Upmann no.2 - a temperamental cigar

I got a box of ECAMAY02's about 6 months ago. ROTT the first tasted pretty good, then the next 5 or so were down right awful, then the next posed a glimpse of brilliance, then back to awful.

I now have about 8 left, and smoked one this afternoon which was one of the better ones being probably an 88. Good consistent Upmann mustiness and classic old school tobacco flavours. Not overly complex but a thoroughly enjoyable smoke.

What was going on with the last 80% I smoked?

Next time I dip in to the box, I really won't know what to expect.

Has anyone ever had such an inconsistent box before?

I know what you mean. I just picked up a box from ECA June 02. I've only had one and it was completely plugged. I sold 5 to Jaylax and the one he smoked he thought was totally underwhelming and did absolutely nothing for him. I'm going to smoke another this week to see if I have any better luck.

As a rule Upmanns do need a hell of a long time to come around. I would put a 5 year old box of No 2's as the beginning of the sampling stage. Then again there were some woeful cigars also being produced in 2001/2002.

HSA at the time was coming out of its darkest period in History. 02 was its comeback year nad it has improved every year since.

Assuming your box is not a victim of an inconsistent roller then it may be just a case the cigars need another two to three years.

I've had the same experience with a box ECA JUN 02. First one out the box was very bland. I've had a couple more in the past month or so and although better than the first, still doesn't seem to be up to par.

I got an ENE03 box from Lisa a few years ago that is one of the darkest, most tannic, and strongest damned cigars I've ever had. Most of 'em are still fast asleep. Hopefully they will morph from unbearably strong to almost unbearably strong.

» I got an ENE03 box from Lisa a few years ago that is one of the darkest,

» most tannic, and strongest damned cigars I've ever had. Most of 'em are

» still fast asleep. Hopefully they will morph from unbearably strong to

» almost unbearably strong.

180 degrees in seven months. Totally bland to unbearably strong. Now that's what I call tempermental.