Claudius...eat your heart out...my first pipe :-)

Very Cool Jose,

I've smoked Shisa in Cairo at the Hilton and thought I was an old hand at it. Then I had a few puffs of a Shisa in a Nubian Village one night a few miles up the river from The Valley of Kings.

Jeeesus, I have never been so freakin' stoned in all my life. On the walk back to the boat that night the rocks on the hillside were talking to me and when I talked back to them, they started following me. Funny now, but at the time, well, it all made perfect sense.

» Does not look like regular tobacco is smoked with that! Wacky Tabacy maybe,

» or some Napelese Hash, but not tobacco. Beautifully made Al, functional,

» perhaps not!

My thoughts exactly. Looks like a mantel item and not a smoking instrument. It also puts me in mind of that pink shirt Rob wore in Tampa. Is there secret he wants to share? (NTTAWWT)

» Jeeesus, I have never been so freakin' stoned in all my life. On the walk back to the boat that night the rocks on the hillside were talking to me and when I talked back to them, they started following me. Funny now, but at the time, well, it all made perfect sense.

That´s a hell of a ride, my friend. :rotfl:

• 1 month later...

Beautiful present Al. That´s reminds me my trip to Lebanon in 2003 where we were treated to dinner and later smoking the Narguile. You know, colleagues of mine were hesitant about that but I was a gentleman and took the first step. I didn´t enjoy the same way I do with cigars but it was a great experience to share Narguile pipe smoking while others were just staring at it. For the Lebanese there including dancing girls I was the star of the day. Good memories. image8180.jpgimage8181.jpg

» Alain brought this back for me from his honeymoon....my first pipe.

»

» Claudius I'm sorry...I know you are a pipe aficionado...but this is not

» for sale :lol2:

» image8141.jpg

Hi Rob! :-D

What the hell!? :-D You're supposed to put pipe tobacco in there, not an egg! :lol:

Where did he bring it back from? I've never seen a pipe like it. :-)

Cool aren't they? They're from Indonesia, made on a small island off Surabaya (east Java). They're made from Sea Snail Shell, Bamboo and the mouthpiece is carved from Water Buffalo Horn.

The locals use these to smoke the local tobacco, only they're a bit more agricultural than this one. I bought a few of them as presents (sorry Ken, it's a present, just smile politely and stick it in the bottom of your sock drawer) and each painted design is different.

The only other iconic Indonesian souvenir I could find for smokers were these, but I just didn't think they sent the right message:

image8183.jpg