco flavours.

I just wanted to see the "fruit" of youth. The notes of honey and cream. I marked accordingly.

Rob i would agree from where you are coming from as most buy cigars and smoke them young out of the box and should get the WOW what a dam good cigar from they price paid.But all cigars of all price ranges should deliver good flavor period!!!

I have smoke some Siglo VI 's that were young and said WOW dam good cigar but most of the time they are just ok.

I am a believer cigars have to be real good fresh to have any chance of having great aged flavor later down the road they must work together. :bsmeter:

I can see where Alain and Smithy were coming from.

Construction: Immaculate

Smell at cold: Immaculate

Wrapper: Immaculate

Smoothness: Without flaw. No hints of amonia.

Body: Medium.

Complexity: They saw more than I.

What irked me personally was that I have had "great" young VI's and this was not one of them. I expected/demanded "more".

The purpose of this review series is to get a mix of opinion which is what we got here. I am quite certain that if I handed out half a dozen of these cigars I would get few if any complaints with most commenting on the smoothness and clean burning toasted tobacco flavours.

I just wanted to see the "fruit" of youth. The notes of honey and cream. I marked accordingly.

No doubt about that...For the premium paid I would have expected more. I was thinking in the mid 80s. I always take into account the premium paid for a cigar and it should deliver. Albeit it was a young cigar. Now if you had the same flavors in a H. Upmann or Hoyo, then I wouldn't be so harsh since there isn't a big premium to be paid.

its funny but every siglo VI or II I have ever smoked has been exactly as you described, very un-cohiba like and underwhelming...

In complete opposite to this the siglo III has always been spot on. Might have to try the more recent variations of the above vitolas very soon...

• 5 weeks later...

Cigars are meant to be smoked young as the blender blends them to have flavor young. People do not buy boxes of cigars knowing they will be bland or just plain suck and have to wait years to be good . :forkyou:

The cigar has to have good flavor young to judge how it will age down the road.

A blender does not blend a cigar to be bland fresh and that pretty much sums it up and overall makes the most sense.

I just love it when I see on many forums this cigar is terrible young but in 5 1/2 years and 3 sec it will be ready to smoke . :frown: Ass Clowns !!! I can tell you it will be terrible no matter how many years of age.

Good young cigar will most likely be a great tasting aged cigar down the road...

I do agree a young crappy cigar is an old crappy cigar. However, Cohiba, as a whole, is not a marca you typically want to smoke young. The grassiness tends to dominate the youth of the cigar. Over time the grassiness typically mellows and the the other flavors come out, making the cigar more complex. Cohibas are often described as lacking depth early. I don't want to be able to "tell the flavors are there" but know it's not ready. But I digress, lest I start to sound like some snoot in a magazine that's full of himself, which I'm not, just my 2c. There are exceptions to everything. I've heard recent Siglo III's are pretty good young. But I don't smoke Cohibas young. PDS4, RASS, Monte No. 2s, RASCC, BRC, PLPCs, Edmundos, Reyes, and so on...anyway, point being, there are lots of cigars out there that are hits young more of then than they aren't. But if you put out a post asking people what their favorite young smokes are, Cohibas aren't exactly dominating the replies.