Mag 46's Arrived/Humidor Upgrade Question

I just wanted to Thank everyone on this forum for turning me onto the Mag 46. I knew very little about them before, and now I feel like I am finally ready to smoke one. I ordered a box and whoever (Lisa, Rob etc) picked out my box did a fantastic job, they are oily and probably one of the nicest looking cigars I have ever seen. I usually smoke a cigar as soon as I get it, but I have been busy, so they are resting in my Humidor until I can smoke one.

Also, Thank you to everyone that replyed to my thread about my new Avallo 1000 Humidor. I love it and almost everyone that replied said to buy the biggest humidor I could afford. Well, I am almost out of room, I should have listened to everyone. I never thought I would fill it so quick. I already talked to Matt about upgrading. And I really want to upgrade to a chilled unit. I am tired of keeping my apartment so cold to keep the temp down.

How do you guys like the chilled units?

I was told it was OK to stack the boxes upright with the foot facing up. What do you guys think?

Thank you

Living in Florida, it is totally cost prohibitive to pay the electric bill to keep the house cooled down to 70 degrees or lower. I purchased a THC humidor from Bob at Aristocrat, yet I have seen Matt's work and he makes a quality humidor as well.

If you can spend the money on a temp controlled humidor, get it. Go larger than you ever thought possible, then still go larger. I can stack full boxes any way possible to fit them in. No problem on the side IMHO.

Tampa

I am very happy and I like my Avallo DDD Chilled unit very much.

It does take some maintenance in that you have to check the drip collection jar to insure it is not full periodically. I guess you could put a bigger one in but then it would take up more room. :-P If you want to call that maintenance. :-D

It gets very humid in the summers here so it is a must IMHO.

If you really want to go all-out, find a closet in your home and convert it into a walk-in humidor. I did this seven years ago and it cost me about $1700 total. I'm storing 140+ boxes comfortably. Best investment I ever made -- my smokes stay at 62/62 ALL THE TIME.

» I hope you'll post a review when you do smoke one. They can take some time

» to reveal their

» true selves. I've got an '05 box that are just now starting to turn

» the corner.

Same here. I have them marked for 2010.

Thank you to everyone that replied. I will post a review of one as soon as I smoke one. I am hoping tonight. I keep looking at them and drooling. They are so oily looking, I can not wait.

I will also keep you guys posted on the progress of upgrading.

Again, Thank you to everyone.

» » I hope you'll post a review when you do smoke one. They can take some

» time

» » to reveal their

» » true selves. I've got an '05 box that are just now starting to

» turn

» » the corner.

»

» Same here. I have them marked for 2010.

2010 sounds just about right.

I just retrofitted my Aristocrat MxT-19.5 with a THC unit... Bob shipped everything out with mounting brackets, templates, and clear instructions...

With last summer getting to 104-106 F during the day, the house AC was having trouble keeping up.

If I had it to do all over again, I would buy a temp controlled unit from the start... mine is steady at about 67 F right now, and the room is about 79.

» If you really want to go all-out, find a closet in your home and convert it

» into a walk-in humidor. I did this seven years ago and it cost me about

» $1700 total. I'm storing 140+ boxes comfortably. Best investment I ever

» made -- my smokes stay at 62/62 ALL THE TIME.

I have been thinking of doing this myself.

Did you convert it yourself or hire someone?

I would love to hear the details and see a pic.

» » If you really want to go all-out, find a closet in your home and convert

» it

» » into a walk-in humidor. I did this seven years ago and it cost me

» about

» » $1700 total. I'm storing 140+ boxes comfortably. Best investment I

» ever

» » made -- my smokes stay at 62/62 ALL THE TIME.

»

» I have been thinking of doing this myself.

»

» Did you convert it yourself or hire someone?

»

» I would love to hear the details and see a pic.

I bought some Reflectix insulation to line the closet; an active humidification device from Vigilant, Inc. (Guardian 500); and a wine cellar cooling unit (Breezaire WK2200). I had a handyman install the Reflectix and tape off the seams/gaps etc. to make sure the closet would have a decent vapor seal. He also ran a power cord into the closet so that I could plug the humidification and cooling units into a power source. Finally, he built a shelf on which to mount the cooling unit. I could have done some of the manual tasks myself, but the handyman was a family friend who was doing some other stuff for us anyway. I think I paid him $100 for the work for my walk-in. I had also bought a decent number of Spanish cedar boards which the handyman made into shelving.

I'll edit this post over the next few days to add pics.

Edit 6/28: Here's the photos of the walk-in: http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/board_entr...er&descasc=DESC