ROLL YOUR OWN 7.1 ALL THINGS COME

SmokinAl

» That is coming up a treat Al , I'll have to pop over and take a squiz.

You're always welcome here Wazza. Ccrash in the guest room instead of sleeping with the pythons down by the creek :-)

We should do a TGIF BBQ here (Thank God It's Finished) in the next week or two.

Thanks to all for your kinds words.

Cheers,

Al.

Hi Alain,

It's looking fantastic! :-D

That Paduak is beautiful; the shavings are as bright as carrot peelings! Keep up the good work!!! And I'm looking forward to the 'viewing'! :-) :-) :-)

Any hot photos of those torsion boxes??

Cheers,

George

» Any hot photos of those torsion boxes??

»

» Cheers,

»

» George

Do you mean in compromising positions? :-D

I still haven't done the top tray yet. Just in case Ken want's to give it a shot, but if I haven't heard in the next few days I can show you what the finished interior will look like.

You're welcome to drop by some evening for a coffee and a smoke if you like George. Drop me a line if you're heading West End way.

Cheers,

Al.

That'd be great! Thanks :-D

Was just down in bris on the week end.. don't know the next time I'll be down though... shift work and all. And you must be busy planning weddings! ;-)

Cheers,

George

» » » once you find out, you can finish it....unless it's

» Colt45.:lookaround:

» » et tu, brute?

»

» I didn't know you spoke Portugese.

I don't, but I do like Portuguese wine. And speaking of wine, this thread reminds me of another member,

whom I won't name - let's refer to him lovingly as "the git" - who had the great idea of creating a wine

section of the forum, which ultimately became the Alcoholics Not So Anonymous section.

Only problem is, said member never uses the alcohol forum, and posts where he pleases.

But I'll say no more, as I would not want this to contribute to my downfall ;-)

Austin, I'll be watching my back:lol:

» Only problem is, said member never uses the alcohol forum, and posts where

» he pleases.

Colt...he does everything as, where and when he pleases ;-)

He popped in yesterday replendent in blue blazer. Off to a Champagne tasting. Tough week coming up for him...interstate wine tasting...then fishing for trout in New Zealand...then another interstate wine tasting.

How does he keep up such a pace :confused:

• 6 months later...

All things come to he who waiteth...provided he who waiteth works like hell whilst he waiteth.

This weeks exciting adventure is actually kind of un-exciting. I’ve been working for the past few days on aspects of the Hang-Ten that don’t really fall into the tutorials. Things like solid wood edging and the humidification tray and base. I really need to get the box finished before I do the polishing which will be the next part of the tute. I think that’ll be done this week.

The solid wood edging has changed a few times. It’s hard to get this looking “right”. The right colour, grain and proportion can be bedevilling at times and this time was not an exception. I started using something called Ringed Gidgee, an Australian desert timber that is as hard as nails but polishes up beautifully. After doing the whole box and stepping back and looking at it, I decided I didn’t like it. Cut it off, start again.

Now, the box is edged in a wood called Paduak (pronounced Pad-ook). It’s an amazing pinky red colour that will oxidise to a chocolate brown-deep red colour. This stuff has the most amazing smell, for me, a nice change from Spanish Cedar. I’ll pack a few shavings into a bag so the eventual owner can see for himself. Think RyJ Exhibicion #4 on steroids. It’s a similar floral-fruity taste but as a smell.

The base looks simple but hides a lot of complexity. It’s a sliding tray that will be mortised into the right hand legs, forming a “secret drawer” that will house the humidification and a few other bits and pieces. The benefit of this is you don’t have to open the humidor to check your cigars. Just slide out the bottom to get to your cigar tools and refresh the beads. It’ll make better sense once you see the finished product.

It’s all looking a bit ugly right now. Sawdust, glue-runs and rough timber is the order of the day, but that’s what it’s all about. :-)

Cheers,

Al.

image6251.jpg