PRIME RIB

Rogers72

A work mate of mine used to make one every year - he used one of the electric rotisseries you see on TV.

I believe it was called the ronco showtime.

He spice rubbed it the day before, let it sit overnight, then put it on the rotisserie for approx twenty minutes

per pound.

Delicious, and set and forget.

I have agreed to help out my Mother in Law on Christmas and cook the Prime Rib. I have never done one before and was curious as to the best method. Any tips?

The phase that pays when roasting most meats is "Low & Slow" also for good beef (and Prime Rib is the best cut from the carcass) you want to have some age on it. If the MIL hasn't purchased it yet have her contact the butcher or meat deptment to have them set aside the roast so it will have a 3 or 4 weeks age from packing date when your cooking it. Roast it in the oven uncovered (dry heat) at about 300F / 150C and if you have a meat thermometor, you want to cook to about 140F / 60C internal for medium, less for rare etc. Length of time will depend on size of roast and whether it is bone on or a Bnls Lip on Ribeye.

The phase that pays when roasting most meats is "Low & Slow" also for good beef (and Prime Rib is the best cut from the carcass) you want to have some age on it. If the MIL hasn't purchased it yet have her contact the butcher or meat deptment to have them set aside the roast so it will have a 3 or 4 weeks age from packing date when your cooking it. Roast it in the oven uncovered (dry heat) at about 300F / 150C and if you have a meat thermometor, you want to cook to about 140F / 60C internal for medium, less for rare etc. Length of time will depend on size of roast and whether it is bone on or a Bnls Lip on Ribeye.

I agree with most of the details here except that 140 is way too high of an internal temperature for a quality piece of meat. Pull it at around 125 for rare and letting carryover cooking take it the rest of the way.

I had also heard around 120-125 internal and it will continue to rise after pulling it. I'm thinkin of "searing" it on the grill at high temp for a few minutes on each side just to keep me from feeling like I am baking. Thoughts?

I'm thinkin of "searing" it on the grill at high temp for a few minutes on each side just to keep me from feeling like I am baking. Thoughts?

I've cooked many roasts indirectly on a weber kettle. I used to sear them over the coals first, but no longer do it.

I don't feel it really made a difference. I get plenty of color and some crust without searing.

And don't think of it as baking - you'll be roasting. I hope everything goes well for you.

Some great advice already given.

Keep in mind that slow roasting takes intense vigilence. Scientifically it can't be done under 1 1/2 botles of wine and two cigars. Note to your mother and family.......you need to concentrate!

Good luck! :shead:

Cooked the PR on Saturday and it turned out great. I did sear it for a few minutes on each side on the grill but not sure if that made a huge difference. I then cut some 1" deep slits across the fat side every few inches and stuffed those cuts with fresh garlic and butter, then covered it with more salt and pepper then put in the oven on 225 and let it roast uncovered until I got about 125F. I think it was perfect with most of the middle slices rare and the outside slices medium or so. One bottle of wine and one 898V was necessary but two bottles and two cigars would have worked better!

Glad it came out good for you Rogers72. I use the Alton Brown method of a clay pot to cook the meat in for even heat. I've made my own prime rib before (using the Alton Brown method found here: Part 1, and Part 2). I even age the roast about a week before cooking (again using the Alton Brown method), makes a HUGE difference in flavor. Dry aging "concentrates" the beefy flavor of the roast.

PrimeRib002.jpg

PrimeRib003.jpg

PrimeRib004.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

We really enjoy Prime Rib at our house and after much experimentation - I've settled into this proven method that produces the meat in the way our family and friends like it the best. In addition to the excellent tips above - one thing in the prep is that I allow the prime rib to come to room temp before roasting - usually this means about 2+ hours out of the fridge. We usually cook about a 7 lb. boneless rib roast when company is over - but every now and then - you just 'have to ' make the Prime Rib with bone....

I start with a 15 minute sear at 450 degrees F (prime rib goes into the oven with the fat side up to allow for self-basting) and then drop the oven to a moderate 325 degrees until the internal temp hits 120 degrees F. The meat comes out of the oven and is allowed to rest (juices are also re-distributing back through the roast at this point) till the internal temp rises to 125 but never more than 127 degrees F (if you have guests that like their roast a bit more 'MEDIUM 'Rare).

This 'special meal' is really one of the simplest and almost fool-proof dishes to make. Go for it - you'll be very glad you tried it!!!

• 6 months later...
We really enjoy Prime Rib at our house and after much experimentation - I've settled into this proven method that produces the meat in the way our family and friends like it the best. In addition to the excellent tips above - one thing in the prep is that I allow the prime rib to come to room temp before roasting - usually this means about 2+ hours out of the fridge. We usually cook about a 7 lb. boneless rib roast when company is over - but every now and then - you just 'have to ' make the Prime Rib with bone....

I start with a 15 minute sear at 450 degrees F (prime rib goes into the oven with the fat side up to allow for self-basting) and then drop the oven to a moderate 325 degrees until the internal temp hits 120 degrees F. The meat comes out of the oven and is allowed to rest (juices are also re-distributing back through the roast at this point) till the internal temp rises to 125 but never more than 127 degrees F (if you have guests that like their roast a bit more 'MEDIUM 'Rare).

This 'special meal' is really one of the simplest and almost fool-proof dishes to make. Go for it - you'll be very glad you tried it!!!

I can attest to Roman's method...... I had the best Prime Rib when I stayed at Roman's many moons ago :unsure: Way to long ago even though I wasn't feeling to well (migrane) I still remember the fantastic meal I enjoyed with my wonderful US family

I will be there again Roman you can count on it

Lisa

man , that picture just gets me jacked up for some prime rib. I've neve done one at home, but the way y'all describe it, even a chowderhead like me won't screw it up... trouble is, my wife is not a beef eater...but, that'll just mean I'll be eating prime rib for a couple of weeks while she watches