2006 Layer Cake Shiraz

» Anyone know anything about this Aussie vino? My wife says it's her new

» favorite wine. I need a second opinion.

I have had it but don't remember a lot about it. I think I tried it at a wine tasting awhile back. If you and your wife like Shiraz, I'd strongly recommend the portfolio from Thorn Clarke. Both the Terra Barossa and the Shotfire Ridge Shirazes are spectacular. Robert Parker and Wine Spectator consistently rate these as some of the best around. I'm fond of both and love the dense, concentrated black fruit flavors as well as the silky tannins.

» think it must be an export only brand. any info on the winemaker?

It's produced by Pure Love Wines and a guy named Jayson Woodbridge of Hundred Acre wine fame if that rings a bell for you, Ken. It's a Barossa Valley Shiraz costing around $15 U.S. a bottle.

hi i do know the producer it is jayson woodbridge a winemaker from napa, producing one hundred acre both in USA and Australia.

Your wife is correct though it is a nice easy drinking style with good flavours.

bob mc lean...mclean's farm wines Barossa Australia

actually Ken Gargett if you need to know more give me a call Bob

» I really like this stuff. I bought a case and have given a few bottles

» away and drank a few. I think its the best under $20 bottle I've had.

If you like it, I highly recommend both the Terra Barossa and the Shotfire Ridge from Thorn Clarke. The Terra Barossa should be just under $20 and the Shotfire Ridge will be just over $20 a bottle. Both outstanding wines and are highly acclaimed by Parker and Wine Spectator.

» Anyone know anything about this Aussie vino? My wife says it's her new

» favorite wine. I need a second opinion.

Pure Love 2006 Layer Cake Shiraz (It's back) and under $20 Layer Cake is back! This is the new vintage of this popular Shiraz. From four vineyards in the Barossa hills, this wine is just what you would expect a layer cake to be - full of richness, fruit, mocha, chocolate, and hints of spice. Hard to pass up!

Here is a little background on who created this wine!!!

Jayson Woodbridge wine maker he is the maker of Hundred Acre the 04 is $200 + and I have seen the 02 going for $559

Average vine age of 40+ years, and the same fanatical attention to detail as the Hundred Acre wines, but with that ultra-luxe, creamy, detailed fruit only the Barossa can give. Talk about over-delivering for the price! Full-bodied but not over the top, look for this one to get some serious “love” from the pundits over the next few months.

The initial release is four wines made of “100% pure Shiraz” grown in and around the prestigious “Golden Mile” region of the Barossa Valley. Framed by the desert land of the Great Australian Outback in the North, the Great Southern Ocean in the South, and bordered by mountain ranges that reach 2500 feet in elevation, the Barossa Valley represents nature’s constant struggle between ocean and desert. The wines have four distinct identities, both in terms of how they taste and how they’ll resonate with different people and each with its own unique label evocative of the place in which the wines are grown.

“Layer Cake" reflects the varied and complex terroirs, red soils, limestone, intensely dry climate found in Australia’s most distinguished wine region—the Barossa valley. “The wine is sought out by experienced wine consumers and enthusiasts eager for value and greater complexity combined” says winemaker Jayson Woodbridge. “Layered, aromatic and creamy, they can be enjoyed in a critical setting or in a casual environment.”

If I had more room I would pick up a few cases and put it away for a few years!!!

» Can you come and write my wine labels and PR i can supply the cigars

» bob mclean Barossa

bob, try flicking the photos through to rob. he might have more luck.

for those from whom this might seem an odd post, bob has been sending me a photo of him and the winemaker and various cigars but i have been unable to post them (and before i get the usual ludite references, may i point out that someone else on thsi planet is obviously even worse than i am with technology - sorry bob - but even more astounding, turned to me for assistance. my proudest moment - imagine how i would have felt if i could have managed to post the photos).