So what\'s next?

Greetings FOH,

I'm seeking some guideance on my next smoke.

a little background first: I'm a smooth & mild kinda guy.

For me, a nice cup of joe and a CAO Gold double corona or Macanudo HydePark is one of lifes small pleasures. :-)

My habanos experience has been limited to several Fonseca No.1 (which I really enjoyed), a Monte #2 (nice!) and a Cohiba Robusto

Which I feel that I was not ready to fully appreciate it. IMO It's a shame to waste $$$ on a perfectly good habanos that cannot be truly appreciated. So considering my mild palate what would one recomend? (I was contemplating the Quai D'orsay coronas)

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Member Claudius is a proponent of a different angle on the topic. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about

it yet, but it is certainly worth mentioning. He (and others as well) feels that someone new to the Havana

cigar should choose something with more flavor and body, as it might be more difficult for someone

new to discern the subtle nuances of some of the milder offerings.

So to paraphrase, starting out with let's say a Partagas Serie du Connaisseur No.3 will definitely get your

attention, and show you what a good Havana can be.

Something to consider.

Claudius is a real fan of Hoyo's and Punch ;-)

Fonseca No 1 is a cigar which flew under my radar for a long time. It was nice to revisit a month back to appreciate how good it is.

My recommendations for cigars which are mild/medium, complex and smokeable now would be the following. Others will chime in with their thoughts.

Colt is right though. Throw in some medium/full cigars so that you can have a point of reference.

Sancho Panza Molinos (still a goto for me)

Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure 2 (recent stock has been excellent).

H. Upmann Sir Winston (medium but will delight)

San Cristobal La Punta

Juan Lopez Petit Corona

Rafael Gonzalez Corona Extra

Montecristo Number 1 and number 3

Partagas P2 (as a point of difference).

thanks guys! great list to choose from! :-)

So if im going to partake in a more serious cigar for the first time should I go at it alone or with a beverage? As I noted above, I l-o-v-e the Java :-D is it good to go with fuller bodied smokes?

Some prefer water, others ice tea, stout, wine and yet others whisky/bourbon/rum.

I enjoy a fine rum or juicy Shiraz. Scotch, Bourbon, Cognac and aged Tequilla also feature strongly.

Mornings I accompany a cigar with a straight great black coffee.

My mornings are getting shorter :lookaround:

Hi Spartan,

How's it going in N.Y.?

IMO, Here are 3 cubans you can't go wrong with taste and

aromas but are medium,

Hoyo Epicure no. 1 (one of the cigars I smoke a lot

of when in Cuba, ) because it's not a brainstormer and enjoyable.

SLR Serie A

Por Larranaga Monte-carlo.

Hope this will help, cheers:waving:

» So if im going to partake in a more serious cigar for the first time

» should I go at it alone or with a beverage? As I noted above, I l-o-v-e

» the Java :-D is it good to go with fuller bodied smokes?

Depending on the strength of the cigar you're smoking, it wouldn't hurt to have a sweeter beverage on standby. One of the potential downsides to the "smoking bolder" theory is that some fuller bodied cigars may conatain more nicotine than a Macanudo smoker is accustomed to. Sugar can be helpful in counteracting any wooziness that occurs.

Enjoy your research! I envy you in some small way. While I still have much to learn about this passion of ours, the first year I seriously started smoking cigars was a fantastic journey.

Edited to add: In addition to the very good recommendations above, I think the ERDM Choix Supreme is a fine milder offering.

Spartan,

While I admit that I typically am not much on the milder cigars available, I have read some very good ideas for you to consider. I do suggest that you try a few Quai D'Orsay, the citrus toasted tobacco is very flavorful IMHO. I also concur with the Por Larranaga Monte Carlo (I am a hugh fan of thin ring gauge cigars!). With that in mind, the Partagas Serie du Connaisseur No.3 will provide a frame of reference that others have commented on.

Items for a milder palate to consider:

Cohiba Corona Especial

Montecristo Especial No. 2

Hoyo Epicure No. 2

Por Larranaga Petit Corona

Ramon Allones Specially Selected (Point of reference cigar)

Juan Lopez Seleccion No.1

H. Upmann Petit Corona

Rafael Gonzales Corona Extra

Trinidad Reyes

Whatever you choose, enjoy and let us know about each one.

Just last weekend I started in on a box of Diplomaticos no.2 that have been resting for several months.

I usually like a fuller smoke but this is one of the great mild Cubans, really creamy and smooth, but enough flavor to keep a fuller bodied smokers interest.

i'm afraid this box won't last long.