NorCal Steelhead Fishing

jstixrud

With the lack of rain this year we're dangerously looking at low water conditions. I figure this may be the only trip I get to plan.

These are from the Eel River. We caught and released quite a few dandies, ranged sizes, with the largest going 15lbs and most averaging 10.

The one I got on film was the smallest of the trip (for me). Its really tough trying to do 3 things at once (rowing,handling the camera, and fighting a fish), so I usually dont get that many pictures taken.

post-5025-1233670793.jpg

I still think the trip is really all about the experience though. The views are spectacular.

post-5025-1233670883.jpg

it looks fantastic. i have two trips to new zealand this month and cannot wait.

Thats one of my "to do's" when I get the opportunity.

From what I understand you'll be catching the same strain of fish. I heard the broodstock came from the Eel river. However, I've been known to be wrong.

Thats one of my "to do's" when I get the opportunity.

From what I understand you'll be catching the same strain of fish. I heard the broodstock came from the Eel river. However, I've been known to be wrong.

i've heard various stories about how trout got to both australia and nz but i could not be certain. you are more than likely correct. sight fishing for big easily spooked trout in some spectacular country in crystal clear water (where you can walk through bush without far of disturbing snakes) is just about heaven.

as for rob's 'additions', i must say that every time i go i take a few 'victory' cigars but i never smoke them. i never get time. just keen to keep fishing. i do enjoy one or two back at the lodge.

promised myself if i ever got any serious trout, i'd settle back on the riverbank with sig vi or so but when i did, was so excited, couldn't wai to get the line back in the water.

As far as the company is concerned - I've been making these trips with a good friend of mine for years now. If we're not in my boat, we're in his. It's a vertual "mi casa, su casa" scenerio. Plus side is that he can row as well as I.

I'm with you Ken. I've been known to bring a cigar or two on the trip but usually dont have time to smoke unless we're off the river. I just can't sit and give the cigar the attention it deserves. I absolutely will stop and smoke one when I get that personal record (20lbs or +).

Now Shad season is a different story, and one I'll have to post about in a few months.

O.K.

Guys I smoke cigars, when driving to go fishing, Fishing, on my Kayak, Boat, after lunch, and even if I break my personal record 180 plus Tarpon etc. You never know when a cigar is going to provide that nice smoke we all look forward to....some of my best smokes have become so on the water.

Also sometimes the mind take in the flavors more when you are not thinking about it.