Hoyo De Monterrey Double Corona ASB March 07

» Hoyo De Monterrey Double Corona ASB March 07

» There is a periphery greenness to the cream

» which I find difficult to describe. I suppose the closest I can get to is

» to throw a few chopped chives into a tub of Philadelphia cream cheese. I

» have no doubt it is an element of youth and that the “chives” will

» disappear over the short term and be replaced with a sweeter profile.

»

» It came to me that when I am back

» Thursday I will dissect a HDM DC from the same box and attempt to confirm

» my suspicions that the proportion used increases along its length.

»

» I feel they have potential to become a very good cigar. It is all

» dependent if the green chive elements becomes the caramelized sugar that I

» believe it will.

Rob,

Fascinating observation about the "chive" notes. Have you observed this progression from chive to caramel in other cigars? If this is in fact the same flavor component that accounts for the characteristic caramelness in the PL marca, what do you think would account for its early presence in those blends?

I'm looking forward to your dissection!

Wilkey

I too look forward to what you find when you rip one apart. :-)

I am very curious how the DC matches up to the Churchill.

I have been hesitant to go for these mostly because they need time and I didnt wanna wait. :-D

»

» Fascinating observation about the "chive" notes. Have you observed this

» progression from chive to caramel in other cigars? If this is in fact the

» same flavor component that accounts for the characteristic caramelness in

» the PL marca, what do you think would account for its early presence in

» those blends?

»

» I'm looking forward to your dissection!

»

» Wilkey

Wilkey i am going to be very unscientific here :lol:

Certain green notes in a cigar are just signs of poorly fermented tobacco. I don't think they ever come good.

Other green notes however have a sweetness about them. Have you ever had green tea icecream? Similar but obviously without the intensity of the sweetness. My experience is that the green elements here evolve into a caramelized sugar sweetness. Young Por larranaga are very similar and the chives of green tea notes I often find.

• 7 months later...

Hoyo De Monterrey Double Corona ASB March 07

Selected from a dress box of 25. I have to come clean I have never really gravitated to the HDM DC. Perhaps it is the size…it is a large commitment and the older I get the less the long term commitments I want to make. Still about 2 months ago I noticed local clients purchasing repeat boxes of recent HDM DC. I tried a few on their recommendation and I was pleasantly surprised and they were a far superior cigar than I had experienced in recent years. So this morning was time for a full review.

Lovely wrapper on this HDM DC. In the main Double Corona’s have exceptional wrappers and although this one didn’t visually jump out at me….to the touch it was silk. Aroma at cold was deep, rich….peat marsh…a little vegetal but not mistaking the core of perfect tobacco. Construction was almost perfect. Slight soft spot just above the band towards the foot. Nothing really to worry about.

image6129.jpg

image6130.jpg

image6131.jpg

Clipped the cap and the draw required the slightest of pulls. On the palate there was a nice mix of simple tobacco. Fired up the foot not really knowing how it would come out of the gate. The first impressions were the lack of pepper spice. Instead there was an immediate creamy smoothness in a light medium bodied style. I don’t think there is any doubt that opening sections of the HDM DC feature a predominance of Seco and Volado. This cigar puts you in the same frame of mind as putting on a Marvin Gaye or Al Green CD in that your heart rate drops and you are transported into a world of complete serenity. With no edginess to this cigar you are forced to lilt and flow along with the creamy smoothness touched with milk coffee. There is a periphery greenness to the cream which I find difficult to describe. I suppose the closest I can get to is to throw a few chopped chives into a tub of Philadelphia cream cheese. I have no doubt it is an element of youth and that the “chives” will disappear over the short term and be replaced with a sweeter profile. Either way I was quite enjoying the flavour mix as it forced me to really think about what I was tasting and the longer term ramifications.

image6132.jpg

Second third now and the HDM DC is a little richer. The milk coffee is darker, the cream thicker with more substance. The chives still on the outskirts but having trouble showing through with the same clarity as in the opening. True Medium bodied now. The HDM DC is delivering a very nice performance without demanding a lot from me. I continue to work away looking forward to the next draw. It came to me that when I am back Thursday I will dissect a HDM DC from the same box and attempt to confirm my suspicions that the proportion used increases along its length. First real signs of pepper through the nose. A succession of quick draws spurs a little spice tantrum. Nice.

image6133.jpg

The final third is on the fuller side of Medium. Pepper accessible now on demand. All in all it is a ballsier cigar from its opening. The mid palate cream and milk coffee is now shortbread and black coffee cut with a little cream. There are some “me too”..”me too” whimpers of caramelized sugar on the outskirts but it is unconvincing. With a little more time I think that it will be a true feature.

With two inches to go the HDM DC started burning a little hot and biter. I persisted somewhat but had lost interest.

Overall a very nice cigar and I have transferred a dozen to my private locker. I feel they have potential to become a very good cigar. It is all dependent if the green chive elements becomes the caramelized sugar that I believe it will. If so then it will be a 93. Will need to wait 12-24 months to find out as it is not way off the mark now.

88/100 4/6 Smokerings.

image6134.jpg