Cohiba Siglo II

I just had the worst Siglo II I have ever smoked. I dont have the box codes as it was a single purchased about 2 months ago. The wrapper was on the light side in terms of color and a little rough with no oils to speak of. I am used to the darker oilier versions which were full bodied and had character, the cohiba soul I have grown to love (coffee, nuts, a little grassiness, etc...). This example was very light in the mouth with very little thickness to the smoke with just a very watered down flavor. It was cohiba but I had to really focus on the smoke to get any enjoyment out of it. I will say that construction was spot on with a perfect draw of just the right resistance. Overall very disappointing. Prez, are you able to consistently predict whether these sticks will be bombshells based on the wrapper or is there more to the madness that you have perfected? Also, with this cigar have you found it to have any aging potential or will it always be this poor?I will say on record that I didnt receive this smoke from here.

Alan,

I'm not Rob, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but have a couple of thoughts to offer.

Despite all the cachet that goes with the Cohiba name, triple fermented tobacco, etc, they are hand rolled cigars that undergo the same (or at least very similar) aging process that other cigars do.

I've had boxes of Cohibas from both Lineas (or is that 2 out of three with the addition of the Maduro 5s?) from other universally trusted vendors in the past, the authenticity of which I've questioned because they were almost flavorless. Smoking them over a few years, they became what I initially expected them to be. Off hand, I would say that they were about 9 months to a year old when I first tried them, and didn't really get it together for another 3 or more years.

Can't say for sure without the box code, but this may be your issue.

Also might just be that you got a dud. Happens once in a while.

As far as wrapper color goes, I don't think it makes much of a difference, but there are far more experienced folks here who may think differently.

Hope the next one's better!

Alan,

I'll agree with Tigger's comments. Rarely have a fresh off the truck (90 days or less) done anything for me. Cohiba is one marca that the longer the humidor time, the better they become. I prefer Cohiba to have at least 3 years from the box code and at least 2 years inside my humidor of restfull sleep. Cohiba's wrapper shade is typically a lighter shade than lets say a Partagas. I would not call any of the Cohiba Wrappers (Except the Maduro 5 line) dark. May I suggest that you allow the cigars to rest another 4-6 months before sampling them again and see what the additional humidor time does for the taste.

Tampa

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. I was mostly comparing this Siglo II to the very young and very tasty Siglo I's I just recently received from Czar. Those Siglo I's had a slightly darker wrapper and were gleaming with oils very similar to the Siglo IV's I also just received of which I havent had any yet but cant wait.

I have heard from others much more experienced than me that Cohibas need to be aged a little longer than some other marcas but man the Siglo I's Im smoking now from early 07 are just awesome. Maybe those are the exception to the rule. Perhaps Ive just been lucky so far.

Since I started falling down the slippery slope of havanas a year ago I have had excellent examples of just about everything I have been able to get my hands on and I'm sure much of that is a result of Rob and Lisa's quality control. Another reason to buy through them exclusively. Nothing is worse than a bad cigar when you are really looking forward to it.

I have had recent fresh Cohiba Robusto and Siglo IV which I raved about. Wrappers much the same as your siglo 1's (caramel/honey). The Cohiba's had more oil than the IV but the aroma was identical (dry fields and manure).

Keep in mind Alan that those boxes of Sig 1 and IV were hand selected. There may have been a series of boxes passed over.

If someone is looking for cigars to smoke now you have to take aroma into account. The only thing that will pick up greeness or blandness at cold is your nose. This does not mean it is not a good cigar...it is just not a good cigar now.