How is this for a newbie sampler?

Greetings All;

With info found lurking here I have finally come up with a list for my first sampler. I was hoping you guys could give me some input:

I'm looking at starting with 2 each of:

Bolivar Belicosos Finos and Petit Coronas

H Upmann Sir Winston and Mag 46

Hoyo Epicure #1, and #2

Partagas Series P #2, 898 Varnished, and Lusitanias

Trinidad Coloniales and Fundadores

My favorite CC's so far are Trinidad Reyas and the Partagas Serie D # 4, on the NC side my favorites are PAMs, Ashton VSG, and anything Don Pepin.

I have some Cohiba Siglo VI's and Genios resting but I have not tried them yet, same goes for a box of Gold Medals. All from a trip to Cuba last October.

Seeing as the weather is finally nice here in Toronto, I'm hoping to make my way through these samples before my next trip to Cuba this Oct.

Cheers.

Looks good. All I would say is that in my experience the epi#1 and #2 have quite similar flavours to my tastes, so if you want to try out new things you might want to try a different marca of robusto/corona gorda.

» Nice Sampler, yet I believe you meant a Partagas Serie P No. 2, not a serie

» D No.2.

»

» You may want to consider a few Montecristo and Vegas Robaina, 2 excellent

» marcas that provide flavors.

I have tried 2 Monte #2's, and both were not what I was expecting, that's where the Pargatas Serie P #2 comes in :) I also have an Edmundo ready to try as well. Maybe I will try a VR unicos too.

Thank you!

» Looks good. All I would say is that in my experience the epi#1 and #2 have

» quite similar flavours to my tastes, so if you want to try out new things

» you might want to try a different marca of robusto/corona gorda.

I agree. I would also chop off the Lusitanias and Coloniales (to me these are among the least flavorful in these marcas.) Try some smaller and thinner ring gauge cigars which have more intense flavor:

I would nominate the following, all of which I think smoke great young:

Monte 5s

Partagas Serie du Con #3

Ramon Allones Small Club Corona

Smoking small cigars when you are learning also gives you the chance to smoke more cigars in the same time and contrast them.

Guest robustog

You might want to try the Monte #4 or the Dip #4. Both are nice smokes and are smoking good now.

» I agree. I would also chop off the Lusitanias and Coloniales (to me these

» are among the least flavorful in these marcas.) Try some smaller and

» thinner ring gauge cigars which have more intense flavor:

I went for the DCs because I usually go to these when playing poker, this is usually the only time that I have enough time for a DC. I tried a Hoyo DC in Cuba and found it to be on the mild side. I have a Few Punch DCs waiting for me. Do you think with the Sir Winstons and Punch DC's I will have this size covered?

I'm also a beginner and got friendly and helpful Lisa to help me sort a sample pack. The one I've preferred so far has been the Punch Petit Punch, followed by Juan Lopez n2 and RA SCC.

My 2 cents,

Cheers,

George

» I went for the DCs because I usually go to these when playing poker, this

» is usually the only time that I have enough time for a DC. I tried a Hoyo

» DC in Cuba and found it to be on the mild side. I have a Few Punch DCs

» waiting for me. Do you think with the Sir Winstons and Punch DC's I will

» have this size covered?

Coming from someone who alomst exclusively smokes Churchills and DCs, I think you've made a wise choice with the Sir Winstons. I'd also recommend the Bolivar Cornas Gigantes. They're quite a bit less expensive than the Sir Winstons and they're smoking beautifully young. I posted a review of one a week or so ago if you'd like to read it. I'd also recommend the Ramon Allones Estupendos, a special Regional Release, while there are a few left. Once they're gone, they're gone for good.

For DCs, I like the Vegas Robania Don Alejandros quite a bit, and the Hoyo DCs are great. I was a little disappointed with the Punch DC I had a few weeks ago, but it could just need a little more time in the humidor. I've heard strong recommendations for the Saint Luis Rey DC, but was a little disappointed with the one I had awhile back. My favorite DCs are probably the Vegas Robania Don Alejandros, the Hoyo DCs and then a flip of the coin for the Punch and the Partagas Lusitanias.