Disaster

» If you know of an organiseme that is helping out

» in Cuba, please donate. Thank you

What a sad, awful sight.

I'd normally send something to MSF in a situation such as this, but from the what I read on their site, they ceased their missions in Cuba in the late 90's because of excessive government control. :-(

If anyone knows of a well-regarded charity helping folks in Cuba out, please let us know...

My family is O.K. in Cuba...I will call them again this week to see how they are doing. I just feel kind of upset with the US Gov....We are not able to send anything to help these people.....90 miles away...

Yet we are send so much half way around the world. Oh yea the people there do not want us there!

I have asked the Embassy of Cuba in China if any donation will be arranged but awaiting for the answer.

We will collect some funds through the Aficionados Cigar Club in Beijing and see how we can send it through a serious channel.

Maybe others could do the same ;).

» I just feel kind of upset with the US Gov....We are not

» able to send anything to help these people.....90 miles away...

This article does a good job of giving an update on and clarifiying the current situation regarding international aid:

From the BBC

Page last updated at 17:02 GMT, Tuesday, 16 September 2008 18:02

Cuban storms damage 'worst ever'

Ike killed four people in Cuba and caused widespread flooding

Hurricanes Gustav and Ike have between them inflicted the worst storm damage in Cuba's history, the government says.

The storms - which hit within two weeks of each other - have caused some $5bn (£2.8bn) of damage, affecting nearly 450,000 homes, officials said.

At least 200,000 Cubans lost their homes and crops have been destroyed.

Analysts say the impact of the storms will make it difficult for President Raul Castro to fulfill his pledge to improve living conditions in Cuba.

The Cuban sugar ministry had already reported that Hurricane Ike had destroyed 340,000 hectares of sugar cane - nearly half the annual crop.

'Most devastating'

The government presented its preliminary report on the extent of the storm damage on Cuban state TV on Monday.

Roads have been damaged and crops destroyed by flooding

Gustav and Ike were described as "without a doubt" the most devastating hurricanes ever to have hit Cuba.

"Building and rehabilitating will mean financial investments and resources truly worth multi-millions and will require years of tense work," the report said.

As well as some 200,000 people left homeless, hundreds of thousands more may need temporary accommodation while repairs are carried out.

The storms also damaged Cuba's infrastructure, including its power grid, road network, schools and hospitals.

Gustav hit Cuba on 30 August before carrying on across the Gulf of Mexico and making landfall near the US city of New Orleans.

Just over a week later, Ike first pounded Cuba's eastern coast and then made a second landfall in the western Pinar del Rio region. The capital, Havana, suffered minor damage.

US embargo

On Monday, the US government said it had raised its initial offer of $100,000 aid for Cuban hurricane victims to up to $5m, but Cuba had rejected it.

Cuban state television, quoting a diplomatic cable, said that the government had responded that Cuba "could not accept a gift" while under a US embargo.

The Cuban government had asked the US to consider lifting its 46-year-old trade embargo for at least six months to allow it to buy materials needed for reconstruction, state TV reported.

Washington has said it will not change its policy on the embargo, imposed on Cuba since 1962, but will give some aid to non-governmental organisations that are helping Cubans.

Russia, Spain and Brazil have already sent planes carrying humanitarian aid and more is expected from regional ally Venezuela.

» If you know of an organiseme that is helping out

» in Cuba, please donate. Thank you »

The British Red Cross has launched a general Caribbean Hurricane relief appeal that will provide aid to Cuba. For info and to donate see the link below:

[link]http://www.redcross.org.uk/news.asp?id=85426[/link]

This blog also has links to more charities working to help in Cuba:

[link]http://canarypapers.wordpress.com/2008/09/14/hurricane-victims-need-your-help-here-are-the-links-you-need-to-send-help-to-the-relief-agencies-working-in-the-us-haiti-cuba-and-the-bahamas/[/link]

» Guibou please, I will appreciate if you kept me posted on that serious

» channel.» Seriously. I´m also awaiting for an answer.

» »

I will know more tonight after our Cigar Dinner but it seems that Embassy here will arrange something.

Will let you know ;)

First step: 8 guys for Cigar dinner 2 days ago and $1000 donated already!

I'm proud of my guys!

Really!

I did not expected that!

Don't know why, but i decided to sell the beautifull Mag.50 double the buying price, saying that the profit will go to Cuba...

One guy bought the whole cabinet....

And said right away, triple the price for each stogie for the Cuban Homeless.... incredible!

I was the first to buy one cigar (one of my own...) for 3 times the price i originally bought it (...) and to motivate the others to do the same...

Finally we sold the whole remaining cabinet and with the great support of Sofitel Hotel, we managed to reduce the cost of the cigar dinner, and got a $1000 with only 8 guys!

That is great!

Maybe peanuts for some guys, but I'm sure that it will be great support for the Cuban people :)!

We decided to organize another 2 events in Beijing for Charity in October, in cooperation with the Embassy.

I hope it will attract a lot of people and bring a lot of money to help the Cuban people to recover from Gustave and Ike Hurricanes...

Guib:-) u

• 1 month later...

» First step: 8 guys for Cigar dinner 2 days ago and $1000 donated already!

» I'm proud of my guys!

» Really!

» I did not expected that!

»

» Don't know why, but i decided to sell the beautifull Mag.50 double the

» buying price, saying that the profit will go to Cuba...

» One guy bought the whole cabinet....

» And said right away, triple the price for each stogie for the Cuban

» Homeless.... incredible!

»

» I was the first to buy one cigar (one of my own...) for 3 times the price

» i originally bought it (...) and to motivate the others to do the same...

»

» Finally we sold the whole remaining cabinet and with the great support of

» Sofitel Hotel, we managed to reduce the cost of the cigar dinner, and got

» a $1000 with only 8 guys!

»

» That is great!

»

» Maybe peanuts for some guys, but I'm sure that it will be great support

» for the Cuban people :)!

»

» We decided to organize another 2 events in Beijing for Charity in October,

» in cooperation with the Embassy.

» I hope it will attract a lot of people and bring a lot of money to help

» the Cuban people to recover from Gustave and Ike Hurricanes...

»

» Guib:-) u

Step 2: approx. 65 people for the Cuban Charity Gala Dinner last Saturday :-D !

Not yet done the de-briefing with the team, but it was successful!

We did enjoy the evening and we raised quite some money :)!

I will let you know more after our de-briefing ;)!

To Punch Joe:

Instead of transferring money to Cuba, we found a most effective way to help for the re-construction.

With the help of the Embassy here, we will issue a list of the most needed items in Cuba at the moment and we will buy the material here in China!

Then we'll ship it out to Cuba in container by sea.

We found the right transportation company who has offices in La Havana, so it will be ok for us to control the whole chain ;-) !

Rob, Thanks for the support!

Much appreciated!

I actually ended buying the RA during the auction...

Cheers,

Guibou

»

» I'd normally send something to MSF in a situation such as this, but from

» the what I read on their site, they ceased their missions in Cuba in the

» late 90's because of excessive government control.

i saw a program last night where MSF is struggling in haiti which is also badly damaged, as media interest has waned after the first few days. they were saying how much more needed to be done and talking of the dangers of disease. what was interesting was that they aid the only support was from a few aid agencies and cuban doctors.

you'd think that these doctors could help convince their own goovt to accept aid. leaving aside the politics of it ll, it does seem cuba is quick to assist when needed so you would wish the reserve would happen. i remember fidel offering doctors to assist in new orleans - i think he was just about the first overseas leader to offer. it was knocked back of course and claimed to be a political stunt but had they been allowed to assist, what a great way of breaking down barriers. not for imbecilic politicians. far better that people die for their causes. not a single politician on the planet that should not get daily typhoid injections and no assistance.

as for MSF, i remember when i tried to donate for the tsunami in asia, i went first to them and to their absolute credit, they said that they already had all the donations they needed. so i ended up with some other mob and then you hear stories of 80% going in admin. you wonder if the needy saw a cent.

i well remember tim costello, well known here for charity works etc - and brother of the former treasurer - refusing, on behalf of world care of whoever he fronted, a very large donation from tattersalls. would not accept it because it came from an entity that made its money from gambling. he lost my respect forever at that moment. the unbelievable arrogance of these people - refused money for the needy because it came from an organisation - a legal organisation - that earned its money in a way he did not approve of. and then has the hide to pontificate about what we should give and so on.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

A good friend of mine and our guide has just

come back from Cuba. This morning he sent me an

e-mail with these pics. of Baracoa, in the south of Cuba

(province of Guantenamo) after the passage of IKE.

The pics where taken by Baldomero Fernandez.

No comments are necessary, just prayers.

To all who have family or friends in Cuba,

my heart goes out to you all.

Please take care image8092.jpg

image8093.jpg

image8094.jpg

image8095.jpg

image8096.jpg

image8097.jpg

image8098.jpg

If you know of an organiseme that is helping out

in Cuba, please donate. Thank you

Guy