Punch or Clip?

Greetings all-

A friend and I were about to fired up a couple of Padron 1964's last nite when I realized that I did not having my trusty cutter on hand.

So we were forced to use a cheapo plastic guillotine, which was a disaster to cut a box press cigar. It had me thinking about which is the prefered method of prepping a cigar. Double blade cutter? punch?

V-cutter? scissors?

What say you? :-D

A nice sharp "Craftsman" pocket knife I have been carrying for 30+ years... sometimes I simulate a punch, other times I just serate the top cap. Pyramides I still use a sharp dual blade cutter.

well Padrons are a bit unique. You can effectively bite off the end very easily. In fact Jose Padron who smokes up to 9 a day never uses a cutter.

For all other smokes I like my Palio. The key is a sharp blade so you can cut just the top of the cap to leave a rounded edge. A dull guillitine will pinch the cap and sometimes cause the wrapper to split. The palio has yet to fail on a cut for me, it is my go to cutter.

» Greetings all-

»

» A friend and I were about to fired up a couple of Padron 1964's last nite

» when I realized that I did not having my trusty cutter on hand.

» So we were forced to use a cheapo plastic guillotine, which was a disaster

» to cut a box press cigar. It had me thinking about which is the prefered

» method of prepping a cigar. Double blade cutter? punch?

» V-cutter? scissors?

»

» What say you? :-D

Double blade cutter. A nice little slim number that I keep in my wallet at all times (in case I need an emergency cigar!)

I've never liked the idea of a punch and while I've never used a V-cutter I can see how'd they be good on small ring gague cigars, but not the big ones.

» » What say you? :-D

»

» So as not to repeat myself, here's a link to one of a number of threads on

» the topic:

»

» [link=http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/board_entry.php?id=71002&page=0&order=time&category=all.tld/]Link[/link]

Tnx 4 the link, I did try searching b4 posting :confused:

my Search-Fu skillz must be weak! :-P

» Tnx 4 the link, I did try searching b4 posting :confused:

» my Search-Fu skillz must be weak! :-P

Spartan, the search function is great, but there's no problem with asking a question.

The reality is that I was too lazy to give a complete answer, and thought you might

like to read some of the previous responses to a similar question.

» » Tnx 4 the link, I did try searching b4 posting :confused:

» » my Search-Fu skillz must be weak! :-P

»

» Spartan, the search function is great, but there's no problem with asking

» a question.

» The reality is that I was too lazy to give a complete answer, and thought

» you might

» like to read some of the previous responses to a similar question.

That link is to a excellent thread! :ok:

When all else fails, I'll use a Cuban Cut.

Ha ha, I just got to perfectioning my Cuban Cut style. You are so right, Tamp. When everything else above fails, you just need to put it in your mouth and that´s it. Sometimes I use my fingernail to lift the cap and it´s way easier. ;-)

Ussually I use my punch since it´s better to fit in my pocket when I´m touring factories but at the office I have a double cutter Xikar blade, my favourite. Cutting a cigar is a very personal ritual. Cigar etiquette is a must for many, but sometimes you are in the outback realizing where the hell is your guillotine... and that´s when your Cuban cut is in action.

Robaina taught me to use a cigar punch years ago when they were hard to find in the stores. He told me, that for him, was the best accesory ever made because when used you are showing respect for the cigar. That gentle yet non agressive cut is perfect for the cigar while guillotines are too agresive taking into consideration how many skill and dexterity were put on making the cap. Noblesse oblige. For him, using a guillotine was criminal act. He loves the Cuban Cut as well.

Can´t cope with V cutters, my opinion. they are relatively ugly as a tool and yet innefecctive for me. Scissors for sommeliers or maybe guys, :-) I would never use a scissor in my life if I had my razor blade beside me.

I've been using the xikar as well. I don't actually use it to clip though. I find myself just engaging the blades along a line that is high up on the shoulder. This tends to just score the cap which I flick off with my fingers.

Works well with parejos but with figurados i just bite in with the xikar at an angle as has been suggested by many others here.

I had many problems on non cubans while using a punch. Perhaps I was too much of a newbie, but I found that with a punch I would often get globs of tar like crap at the cut that were just nasty. Anybody else run into this problem?

Chris