where NOT to stay in sydney.

For anyone visiting Sydney and thinking they'll do the trendy brand new boutique hotel thing, do NOT, under any circumstances, stay at the supposedly up-market, you-beaut if-this-is-what-trendy-is-you-can-have-it hotel called the Diamant at Kings Cross. Stayed there a few weeks ago and was not too bad, though rooms were dingy and very dimly lit and the way they have the shower floods the bathroom every time you use it. I thought that might be just the one room so didn't worry. No – had another night there and same thing but that was very minor.

This time, we arrive from the airport. No one at the door, no one to get the bags, say hello etc. That doesn't particularly bother me but one of the other guys immediately assumes that Sydney's latest and greatest capital T, trendy spot must be a dive. How right he was.

Go in and get asked for photo ID. In a hotel (bizarrely, I have gone from never been asked to twice in a few days – the Westin in Auckland did likewise but that was a much nicer place)? I point out that they didn't need it two weeks ago. 'Oh, you've stayed here before (thanks for noting that). Then no problem'. What are they, the White House? Then insist on a $100 visa thing for 'accidentals'. No real problem with that.

Then the dingy room – the website notes the 'famous views' from all rooms. Mine is the scaffolding all over the back of an office building. Still, last time I was down, it was looking down Williams Street which wasn't bad and views for overnight stays are something I couldn't care less about. I care more about misrepresentation.

Having dinner with friends so a quick shower (and flood) and ask them to get me a taxi. Remember that this is on the busiest corner in Australia. Traffic is never ending. Them trying to get me a taxi is like Keystone Kops. 30 minutes later and nothing and every excuse. Several have come and gone for the strangest reasons. I am late and have had a gutful so walk outside. I count ten in 60 secs down the nearby corner. Seriously. Actually 11 but that sounds odd. I go in and point this out. Two staff are still desperately working on getting a single taxi and no luck yet. I just walk out and grab one. Should have done it half an hour earlier.

Great dinner and some fantastic wines. Very happy with the world. Get back at midnight exhausted. Despite a continual drone from next door – some giant engine or aircon unit or something, out like a light. For two hours. Then, the noise is just too much. Almost suffocate myself jamming pillows over my head to keep out the din. Finally, 3.40am I ring reception and ask about it. Lachlan says he'll be straight up. So I get dressed and wait. And wait. And wait. Half an hour later, I think that this is ridiculous and try and go back to sleep. No joy. 5.15 I ring again. I get Lachlan. I ask where he has been – I mean how busy can the night desk guy be in a small hotel at 4 in the morning or did he just forget between speaking to me and hanging up? 'Is it still going?' is the response, as though wishful thinking might stop it. Lachlan shows about as much interest as if he has just been told it might rain in Peru tomorrow. I express my views on Lachlan's competency and suggest he'd be better off keeping a long way away from me.

Sadly, Lachlan wasn't finished with us. Head down to meet the other guys – there were five of us – to head off on the bus to the airport for an early flight. Only two of us at this stage The bus arranged for us was the Manly Sea-Eagles team coach, perhaps the largest form of road transport in Australia. And then Lachlan appears with a message to say that the other guys will catch a taxi, so off two of us start. My phone rings. It is one of the other blokes to say that they are almost there. 'You didn't tell Lachlan to tell the driver to leave without you?' 'No, why would we do that?'

Actually the question should probably have been why would Lachlan come up tell us otherwise. I ask him. Seems he got it wrong but again, rain in Peru.

Now whoever owns the Diamant probably thinks all going along nicely and may even think that Lachlan is even vaguely capable of carrying out his job. He has cost them the account of the PR company who organised us and numerous others to stay there. Apparently, they got just too many complaints. The sooner we have a massive recession and people like Lachlan find out that having a job involves actually attempting to do it competently the better.

Therein lies the lesson, and rant, for today.

» See the positive side Ken, the wine was not corked :-D

actually, we had a german riesling which did have a tiny bit of taint but that wasn't the fault of sydney's own fawlty towers.

frtunately, we had 7 bottles between the three of us so we were covered - not that we drank everything but helps to be prepared.

sorry to hear of that ken. customer service has definitely gone in the shitter the last 10 years or so. it's just as bad over here in the states unless you're paying $150 or more for your room.........which i do not.

the hotel i stayed at when i was there in sydney was quite nice (w/ lovely ladies at the counter as well). it was the vibe hotel and it was a mile or so from the stamford double bay.

bruce

» sorry to hear of that ken. customer service has definitely gone in the

» shitter the last 10 years or so. it's just as bad over here in the

» states unless you're paying $150 or more for your room.........which i do

» not.

»

» the hotel i stayed at when i was there in sydney was quite nice (w/ lovely

» ladies at the counter as well). it was the vibe hotel and it was a mile

» or so from the stamford double bay.

»

» bruce

i assure you that this place was well over that price - thank god i wasn't paying.

» » sorry to hear of that ken. customer service has definitely gone in the

» » shitter the last 10 years or so. it's just as bad over here in the

» » states unless you're paying $150 or more for your room.........which i

» do

» » not.

» »

» » the hotel i stayed at when i was there in sydney was quite nice (w/

» lovely

» » ladies at the counter as well). it was the vibe hotel and it was a

» mile

» » or so from the stamford double bay.

» »

» » bruce

»

»

» i assure you that this place was well over that price - thank god i wasn't

» paying.

LMAO!!!

bruce

» On the bright side, you had some fantastic wines! :-)

if memory serves, kicked off with a terrific fizz, gosset 1999; the german a touch off; a 1986 mcwilliams lovedale semillon - sensational; an amazing pichon baron 1990 - seemed about 2 years old - gave it to a mate for his wedding years ago and he remembered and brought it along (wife doesn't drink red); a fab roumier bussieres 1988, a wonderful 2003 raymond lafon - drunk too much of this of late. we respectfully chose not to open the port, an 85 taylors from memory.

» if memory serves, kicked off with a terrific fizz, gosset 1999; the german

» a touch off; a 1986 mcwilliams lovedale semillon - sensational; an amazing

» pichon baron 1990 - seemed about 2 years old - gave it to a mate for his

» wedding years ago and he remembered and brought it along (wife doesn't

» drink red); a fab roumier bussieres 1988, a wonderful 2003 raymond lafon -

» drunk too much of this of late. we respectfully chose not to open the port,

» an 85 taylors from memory.

Ahhh, good news. At the reception we'll be serving nothing but Ben Ean Mozzille out of the paper bag...nothing but the best for my friends...:ok:

This time, we arrive from the airport. No one at the door, no one to get the bags, say hello etc

:rotfl:

Colt is right.

Harden the F@#K up!

Forum members should be aware that Ken would complain if his bed is not turned down or if the chocolate is not placed on his pillow :wink:

»

»

» Forum members should be aware that Ken would complain if his bed is not

» turned down or if the chocolate is not placed on his pillow

to be fair, they did have some nice chocolates on the pillow, which hardly compensates for lack of sleep.

oh, how you blokes can twis things. all i wanted to do was to make certain that any members of the forum visiting sydney enoyed their stay to the fullest extent possible and this is the thanks....

» » and i should mention that i had to pay for the dinner - it was not a

» » freebie.

» I that case you would have only ordered an entree.

you are kidding, aren't you! think i got this fat from entrees? this from the man who sells me cigars, comes round and smokes them (not to mention depleting the rum stocks) and then has the hide to sell me more - which he will again smoke. see you thursday.

and bruce, quite how me paying for a dinner in sydney equates to you hopping the pacific to feed at my expense is beyond me, but i do admire the optimisim.

» » » and i should mention that i had to pay for the dinner - it was not a

» » » freebie.

» » I that case you would have only ordered an entree.

»

»

» you are kidding, aren't you! think i got this fat from entrees? this from

» the man who sells me cigars, comes round and smokes them (not to mention

» depleting the rum stocks) and then has the hide to sell me more - which he

» will again smoke. see you thursday.

»

» and bruce, quite how me paying for a dinner in sydney equates to you

» hopping the pacific to feed at my expense is beyond me, but i do admire

» the optimisim.

i'll bring the cigars then!!! :-D

bruce