Dog rocket to classic?

I'm looking to the guys with years of experience to answer this.

Have you ever bought a box of cigars that you absolutely hated at first try, to later find that with enough age they were fantastic?

If so could you tell me your experience; which brand, size, date. How long did you age them.

I just really started collecting for long term aging in the last two years. I have much to learn.

» i would not say that they were dog rockets but i am a firm believer that

» the mag46's need a minimum of 18 months, and two years would be better,

» before they turn from fairly bland and uninteresting cigars to something

» really worthwhile. just one example.

Funny you mention the Mag46's. My first one was a gift from a friend, I was told it had about 4 years of age on it. From my memory it was a very complex cigar and evolved through at least three major changes. It was a great smoke and one that I surely had add to my regular rotation. Well I finally purchased a box, waited about 6 weeks till I sampled my first from the box. As you stated, bland......not bad but certainly nothing to get excited about.

I'm patiently waiting.:hungry:

I also find that the Upmanns seem to gain a fuller body with age, while all other cigars will mellow.

I think you have to separate a "Dog Rocket" and a "Sleeper".

A Dog Rocket has no inherant redeeming qualities. It is "bad" it is "rough" or if not "rough" it is insipid. The key here is that it uses poor tobacco and is essentially crap. Crap in crap out regardless of time. Guantanamera's come to mind.

A "Sleeper" can be rough or insipid in youth but you can appreciate and taste quality leaf. You have to have faith in the blend and that time will awaken its core.

A Sleeper can become a Dog Rocket. It never awakens. A Dog Rocket can never be a Sleeper....it will never come good.

Boxes I have which have become extraordinary cigars after I have almost written them off.

La Gloria Cubana Medaille D'Or No 2 (7 years)

H Upmann Magnum 46 (5 years)

Punch Punch (5 years)

R&J Exhibicion No 4 (5 years)

Hoyo De Monterrey Des Dieux (5 years).

Some which I own and am stilll waiting:

Box of R&J Prince of Wales (10 years)

Box of R&J Piramides (6 years)

Box of R&J Celestailes Finos (10 years)

Box of HDM Double Coronas (10 years)

Each of the above came from the period 1998-2002. I have had plenty during, prior and subsequent to that period which have been magnificent.

» I think you have to separate a "Dog Rocket" and a "Sleeper".

that was what i was trying to say re the 46's. not dog rockets. sleepers a good term.

on the other hand, the LE monte C's are beyond dog rocket. eons will not save them. doctor who in the tardis could not take them far enough into the future to make them worthwhile.

» on the other hand, the LE monte C's are beyond dog rocket. eons will not

» save them. doctor who in the tardis could not take them far enough into

» the future to make them worthwhile.

:lol2: I love passion.

This may not apply but some. What about the so called "sick period" That some cigars go thru when young. The most I have read starts when they are to wet and green. I here the term used more with Opus because of there quarterly shipping and rushing to the stores. I'm sure there are others but my mind in medicated and it's late. Could somebobe elaborate on that please? Thanks for the help.

One of the really cool things about all this knowledge at FOH is the archive of material on just about any given subject. A quick search of the term sick period turned up numerous references as well as posts dedicated to the subject.

I.E. Check this one out

http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/board_entr...id=91770#p91770