last morning in nz

Ken Gargett

was one of the less successful days but still terrific. on the branch. walked down to the river with my guide, greg, and there was a fish feeding on a gravel bank. second cast - nice start to the day. it went just over seven. got one 3 1/2 the next cast then stuffed up one a little better than the first but that was it for the day. they did not want to know after that. will post more soon.

post-9-1236161116.jpg

i meant to mention that this fish should be ashamed. never have i caught anything remotely of that size that fought so poorly. if it was a horse, they'd call the stewards. hooked it, it dropped back level and then just held ground. nothing. i put a bit of pressure on and it came over to the swide and we netted it. then it thrashed about like a two dollar hooker (i can only assume that, based on mate's tales). the day before, caught quite a few 5lb and less and they acquitted themselves admirably. some took me at least 100 yards downstream and fought and fought.

this fish should be drummed out of the fish union.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow

Words can't define how much fun this trip looks like.

At present my Fly rod is down for the count. I'm sending it in to be fixed. Also I have to invest in some gear to go deep into the Everglades. Also in Key West the Bone fish are running.