Habanos Generalisation Challenge

Habanos Generalisation Challenge

Being more of a festive smoker than a daily smoker I sometimes find it hard to explain to newbies the difference in flavour profiles between brands. I understand that this forum allows us to go into great detail about all things stoggie related and many subjects not so smokey in character. But I put the challenge out to try and sum up each marque’s classic flavour profile in just two words. I made it two to make it more difficult, even when you take into consideration all the different flavours within different cigars within each marque. I tried to give it a go. It’s almost impossible. I’m sure some forum members will come up with some more adventurous terms in their two words. But I kept it simple. It may cause some healthy debate.

Cohiba – Crème brule, Wood

Partagas – Rum, Pepper

Monte – Coffee, Toast

La Gloria Cubana – Orange, Cream

Juan Lopez – Grass, Wood

Hoyo – Leather, Wood

Bolivar – Rum, Leather

Upmann – Leather, Toast

SLR – Leather, Cashews

Hi Bill,

My taste buds have yet to develop the acumen required... but there are guys here with the experience to accurately profile the marcas.

A thread long the same lines can be found in the "Classic Posts" subforum...

[link=http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/board_entry.php?id=45423&page=0&category=Classic+Posts&order=last_answer&descasc=DESC]> Classic Posts > Classify your flavour characteristics of the following [/link]

Cheers. Z

» SLR – bland density

Nice work colt, bit surprised at the Saint Louis Rey descriptor but then again, I am personally severely influenced by the double corona which I love and I haven't had a crack at many of the others.

» » SLR – bland density

»

» Nice work colt, bit surprised at the Saint Louis Rey descriptor but then

» again, I am personally severely influenced by the double corona which I

» love and I haven't had a crack at many of the others.

Bill, the Serie A and DC were what I was thinking of when I used that term. I've gone through almost

a whole box of '02 Serie A, and a number of '05 DCs. Unfortunately, I find them rather bland.

Especially with the A, I do feel they have a fairly dense mouth feel, but lack much flavor -

like baking a dense cake using nothing but flour and water. I found the '07 smoked in the FOH

SLR DC long term tasting experiment to be much the same.

I'm still waiting for Ken to send me some of his '01 DCs :lookaround:

Ok...may think I'm a bit loony here....

Anyone ever find a cigar that the pre-light aroma makes them think of that ever-so-heavenly feminine flower of goodness?

Makes you just want to hold that cigar up to your nose and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale and inhale until your nose feels dry because you've been breathing in so much.

Am I alone on this one? :-D

» I'm still waiting for Ken to send me some of his '01 DCs :lookaround:

I guess I'm influenced by only smoking 04 DC's which I liked. I've tried the churchill out of respect for the 04 DC but found that a little uninteresting. I get your point about the dense baked bread feeling but when the DC's are on, the baked bread is combined with a lot more complex flavours over the journey. It's not a visit to a bar in Havana with a BBF but more a visit to a French bakery with fresh bread, pekan pie and vanilla slices. :-D

» Cohiba – properly aged (5 years min) vanilla cream

» Partagas – baking spices

» Monte – burnt cocoa

» La Gloria Cubana – tropical fruit

» Juan Lopez – air cedar

» Hoyo – cedar tea

» Bolivar – leather salt

» Upmann – cedar toast

» SLR – inconsistent meaty

»

» I'm still waiting for Ken to send me some of his '01 DCs :lookaround:

just saw this. how long can a man hold his breath?

actually, i believe i have one, possibly 2 or 3 left. problem is that i strongly suspect that they got mixed in with some 02 and 03 unbanded SLR DC's. so probably only way i'll ever find them is when one of those explodes.

» Anyone ever find a cigar that the pre-light aroma makes them think of that

» ever-so-heavenly feminine flower of goodness?

Well ASC, at the risk of pole vaulting over the bounds of what is considered acceptable here at FOH,

and contrary to what some ex-U.S. presidents may believe.......

A ****** is not a humidor.

» just saw this. how long can a man hold his breath?

I knew I could count on you :lookaround: