Weight of Individual Cigars

One of the interesting things about my website is the number of various and curious questions that are put to me. I got quite an interesting one today (from Germany).

Could you give me some advice on weight of cigars?

I have bought a box of 10 Siglo VI;

out of interest I have weight them all and found a weight-variation from 14g up to nearly 20g.

Is there any guideline for how much difference is tolerated for cigars of one single box?

Has anyone ever weighed their cigars.....certainly not me.

My initial thoughts that they might be fake as 14g to 20g is (I would have thought) an extreme variation. I have seen some websites where the weight of cigars is shown and they are normally expressed to 1/100 of a gram......I thought that with this expressed order of accuracy, the individual weights must be very consistent.

So I grabbed a full box of 25 Siglo VI and a jeweller's scale accurate to 0.01g.

My measurements both amazed me and confirmed the above advice.

The cigars varied between 13.68g and 19.30g.

For the more scientific inclined, the mean average was 15.83g and the standard deviation was 1.32g. ????with this variation, expressing a cigar's weight to 0.01g is pointless, so lets say 15.8g with a SD of 1.3g???

As soon as I get rid of this cold, I am going to smoke the lightest & heaviest and see if this equates to under-filled and plugged.

This might turn out to be a simple test (except for plugged caused by twisted leaf).

This simple measurement reminded me of a comment on another site where a prominent cigar person revealed that he and many other serious Hong Kong collectors (I may have given this away :lookaround: ) had been smoking a certain special release without anyone realising that the actual cigars were some 15mm shorter than the reported (Habanos) documented size. One never thinks to check the obvious.

Question for Rob: is there any policy? and/or is their any standard weight for cigars?

» Question for Rob: is there any policy? and/or is their any standard

» weight for cigars?

Trev, I know you are addressing RA, but he does give a weight for each cigar in the store.

What is considered an acceptable deviation, I've no idea and will be interested to hear any insight.

15mm? Quality control.........

» As soon as I get rid of this cold, I am going to smoke the lightest &

» heaviest and see if this equates to under-filled and plugged.

» This might turn out to be a simple test (except for plugged caused by

» twisted leaf).

G'day, Trevor,

Very cool, if it's that simple and the more I think about it, the more likely it seems that weight would directly relate to draw. I'd like to know what Punch Joe thinks on this!

» » Question for Rob: is there any policy? and/or is their any standard

» » weight for cigars?

»

» Trev, I know you are addressing RA, but he does give a weight for each

» cigar in the store.

» What is considered an acceptable deviation, I've no idea and will be

» interested to hear any insight.

» 15mm? Quality control.........

It would be interesting to find out from RA if he uses weight to determine what is good and bad in his "hand selection" process. Are the weights denoted on his website a specific goal for that particular model? I noticed he had 15.1g for a Punch Churchills. I've measured them as high as 18g. The one box I did measure showed a huge difference in draw. The entire box could be classifed in three different weight tiers(14, 16, and 18 grams). The draw was consistently firmer on the 16's and almost impossible on the 18's. This is the only box that I own that exhibits draw problems. 1/3 of the box measures at 18g the other 1/3 is 16g and the last 1/3 is 14g. I clipped the cap on all of them to determine the actual draw after I weighed them. So yes, weight undoubtable determines draw issues. I'm sure other factors could be involved, like rolling technique. But if all the 18g cigars in a box are impossible then it's an easy conclusion. I'll keep these cigars to practice my own rolling technique. Perhaps I can fix them by removing some of the filler. I would say with a good amount of certainty that the perfect weight for a Punch Churchill should be at 15g considering the noticable difference between 14g and 16g.

There is a schedule of weights issued by HSA which covers every vitola. As an example Petit Corona is 8.46 g. Churchill 15.07g, Belicoso 12.46g etc

Distributors need these weights when importing cigars as the "official weights list" is what is used when determining taxes to be paid in the country into which they are being imported.

Now the reality is that the weights vary. Moisture content, hand roll variation etc....but a benchmark is needed otherwise the system would be unworkable.

If anyone is interested I could post the "official" weights.

» That would be fun information to have, Rob. Thanks!

»

» Wilkey

Although I wouldn't have as much "fun" as Wilkey... I would be interested as well. :)

Would the "official" weight be a dry cigar or would it be a cigar at the proper humidity for smoking? Seems that an "official" weight might be a bit elusive since the weight would depend on the moisture content of the cigar.

» Would the "official" weight be a dry cigar or would it be a cigar at the

» proper humidity for smoking? Seems that an "official" weight might be a

» bit elusive since the weight would depend on the moisture content of the

» cigar.

Official weight is the average cigar shipped fom Havana :-)

» » I would def. be interested.

» Hey Alan,

»

» The Prez started a new post with this information:

» [link=http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/board_entry.php?id=93095]clicky[/link]

»

» ~Joe

Thanks fugwumpy!