tiger woods

Colt, Im 25 so I havent seen too much video on nicklaus from his "hay day" but even Jack has said that although he drives the ball better than Tiger, Tiger's shortgame (around the greens and putting) is much better than mine ever was. Anyone that knows golf will tell you that the short game is the most critical aspect of the game. Nicklaus has admitted that the game is very different today with both the strength and conditioning of modern athletes and technology and equipment breakthroughs. For these reasons its tough to compare but my money is on Tiger. Today their are more outstanding golfers he is competing against and winning at a faster rate.

Saying Tiger is "lucky" to win is just nonsense. Rocco and him both took 284 shots to force a playoff, you mean to tell me that after 284 shots Rocco and Tiger both didnt incur some good and bad breaks? If Rocco and Tiger draw the same bad lie in the rough 220 yrds from the green its not luck that Tiger can get it to the green.

If every tourney was 1 round then luck would be a much bigger factor (although still minimal) but thats why tourneys are 4 rounds, a true test to see who is the best.

» For all the golf fanatics:

»

» Nicklaus at his best.

»

» Woods at his best.

»

» Augusta, St. Andrews, or whichever tough course.

»

» Who wins?

Are they playing with equipment from their own time?

Would love to see what Nicklaus could do with modern equipment & vice versa.

Would be a great match either way but this is like trying to compare '79 Steelers vs '89 Niners 0r '72 dolphins vs '07 Patriots just cant really do it because of the huge differences all around the sport, equipment and athletes.

OK I gotta take Tiger

Aavkk and GS, I was thinking all footing equal - equipment, etc. A test of physical and mental skill.

For me it's a tough call, mainly because I'm not an ardent follower of the game, but if pressed,

I imagine I'd have to choose Tiger.

As for luck, if we say a shot with a positive outcome is lucky, do we then have to say a shot

with a negative outcome is unlucky? And while luck certainly can come into play in any sport, I

think I agree with the premise that proper preparation tends to swing luck in one's favor.

Wow, so he has a broken tibia, and a damaged ACL in addition to the knee injury and still won the Open? Amazing. He probably should have sat it out, but he can relax for the rest of this year now with that 1.25 mil he took home Sunday.