Trinidad Ingenios Edicion Limitada \" Gem or Whore\"

Delightful review, Rob. The half dozen or so I've smoked since their release have been amazing to just pretty good. I suspect that I will continue to find them at least moderately satisfying for the years to come.

The Monte Sublimes...now that's another matter altogether.

Wilkey

» Delightful review, Rob. The half dozen or so I've smoked since their

» release have been amazing to just pretty good. I suspect that I will

» continue to find them at least moderately satisfying for the years to

» come.

»

» The Monte Sublimes...now that's another matter altogether.

»

» Wilkey

Wilkey as soon as a new batch of Monte Sublimes come in I am going to shoot you a box to compare to your current ones. They have been all over the place as our own Monte Sublime review confirmed (6 reviewers...same box). The majority of the ones I have had have been outstanding so I know they exist :-)

» » Delightful review, Rob. The half dozen or so I've smoked since their

» » release have been amazing to just pretty good. I suspect that I will

» » continue to find them at least moderately satisfying for the years to

» » come.

» »

» » The Monte Sublimes...now that's another matter altogether.

» »

» » Wilkey

»

» Wilkey as soon as a new batch of Monte Sublimes come in I am going to

» shoot you a box to compare to your current ones. They have been all over

» the place as our own Monte Sublime review confirmed (6 reviewers...same

» box). The majority of the ones I have had have been outstanding so I know

» they exist :-)

That would be most cool, Rob. I've got reviews of the first two from one box and I can't figure this behemoth out at all. I'll post in the next week or so once I write it up.

BTW, when I like a cigar, I go long. I went long on the Trinis. :-D

TriniIngeniosCab01-1.jpg

Wilkey

» That is a beautiful sight Wilkey :love:

Thanks! It really is pretty decadent looking, but I did it for two practical reasons. First, to minimize the storage space requirements and second, to concentrate the cigars to enhance long term development. I'm partial to high cigar-to-packaging material ratios. :-)

Wilkey

I remember seeing that make shift cab a while back, great idea.

Im going to just wait until you guys say fire away on these cause I only have 12.

• 3 weeks later...

I am possibly at the crossroads on this cigar. I loved it upon release believing in its potential as a serious long term ager. It had a core of quality which I believed to be undeniable. I have had several since and while a little insatiated by the overal performance, the core fundamental quality of tobacco and promise called to me like the mythical Sirens to Sinbad.

I wasn't overly disappointed by todays tasting. It was a solid good cigar and yes it was young. However, I was wanting a "spark" of evolution....a hint of reward. Yet I will be honest in that I experienced more "promise" than "performance". In the darkest recesses of my mind I am wondering whether I have read this girl wrong. Is she going to come good? ....or is she playing me for a sucker?

Lets begin.

Visually she looks great. Lovely dark lonsdale. Look below the surface and the wrapper is lacking in oil and accompanied by a sandpaper like feel to the touch. An inch from the foot is a soft spot which causes concern. Aroma at cold is black tea and simple tobacco.

image8588.jpg

image8589.jpg

image8590.jpg

I clipped the cap and took a test draw. Surprisingly perfect whith the ideal level of resistance. Flavour on the lips was muted....dry grass and Vuelta Abajo tobacco.

I put her to the flame, intense black pepper opening but I am aghast at the simple cigarette flavours which followed. Thankfully they did not last long (a minute) as the black pepper (biting) was joined by a perfect dry wood note. Interestingly purging through the nose did not reveal any black pepper (or any other) spice notes.

This is nothing akin to prior tastings and although I am more than aware of blend inconsistency it crossed my mind that I had either lost my palate or had been shaken down for an LE ride. At the height of my despondency in that first inch there were reassurances through the arrival of a little nougat and dried fruits to accompany the woodiness and ever constant black pepper.

image8591.jpg

image8592.jpg

The Nougat and dried fruits were calling but I could not reach out and embrace them. So faint, so teasing that I felt I needed to put another $10 note down their garter. I persisted drawing slowly and calmly. The Ingenios is certainly not one dimensional....just watered down at this point of its life cycle. The aroma of the smoke reminded me very much of the Vegas Robaina Anniversary Lonsdale I had last week....sweet, woody, rich tobacco. The aroma unfortunately does not translate to the palate in the same intensity. I feel a little cheated.

image8593.jpg

The strength of this cigar is currently in its last third where the sweet cocoa arrives like a cavalry to save the day. Mixed with the dried fruits (figs predominantly), the woody cedar and the black pepper it reminds me of its promise in the years to come.

Still I have almost had enough of the promises of this harlot. I have had too many great young cigars (Punch Petiti Corona/Punch Petit Punch/Partagas 898V/Partagas Serie De Connoisseur no 3) that I am seeking greatness now as opposed to promises thereof.

Put out or bugger off is my state of mind in relation to this cigar. I will give her until July 09 to see the light and I will report back.

image8594.jpg