Request: Beijing, China

If you know of any cigar friendly places in Beijing then please post them here!

I used to go to a great coffee shop near me (East 4th ring road) where I could sit for an hour and enjoy a Siglo II with a couple of cups of columbian coffee. With the smoking ban due to the Olympics I am now renegaded to a cupboard upstairs and out the back...

I know of three cigar houses in Beijing, one at Jianguomen, one at Fuxingmen and one more at the Regis apartments - none of these allow you to smoke your own though, which is fair enough I suppose, but not great for me :-(

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks :-)

» In Kerry Hotel is bar Centro with good selection of propery stored Cubans

» and they serve probably the best mojito in town.

Thanks for the suggestion Diademo, I'll go check out the bar anyway 'cos I'm a sucker for a good mojito :-D

I would suspect that the bar will now also be non-smoking though, as the ban prohibits smoking just about everywhere, except at home or on the street...

In Beijing you can still smoke in most places. New anti-smoking law is not in force in Beijing before and during Olympic Games. We will see what will happen after Olympics…

From “The Beijing News”:

“The ban was originally designed to be implemented in all public places, but not long after it was released, the government seemed to realize the impracticality of such a wide-ranging ban and modified it to exempt restaurants, bars, internet cafes, and amusement parks, so long as they had separate no-smoking zones. Today's paper quotes Sun Xianli, vice director of the Beijing Patriotic Public Health Campaign Committee, as saying that no-smoking zones are a only temporary arrangement: the ultimate goal is still a total ban.”

Yes, even Health Campaign is patriotic!

Soltino,

Two places where to smoke:

Centro, as mentioned by Diademo, is THE place and yes you can still smoke there even during the Olympics. However rest of the Kerry Center Hotel will have to implement the smoking ban cause they are partner of the Olympics.

Other place to smoke in nice atmosphere is La Casa Del Habano in Westin Hotel. Cosy, good music, comfortable atmosphere.

By the way, I was never imposed by the St Regis Cigar Lounge personnel to smoke only the cigars you buy from them... sounds weird to me really, since they proposed only shitty cigars...

Anyway, if you and Diademo wants to catch up, send me an email ;-) and I show you few other places..

Guib:-) u

You are right about St.Regis Cigar Lounge/Shop. The most annoying thing is that staff and manager (Ms. Liu) don’t know much about cigars at all. BTW is St.Regis open after renovation?

Thanks Guibou :-)

I've only been to the St. Regis once, and that was just to meet a buddy, but I wasn't overly thrilled about the place - if they are redecorating now then maybe it'll be time to go visit again soon.

I'm definitely going to have to go try out the bar in the Kerry Centre then, with two positive recommendations it has to be good! Not a million miles away from me here which is nice too :-)

» You are right about St.Regis Cigar Lounge/Shop. The most annoying thing is

» that staff and manager (Ms. Liu) don’t know much about cigars at all. BTW

» is St.Regis open after renovation?

they should be re-open end of May, early June.

for information, the first La Casa Del Habano is located there.

once re-open, you may try it. good place to smoke, but not enough comfortable... maybe with the renovation theyll change the sofa and the chairs...

Guibou

» I'm definitely going to have to go try out the bar in the Kerry Centre

» then, with two positive recommendations it has to be good! Not a million

» miles away from me here which is nice too :-)

One thing: do not buy cigar at Centro or be extra careful...

The tip is to go to the mall on basement 1, youll find an official Habanos booth store. Buy there, smoke at Centro ;-) !

Guibou

»
» Anyway, if you and Diademo wants to catch up, send me an email ;-) and I
» show you few other places..
»
» Guib:-) u

Guibou & Diademo --

I am visiting Beijing at the end of May with my wife & son -- we are coming to see our daughter who is studying at the Beijing Language and Culture University. We are arriving on May 29th or 30th -- and will be in Beijing for 7 days before we leave for other parts of China (Xian, Guilin, Yangshuo, Hangzhou, back to Beijing for a day or two, and then home). I would love to meet up and share a cigar and go to Casa de Habano!

Feel free to email me at

I am so looking forward to this trip!!!!

To all,

Here is an idea – if St.Regis is re-opened at the end of May we should try their new LCDH cigar shop and check if it’s fire proof. ;-)

I hope that they will make bigger smoking area – old one was rather claustrophobic.

Anyone interested?

You may can go here I met Siki, the owner in L'Havana last time and he said it is a great place for enjoyng "real " cuban cigars.

http://www.shopping-in-beijing.com/beijing...20Club_354.html

I’ve been in Cigar Club few times. It’s nice place with limited selection of cigars.

It was great when they had some Cubans working there. Last one (Boris) left because he couldn’t get used to life in Beijing (and for sure he was fed up of Chinese management). Poor guy, probably you can’t get him out of Cuba anymore… :-)

» I’ve been in Cigar Club few times. It’s nice place with limited selection

» of cigars.

»

» It was great when they had some Cubans working there. Last one (Boris)

» left because he couldn’t get used to life in Beijing (and for sure he was

» fed up of Chinese management). Poor guy, probably you can’t get him out of

» Cuba anymore… :-)

Thank you for the tip, next time I meet him I can say that he has limited selction of cigars LOL

» Soltino,

»

» Two places where to smoke:

»

» Centro, as mentioned by Diademo, is THE place and yes you can still

» smoke there even during the Olympics. However rest of the Kerry Center

» Hotel will have to implement the smoking ban cause they are partner of the

» Olympics.

»

» Guibou:-) u

Hi Guibou or other smokers in Beijing,

Fancy for a stogie session this Saturday (May 17th) 3pm at Centro???

In town tomorrow staying at Westin. i will be the guy smoking a Punch DC...PM me if available.

» Hi Guibou or other smokers in Beijing,

» Fancy for a stogie session this Saturday (May 17th) 3pm at Centro???

» In town tomorrow staying at Westin. i will be the guy smoking a Punch

» DC...PM me if available.

I dont know why I feel like happy today...

What about I invite you to the Cigar Party for the Launch of the Bolivar Armonia, Region Release HKG, Friday eveningat 6pm?

Let me know if you want to get in ASAP as I have to finalize the invite latest tomorrow morning...

Oh.... Soltino and Diademo,

You wanna come?

Let me know, I invite you too guys!

Guib:-D u

Guibou, Fatcigar,

Thank you for invitation.

Unfortunately I can’t make it. I already confirmed a wine tasting on Friday and on Saturday I’m out of town…

Hope that we can make it some other time.

Enjoy your cigars!

Diademo

» »

» I dont know why I feel like happy today...

» What about I invite you to the Cigar Party for the Launch of the Bolivar

» Armonia, Region Release HKG, Friday eveningat 6pm?

»

» Let me know if you want to get in ASAP as I have to finalize the invite

» latest tomorrow morning...

»

» Oh.... Soltino and Diademo,

» You wanna come?

» Let me know, I invite you too guys!

»

» Guib:-D u

I am going to Friday nite Cigar event too.

How could i recognize you??

i will be the smallest potato there smoking a freebie (hopefully they hand out cigars) & wearing a 'red rose' LOL :-P :-P :-P

» I am going to Friday nite Cigar event too.

» How could i recognize you??

» i will be the smallest potato there smoking a freebie (hopefully they hand

» out cigars) & wearing a 'red rose' LOL :-P :-P :-P

I ll be at LCDH around 5pm.

You can ask anyone there for Guillaume.

See you!

Guibou

» Oh.... Soltino and Diademo,

» You wanna come?

» Let me know, I invite you too guys!

Hi Guibou and Fatcigar,

Damn, that would have been great to meet up with you guys but I already have other plans for this evening and all of tomorrow :-(

Have a great time and be sure to post some pictures of the event on FOH - I want to see what I missed ;-)

Let's arrange something for another time Guibou - Diademo suggested a trip to the St Regis after it has been redecorated, sounds like a good plan to me!

Chris

(hopefully they hand

» out cigars)

Well, don't be too excited 'cause you won't smoke the Bolivar Armonia :-( ... unless you're the winner of the lucky draw...

The cigars for the evening will be:

Monte 4...

Cohiba Corona Especial...

Bolivar Corona Gigantes (cab of 50)...

If you join us at 5pm in LCDH Westin, we will be tasting the HdM Epicure Especial, rolled in H.Upmann and boxed in Feb'08.

Cheers ;-) !

Guibou