Help... I am infested!

All,

I have read all about the processes regarding the care of beetle affected sticks. My question is as follows: Once the freezing and refrigeration along with the gradual escalation of temperature has taken place, how can i care for my humidor such that i can be sure there are no more beetles in it prior to the replacement of my cigars in the humidor.

Thanks a million,

Alan

» All,

»

» I have read all about the processes regarding the care of beetle affected

» sticks. My question is as follows: Once the freezing and refrigeration

» along with the gradual escalation of temperature has taken place, how can

» i care for my humidor such that i can be sure there are no more beetles in

» it prior to the replacement of my cigars in the humidor.

»

» Thanks a million,

» Alan

Well, if you are comfortable that all you sticks are intact then you can order some beetle lure traps as one mode of prevention. To keep in the humidor. These are usually for larger humidors. You can do a search on cigarette or tabacco beetle traps.

Another would be to invest in a chilled humidor from Avallo or Aristocrat if you are in the US.

Also obviously keeping the temp cool in the area where your humi(s) are located is another preventative measure.

Thoroughly wipe your humidor down with distilled water only. Don't use anything else as it may stain or impart an odor that will eventually permeate your cigars. After you put the cigars back the traps are a good idea, but these will only give an indication of a reinfestation. If you see beetles in the trap then it's time to refreeze your stash.

The traps are baited with an attractant, so once you are comfortable that your cigars have not been reinfested I'd think about removing the trap. No sense in luring the little buggers back to the humi.

i went through this once.

while all the cigars were in the freezer and the humidor was empty, i took a high powered vacuume and ran it through the entire humi, getting out any dung,loose tobacco shake and any buggers that may have been walking around. after it was spotless, i took a clean,soap-free sponge and whiped down the entire interior with distilled water and left the lid open for it to dry out.

than i put the sticks back in when they were finished with the freezing,fridge and room temp process.

this worked perfectly.

good luck!

» All,

»

» I have read all about the processes regarding the care of beetle affected sticks. My question is as follows: Once the freezing and refrigeration along with the gradual escalation of temperature has taken place, how can i care for my humidor such that i can be sure there are no more beetles in it prior to the replacement of my cigars in the humidor.

»

» Thanks a million,

» Alan

The only safe method is to keep the cigars at or below 18deg C = 64deg F See [link]http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/7-cigars.htm#Cigar_Pests_&_Problems[/link]

» My question is as follows: Once the freezing and refrigeration

» along with the gradual escalation of temperature has taken place, how can

» i care for my humidor such that i can be sure there are no more beetles in

» it prior to the replacement of my cigars in the humidor.

Best method: sell the humidor :-D

Second best method depends on the size of the humidor and the size of your freezer, or freezer that can be made available to you for a few days.

1/ In case you have access to a freezer large enough to receive your humidor, freeze the humidor for a few days.

2/ In case you cant freeze the humidor, do as Jay did, vacuum clean, blow out, leave open in sun, etc. Dont forget to freeze the humidifier or anything else that is in the humidor.