Calling forHoyo De Monterrey Reviews

OK...lets skip Guantanamera until I sneak one in Kens next blind tasting.

Calling for HDM Reviews. Each one, old, new, more than one review is fine.

Each review goes into the draw for a 3 pack of HDM Epicure No 2. We will let this run 10 days or so as there is a big range to cover.

To your lighters gentlemen :cool:

HdM 2003 Piramide EL...

Let me start by saying this is the best cigar I've had the chance to smoke in roughly 5 years of off and (now) on smoking.

Construction/Appearance: 25/25...A pure beauty to behold. Wrapped in a dark chocolate colored wrapper, it was so oily it was oozing little spots right down to the nub.

Smoking Characteristics: 24/25...A very slow and cool burner, it burned almost perfectly, only requiring a few very tiny hits of the xikar. Draw was absolutely outstanding. Easy and very pleasant exhaling through the nose.

Flavor/Aroma: 25/25...Prelight aroma of cocoa, tobacco. Cold draw was pure tobacco. Lit effortlessly, exhibiting a blast of spice right away that quickly faded to a mild body of vanilla, honey, citrus and dried flowers wrapped around a core of very refined and extremely smooth cedary tobacco. 2/3 in and wham! Changeling. Still super smooth and refined but gaining body with nuts in the fairly long finish. 3/3 changeling again. Gaining even more body...spice and heavy wood but still fruity which is typical of HdM. Ended with blasts of heavy spice and pepper. I felt it was three cigars in one and extremely complex and balanced on the palette.

Overall Impression: 25/25...What a special cigar. It had something for everyone. Went from mild to medium to full...something I'd never experienced before. It lacked for nothing IMO and (cliche though it may sound) was truly an epiphany smoke for me.

99/100...nuff said...

hehe...:-P

In response to Rob's call, I pulled out a well-aged Hoyo du Roi. This corona had a nicely oiled, medium brown wrapper. The pre-light aromas were of wood and fermented tobacco. It lit easily, and drew perfectly, with just a moderate reistance.

The initial draws were surprisingly strong, with an immediate intense sweetness followed by smooth, aged peppercorns on the tongue. The cigar was medium to full-bodied with a core profile of aged hardwood. It was not a particularly complex cigar, but it had its own distinct personality and remained consistent throughout. The finish was long and hot-sweet. This combination of spicy hot and sweet has always been an intriguing one for me. I used to like "Red Hots" cinnamon candy, that gave me that burst of sweetness, followed by a lingering hot spiciness.

My "Valley of the King" continued in this vein until the last third, when it became more full-bodied, with a more intense peppery spice on the finish. A slight sourness began to show itself. I extinguished it with about an inch and a half left.

My du Roi would be easily recognized by anyone who is familiar with the Le Hoyo line. It is a good example of an aged Hoyo, and I would give it 89 points.