Long term storage and RH

I have recently been told that storing cigars over the long term (years) at 72-80% RH helps them age better. Is this accurate? The explanation was that the higher ambient RH would minimize the humidity escaping from the cigar, thus minimizing the loss of oils. I've just done a bunch of research on this and haven't heard or read anything to support this. Did I miss something?

Essential Oils do not dissipate below 61% RH on my experience (and there is little scientific fact to what I do. I age them at that for personal consumption...I like to age and smoke right off the bat).

There are guys I respect a great deal who age cigars mid 50's RH but shrinkwrap the box or at least put them in Ziplocks (I don't do that generally because I don't age cigars fo more than 10 years as not to my taste).

I can't comment on higher humidity aging simply because I don't do it (or ever have).

» » I have recently been told that storing cigars over the long term (years)

» at

» » 72-80% RH helps them age better.

»

» I try to maintain roughly 63% for short, mid, and long term. 80% sounds

» like a mold problem

» just waiting to happen.

Agreed. The danger of mold at over 75% is far more scary to me than exposure to dryer conditions at 55%. Honestly, my opinion is that you can store at 60% indefinitely; the killer of cigars is frequent and wide fluctuations of temp or humidity. Stability is the most critical factor (IMO).

Shelby, there is a local B&M that promotes 80% in thier walk in humidor as a faster way to age the smokes. I have seen blue and green mold on non cello sticks in the shop on a number of occasions.

???

» Shelby, there is a local B&M that promotes 80% in thier walk in humidor as

» a faster way to age the smokes. I have seen blue and green mold on non

» cello sticks in the shop on a number of occasions.

»

» ???

Thats just plain criminal behaviour...:-(