Secure your loved ones...

Australian driver fined after buckling case of beer in car - but not 5-year-old child

AP

Posted: 2008-05-13 01:30:20

DARWIN, Australia (AP) - An Australian driver who secured a carton of beer in his car with a seat belt but left a 5-year-old child unrestrained was fined 750 Australian dollars (US$710; euro460), police said Tuesday.

Constable Wayne Burnett said he was "shocked and appalled" when he pulled over the unregistered car on Friday in the central Australian town of Alice Springs.

The 30-can carton was strapped in between the two adults sitting in the back seat of the car. The child was also in back, on the vehicle's floor.

"The child was sitting in the lump in the center, unrestrained," Burnett told reporters Tuesday.

"I haven't ever seen something like this before," he said. "This is the first time that the beer has taken priority over a child."

The driver was fined for driving an unregistered and uninsured vehicle, and for failing to ensure a child was wearing a seat belt.

I read that this morning.

The town of "Alice Springs" is what you would refer to as "Dodge City"

Situated near enough to the middle of Australia.

Alcohol, unemployment, desert.

Truly disheartening.

Cosidering the restrictions on purchasing alcohol in the NT, I'm guessing this **** thought the beer was worth more that the kid. After all, he can always have another and get the plasma TV baby bonus on top as well.