Montecristo Especiales No 2 URL MAR 01

Gryphon

I have smoked about 5 from my box from 04 and they have been unbelievable. Coffee and cream flavors from start to finish. Every time I smoke them I tell my self to go order another box but just don't have the funds right now.

-Patrick

Initial flavour was delicate, lots of café latte, no spice, mature tobacco underlying the flavours. And then the Especial 2 transformed itself into a kaleidoscope of flavours. All coffee…. But it varied between espresso and classic milk coffee, and through the midpoint all I could taste was espresso. But espresso that you would expect to be made from a blend from Roma and not Milan. That espresso that is sweet enough that you don’t need to add sugar. That’s what I was tasting.

You nailed it :ok:

• 1 month later...

Montecristo Especiales No 2 URL MAR 01

I generally don’t do many cigar reviews. I often feel that my interpretation from taste buds to print will not do the cigar credit, however I must give credit to the Monte Especiales 2, for getting me to sit down and put thought to paper or keyboard….

I smoked this Especiales 2 a week ago while I was away for the weekend.

I had a bit of time on my hands and a lot less on my brain. So having some free time gave me a chance to actually look at what I have in the humidor to smoke during the weekend away.

This was a remarkable cigar that I believe deserves to be immortalised in words. That says a lot, because although I enjoy most of what I smoke I feel that not every good cigar is a 90!

This Especial 2 was the second I have smoked from the box. I am not very familiar with the 2, rather having smoked mainly the Especial No.1. On site of the No.2 I decided it needed to be smoked so I took it out of the humidor. After about 36 hours dry boxing at around 60%RH, I sat down after breakfast to enjoy this special cigar.

The wrapper was a joy to look at. Not much oil and a little rough on the eye, but well constructed. The pig tail was flat, so I carefully took off a small amount of the cap. As I am aware thinner ring gauges from this time can be hit and miss, so I was curious to see how the draw would be. The first from this box that I had a couple of months ago was spot on.

Well the prelight draw was perfect. The cigar lit with ease. It burned absolutely perfectly from start to finish. No relight, no touch ups.

Initial flavour was delicate, lots of café latte, no spice, mature tobacco underlying the flavours. And then the Especial 2 transformed itself into a kaleidoscope of flavours. All coffee…. But it varied between espresso and classic milk coffee, and through the midpoint all I could taste was espresso. But espresso that you would expect to be made from a blend from Roma and not Milan. That espresso that is sweet enough that you don’t need to add sugar. That’s what I was tasting.

As the cigar reached its final third it approached medium to full bodied. Substantial maturity in flavour, boldness but without losing its finesse.

I did not pair the Especiales 2 with anything to drink, I was so riveted by its performance, I never moved from my chair.

You have got to respect a cigar like this. I was blown away by its complexity and its ability to keep my attention for over 1 hour.

I looked back at my notes on the first I smoked, and they were almost identical.

image8042.jpg